Protank 2 Microcoil Vapor Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterjuice

Sep 14, 2013
California
I am having a problem with vapor production when microcoiling my protank 2.
Wraps are very tight evenly, reads 1.8ohms, not touching metal.
Using cotton wick, and flavor( tried without and still no production).
Also tried putting silicone on and off

I have tried multiple times and do not know what the problem is?

Has anyone had this problem before?

I need a solution to start vaping away!:2cool:

Blkwdw86

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 6, 2013
Gladewater, TX
What voltage? Check your battery's output voltage with a multimeter to verify?

How's your wick through the coil? Too much/too tight and the juice can't get to the coil efficiently; too loose and it'll flood. It should be loose enough not to feel resistance when you try to pull it out of the coil, but not so loose it'll fall out.

Have two wicks? One for the coil, the other to carry juice in from the tank?

What kind of glow do you get when you dry burn? Just install the head and base on your battery, remove the top post, and inspect that you're getting glow.

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Vapor production also goes hand in hand with air flow, and there is not much you can do to get more air flow without an airflow controller or modifying you Zmax's air flow channels, or the base of the protank and center pin of the head on a Protank2. Another thing, why oh why do people use 28ga or larger wire in a Kanger style head when using a regulated device, that is a another factor of your vapor production, 28ga at that many wraps takes to dang long to heat up, thus why you are having to crank it up to 11.5watts. Step the wire thickness down to 30ga maximum, plus you also have to remember, look at what device Rip Trippers usually has his atomizing devices attached to, a Phazed DNA20, also have to remember he has most his atomizer attachements modified for maximum output for high power output and doing lung hits most times during his demonstrations. Wanting to fog up a room with a Protank design, find a Protank1 someone doesn't want anymore, its airflow is far better than the Protank2 which is more restricted, and it can be done because I have done it, but only with a Protank1 using a 0.7ohm nano-coil head with a cotton wick on a SmokTech Natural and SmokTech Magneto, both mechanicals, using MNKE 18650s with a resetable fuse on the battery, but still I am not getting anywhere near the clouds Rip Trippers is doing.

A properly built 30ga micro or nano coil in a protank, should by my experience produce triple the flavor of a stock head, twice the throat hit, and twice the vapor of a stock head in an Evod, T3, UniTank, or Protank2, Davide, or other such device using a Kanger style BCC head, Protank1 and possibly a Tatroe or Davide tank might reach the Protank1 with four times the flavor, twice the throat hit, and triple the vapor, but as I said above to achieve that you are needing a sub-ohm micro or nano coil on a Mechanical, going that route, cloud chasing, better start doing your research into RDAs, battery chemistry and safety, ohms law, and sub-ohm safety, you'll not get massive vapor out of a Glassomizer/Clearomizer class bottom tank system, they are not really designed to be fog machines.

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Yes, 32ga will heat up a lot quicker, and I use it all the time in my Low to Standard restistance micro-coil rebuilds (1.5-2.5ohms), and best when used on a regulated device, as I said when I am down further, 0.7 to 1.5ohms, I use 30ga as it is more durable than 32ga at that range, and 28ga is better for sub-ohm building in an RDA/RBA/RTA.

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Nothing so much is wrong with 28ga persay, just the limited space you have inside the cup of the head is very small, and as stated before it takes a bit for it to reach top temperature, most regulated devices, auto-power cut off is about 10 seconds so you want top temp as fast as possible. I do recoil and rewick Kanger style heads on several types of tanks, Protank 1, Protank 2, T3, T3S, Evod, Hypertank (G50 Tank Clone). I guess without knowing what you are really expecting out of your tank's performance, all I can do is give pointers as to what has worked for me. If a standard micro-coil is not doing what you expect, mayber try this here with a vertical micro-coil configuration I am using in my Hypertank at present, has to be built according to or close to the specs listed though http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-micro-coil-build-aro-evod-protank-heads.html.

Another configuration you could try is a nano-coil with 30 or 28ga wire at the lowest ohm your Zmax can handle, probably around 1.3 to 1.5 ohms, which currently my Protank1 I am using a 1.15ohm nano-coil with 30ga on a mech mod that can produce a heck of a cloud of vapor, and a 2.0 nano-coil with 32ga on several T3S tanks on my MVP, SVD, and iTaste VV V3 that give stupendous vapor output. However, I am not trying to chase clouds only, I am looking for nic delivery, taste, a build that doesn't leak, gurgle, or flood, throat hit second to last, and vapor dead last. Each build I have done recently has its strengths and weaknesses, but compared to my RDAs on a mech mod, no clearomizer or glassomizer can chuck clouds like a modified Igo-L, Smoktech Octopus, even a higher end Trident RDA can due to several factors, as I said one of the big ones being air-flow, you are kind of limited in what you can modify in airflow on a Kanger style BCC tank. Though my protank1 current nano-coil build is up in competition, only modification on it is in the coil and wick in a horizontal configuration, and again it is very low ohm on a mech, and as it is chain vaped and warms up, performance increases and increases, but still can't do the same clouds an RDA on a mech can do.

Some things to look at if you PT2 is just giving a puff and fart of a vapor cloud, check your coil config, are the legs pulled tight and snug, are the wraps tight and together, how much friction resistance in your cotton wick, just enough to hold onto the inside of the coil loosely or did you pull it in tight, if the later, make it more loose, you are choking your juice flow to much, maybe even try some loose wick on top of the coil. Without seeing what your coils are doing, and how they are performing in person, I am throwing guesses. Still not happy with everything you are doing and not getting the output you are expecting, look at a mech and RDA then.

TastyKakes

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2013
Philadelphia
Yeah 32 did not work out well.
Have you guys actually tried microcoiling a protank2?

I have microcoiled all my protanks, minis, and evods using 30awg kanthal and p&c cotton yarn - works like a dream. 9 wrap meters out to 2 ohms, thread the wick, drop or two of juice to prime said wick, then fill her up, let her sit for 5-10 minutes, and BLAST OFF.

Taylor7617

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
Humble, Texas, United States
I have microcoiled all my protanks, minis, and evods using 30awg kanthal and p&c cotton yarn - works like a dream. 9 wrap meters out to 2 ohms, thread the wick, drop or two of juice to prime said wick, then fill her up, let her sit for 5-10 minutes, and BLAST OFF.

What is your ID of the coil? Using a 5/64 drill bit or something of similar diameter?
I'm using a 1/16" bit so it's slightly smaller....get 2 ohm at 10 wraps. Just curious.

Prolikethis

Oct 4, 2013
USA
Waterjuice, i know the juice you use can make a huge diff on the clouds of vape you blow. Max VG for max clouds is what I'm finding out. Also the way you hit/drag will make a diff too. Drag very slow after a few puffs to make sure your coil is nice and warmed up. Sounds like your doing everything else like a pro. I rewarap pt2's with cotton wicks. 30 gage, 1-1.5 ohms at 8-10 watts, 100% VG in the pt2, gets me huge clouds the ones it sounds like your looking for.

TastyKakes

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2013
Philadelphia
What is your ID of the coil? Using a 5/64 drill bit or something of similar diameter?
I'm using a 1/16" bit so it's slightly smaller....get 2 ohm at 10 wraps. Just curious.

I use 1/16 as well... must've forgotten to undo that first wrap of the coil. I usually do a 10 wrap, that undo the first go around because its never as tight or uniform as the rest.
You're correct though, 9 wrap usually gives me around 1.8.

waterjuice

Sep 14, 2013
California
I use 1/16 as well... must've forgotten to undo that first wrap of the coil. I usually do a 10 wrap, that undo the first go around because its never as tight or uniform as the rest.
You're correct though, 9 wrap usually gives me around 1.8.

I use 28GA Kanthal A1 btw. 12 wraps 1.8 ohms. Does that sound correct? with a 5/64 drill bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread