• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Possible health warning

Status
Not open for further replies.

ApOsTle51

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2008
UK
Read about a chap over on the PS sub-forum who had to make a visit to his GP due to possible Nic overdose.

Seemed to have similar symptoms to a nic overdose but :

Was in the hospital for two days with what I thought was nicotine poisoning. Ive only been vaping the 6mg or 12mg juice but started to get extremely dizzy and sick.
The doctor told me it was not nicotine poisoning but sysemic absorbtion from lithium batteries.
The battery was cracked on the inside and allowed the lithium from the battery to vape with the e-liquid.

Very Interesting.
Several people previously have mentioned your symptoms on this forum , and most advisory replies put it down as Nic overdose.

Sysemic absorbtion of lithium from a damaged battery is another Risk which people shouldn't rule out with these things.

just be aware guys , If this is a factual account it's another thing to watch out for.

ApO.

ApOsTle51

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2008
UK
Thing is I'm not sure how solid Lithium from a battery would break down to form a gaseous vapour that can be inhaled , or even if it does.

I know Li-poly batteries if punctured will combust instantly in contact with oxygen, but i have no idea of the make up of Lithium ion cells and if they do produce a non-combustable gas if damaged.

Even still the more we know the better.

SOME INFO ON LITHIUM

edit : seems it is possible.

excerpt from : HERE lithium-ion battery data sheet

Potential Health Effects: ACUTE (short term): see Section 8

for exposure controls In the event that this battery has been ruptured, the electrolyte solution contained within the battery would be corrosive and can cause burns.

Inhalation: Inhalation of materials from a sealed battery is not an expected route of exposure. Vapors or mists from a ruptured battery may cause respiratory irritation

FIRST AID MEASURES

Inhalation : If contents of an opened battery are inhaled, remove source of contamination or move victim to fresh air. Obtain medical advice

Last edited:

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
yeah , Kind of an obvious Risk now. One that seems to have been overlooked for a long time. I've never seen it mentioned before, Got me a little worried tbh.

If big gov. does come down on these devices it's certainly going to be a big factor in the safety of them.

Yes that's the trouble they will be looking hard for a really good excuse to ban them on safety ..........although I think it would be a fairly simple thing for the manufacturers to make a design change that ensure's the batteries are sealed off from any chance of inhaling any fumes from them......it certainly sounds like something that should be done sooner rather than later, if there is the potential of inhaling fumes from battery chemicals.

deewal

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2008
In a house.
Yes that's the trouble they will be looking hard for a really good excuse to ban them on safety ..........although I think it would be a fairly simple thing for the manufacturers to make a design change that ensure's the batteries are sealed off from any chance of inhaling any fumes from them......it certainly sounds like something that should be done sooner rather than later, if there is the potential of inhaling fumes from battery chemicals.

Best delete this thread then as anyone can use it against us, true or untrue. :confused:
I only use USB passthrough's now (even though they are very unreliable and expensive) but it is something that should urgently addressed. How can our suppliers do anything about it ? They don't manufacture them. They probably don't have a "Use By" date on the boxes.

Angela

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2009
Hertfordshire, England
Just to add to this one: at the time, I questioned the OP of that thread that I thought it was strange that he didn't report any 'burning' sensations as a symptom, which is the usual main symptom of this kind of poisoning. Apart from nearly taking my head off in the thread, he then went and posted a visitor message on my profile which states:

"Brush your teeth you dirty Brit"

Pretty much decided there and then that he was not playing with a full deck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread