Prospect Epipe by SMOKtech

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to use an 18500 on my Prospect epipe. I've purchased an extension ring and it comes with a safety fuse, but do I need anything else to be safe from overheating or anything "nasty" from happening? I've not used a mod before and I'm just trying to be smart before I make a stupid mistake and blow up my face . Any advice would be welcome.

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
You should be good. In general, a battery should give some pretty obvious warning signs before you blow up your face. If your battery, at any point during operation gets hot: Stop what you're doing and put the mod in a safe spot, far away from your bodyparts. But you probably already knew that.

What ohms is the tank you're attaching to it?

Additionally, I found this LENGTHY review from @billybc96 posted 9/2/2014. Might help you be slightly more aware of any quirks/features to the device.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
You should only use a safe chemistry battery, also known as "high drain", IMR or Li-Mn batteries.

Battery Basics for Mods: IMR or protected ICR?

Deeper Understanding of Mod Batteries

I highly recommend you use the AW 18490 IMR 1200mah 18 amp battery; it has the top specs for any 18490/18500 IMR battery (yes, it will fit your mod).

DSC_0162__48083.1412724941.1280.1280.JPG

Last edited:
Nyiddle:

I actually read that same article before I posted, thanks, that lets me know I'm on the right track. I'm just using a Kanger Protank and depending on what juice I'm using at the time, I'm either using 1.8 or 2.2 ohms. Also, it's only gotten a little bit hot once or twice and I always set it aside when that happens. Thank you for the warning though. I have a rba Steam Turbine, but it's such a pain in the ... because I never have the time. I'm sure I could get better and faster, but I haven't been able to find the time...

Baditude:

I'm using an EFest 1100mAh IMR 3.7 LI-MN and I knew I was cool with that. And yes, I know that 18490 will fit my mod, I've got the 18500's. I'm somewhat familiar with the ins & outs of batteries and try to be careful with what I buy. I actually read your 1st. link, but not the 2nd. Thank you for the info.

Anyway, I just wasn't sure if I neede to use something like a Kick?

Thanks guys!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Anyway, I just wasn't sure if I neede to use something like a Kick?
A Kick will provide voltage regulation and adjustable voltage to a mechanical mod. It will also provide some protection circuitry to a mech.

However, it does take up some space in the battery compartment. If you were using an 18650 mod, you'd have to drop down to an 18490/18500 battery for it to fit. And if I recall, you can't use an 18350 battery with the Kick, it has to be at least an 18490/18500.

Not sure if that helps any. :blink:

Last edited:
Reactions: nyiddle
Thanks Batitude, that's what I thought. I figured it would help me tamp down the volts if need be. And as I said, I'm using an 18500, so it'll be fine. I just wanted to be safe and sure. So I should take the stock fuse out and replace it with the Kick? Otherwise I won't have room, right? Is this the route you would take?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread