Provape Quality Goes Way of China

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikewill45

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2012
North Carolina
No, I'm not a Provari hater. I've had a 2.5 model for over 3 years now and it has only recently starting having problems. Considering how many times it's been dropped it has proven to be an excellent piece of equipment. That's the big reason I jumped on the P3 bandwagon a couple months ago. Soon after they dropped the price to 199 I ordered one. I waited with great anticipation to get my hands on a reliable and well built unit that would allow me to go to 5.5 amps and 20 watts and could do sub-ohm as well. The day arrived and like a kid on Christmas morning I opened it up. It looked nice and was well built just like my 2.5. I couldn't wait to fire it up. I put in a battery and screwed on my Kayfun and was ready to enter vaping paradise. Two months later and I'm still waiting to enter that paradise.

Within the first minute or two it started giving me an error condition indicating something was wrong with my atomizer, the same atomizer that worked perfectly on my 3 year old Provari 2.5. It would work for a while and then I'd get the error again. I took the atomizer apart and checked all the connections and everything was just fine. Put it back on and again it worked for a while and then the error again. Maybe it has something to do with the battery, I thought, so I tried a different battery. Same results. Over the next couple weeks I tried a few different atomizers and several different batteries with no improvement. It would also tell me at times that my battery was "empty" even when it hadn't been in long. I'd take it out, put it back in, and all of a sudden it shows the battery is fine. What is going on with this thing?

I called Provape and they sent me a return authorization along with a postage paid label. I sent it back under warranty for them to take a look at it. Found out along the way that Provape knew there were some problems with the unit in that it would at times show a battery "empty" when it was not and also that the bottom spring caused problems and should be replaced. They replaced some electronics in mine, put on the new spring, and updated the programming to allow 6.5 amps and down to I believe .5 ohms. I got it back about a week after sending it in and was excited to try it again.

As mentioned earlier I'm still waiting to enter that vaping paradise that I believed the P3 would provide. It is better than it was as I seldom get the atomizer error any more but I still get the "empty" battery at times, take it out, put it back in with it jumping up to as much as 70%. Also, the spring on this thing is incredibly tight. In fact, they claim you can use the 18350 but the design is such that the spring pushes so hard against it that it feels like you are going to shove the electronics through the top.

Another problem I have consistently is that the P3 will go into a self-limiting mode allowing no more than 15 watts. Provape claims this is because that battery can't handle more and it's for our protection. Oddly enough though this would happen when I'm using high rated batteries, 20A or more. So I did break down and buy the battery they recommend as I wanted to alleviate this problem but to no avail. The problem still exists. It will clear up for a while if I take the battery out and immediately put it back in but I get tired of doing this a dozen or so times each day. I suspect the threading on this thing will wear out before the faulty electronics die. So much for Provape quality.

So long Provape, you've lost a customer. If I'm going to buy a unit that doesn't exactly reek of quality I just as well get it from China at a third the price.

Reactions: pho

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
This is what happens when you ask for more largely unneeded bells and whistles.

Its a proven fact that the more complicated a device is the quicker it breaks down.

Wish I could offer up a little more sympathy for you and your plight but some of us have tried to tell people this from the very start.

The Provari has been successful because its original design followed the acronym K.I.S.S or Keep It Simple Stupid.

Deviating from that to appease a loud and very vocal segment of the vaping population, one that is not the devices target demographic to start with, is a recipe for failure IMO.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Sorry to read of you disappointment with the P3. :( Have you voiced your continued issue with Provape?

I've owned and used Provari 2.5's for over 3 years myself. I've had my new P3 for about two months now, and although the battery life doesn't seem to be as good in the P3 and my 2.5's, I've not had any issues with mine. My P3 has fired a 0.6 ohm dual coil RDA at low wattage just fine (using a new AW IMR 18650), although I almost always use a 1.5 ohm Kayfun on it.

My only recommendations would be to perform more frequent routine battery contact cleansing with 99% isopropyl alcohol. This was the fix for similar issues with the 2.5 Provari.

Hey, long time no see, Zapped. :thumbs:

Last edited:
Reactions: kas122461

AstroTurf

Happy to be... Not Smoking!!!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
No, I'm not a Provari hater. I've had a 2.5 model for over 3 years now and it has only recently starting having problems. Considering how many times it's been dropped it has proven to be an excellent piece of equipment. That's the big reason I jumped on the P3 bandwagon a couple months ago. Soon after they dropped the price to 199 I ordered one. I waited with great anticipation to get my hands on a reliable and well built unit that would allow me to go to 5.5 amps and 20 watts and could do sub-ohm as well. The day arrived and like a kid on Christmas morning I opened it up. It looked nice and was well built just like my 2.5. I couldn't wait to fire it up. I put in a battery and screwed on my Kayfun and was ready to enter vaping paradise. Two months later and I'm still waiting to enter that paradise.

Within the first minute or two it started giving me an error condition indicating something was wrong with my atomizer, the same atomizer that worked perfectly on my 3 year old Provari 2.5. It would work for a while and then I'd get the error again. I took the atomizer apart and checked all the connections and everything was just fine. Put it back on and again it worked for a while and then the error again. Maybe it has something to do with the battery, I thought, so I tried a different battery. Same results. Over the next couple weeks I tried a few different atomizers and several different batteries with no improvement. It would also tell me at times that my battery was "empty" even when it hadn't been in long. I'd take it out, put it back in, and all of a sudden it shows the battery is fine. What is going on with this thing?

I called Provape and they sent me a return authorization along with a postage paid label. I sent it back under warranty for them to take a look at it. Found out along the way that Provape knew there were some problems with the unit in that it would at times show a battery "empty" when it was not and also that the bottom spring caused problems and should be replaced. They replaced some electronics in mine, put on the new spring, and updated the programming to allow 6.5 amps and down to I believe .5 ohms. I got it back about a week after sending it in and was excited to try it again.

As mentioned earlier I'm still waiting to enter that vaping paradise that I believed the P3 would provide. It is better than it was as I seldom get the atomizer error any more but I still get the "empty" battery at times, take it out, put it back in with it jumping up to as much as 70%. Also, the spring on this thing is incredibly tight. In fact, they claim you can use the 18350 but the design is such that the spring pushes so hard against it that it feels like you are going to shove the electronics through the top.

Another problem I have consistently is that the P3 will go into a self-limiting mode allowing no more than 15 watts. Provape claims this is because that battery can't handle more and it's for our protection. Oddly enough though this would happen when I'm using high rated batteries, 20A or more. So I did break down and buy the battery they recommend as I wanted to alleviate this problem but to no avail. The problem still exists. It will clear up for a while if I take the battery out and immediately put it back in but I get tired of doing this a dozen or so times each day. I suspect the threading on this thing will wear out before the faulty electronics die. So much for Provape quality.

So long Provape, you've lost a customer. If I'm going to buy a unit that doesn't exactly reek of quality I just as well get it from China at a third the price.
Quite the Sad Story...

Please keep us posted on how that 1/3 priced stuff works out for you.

Curious Jim

coldgin96

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2012
North of Detroit, way south of Heaven
Dude, that sucks but don't give up. I'm sure they will make it right. My girlfriend and I got our P3's on 16Jun and have had NO problems! We are delighted. She has 5 AW 18350's that are 2 1/2 years old and they all come up, "GOOD." The brand new AW 18350 and 18490 all read, "GREAT" and after some use, sometimes, "GOOD." I have 5 AW 18650's that are 3 years old and two of them come up, "POOR" but I don't go over 15 watts anyway. I purchased a Samsung 25R with the unit for when I leave the house and the initial reading is always, "GREAT" followed by, after some use, just barely low enough to only come up, "GOOD."

Bottom line is we don't have to fiddle with ours at all and the ones that come up POOR are 3 years old and have had heavy use. The % readings are always consistent and all have expected timely % decline.

If I was you and had your results, I would be extremely disappointed too. I'm not going to say what action I would take because it didn't happen to us. Just don't give up and give them another chance, see what happens...

Reactions: Baditude

AstroTurf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
It's funny that your blind loyalty won't even let you entertain the possibility that one of their products might be faulty. But then again, that's the mark of a true fanboy.
Wow lem you sure read alot into my post... The Dr Ruth of forums?!?

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
I expect that given the chance, Provape will continue to work to solve this for the OP. At least there is a manufacturer to work with that can fix the device and solve the problem - something one doesn't see with Chinese mods, where return, exchange or throw away are the typical options.

Trypno

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO

It really is quite disappointing...China's quality is increasing while ProVape's is decreasing.
Not to say I didn't see this coming. When ProVape manufactured the 2.5, they had a small, specialized team dedicated to checking the QA of the product at every step along the way. Every employee double and triple checked the work of the employee before them.
ProVape doubled their production staff for the P3, thus increasing the odds that an employee would get lazy about QA somewhere along the line.
I guess I better send my bronze 2.5 in to be fixed before the forget how to fix them...
Keep trying though, I'm sure they can get you taken care of.

pho

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2011
Belgium
To the OP: I have more or less the same experience as you. (See: Provari 3 battery life indicator inaccurate??? )
I hope they will resolve our issues but seeing as I've been going around in circles with customer support about mine, I've become skeptical at this point.
I have been a provari-only user for years but the P3 has really disappointed me and I really, really want it to finally be my go-to device. Especially given the price we are paying for it which is a lot of money for a lot of people, I feel we have the right to demand quality better than the Chinese knockoffs. (in build quality the P3 is next to none but on the level of electronics...)

coldgin96

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2012
North of Detroit, way south of Heaven
To the OP: I have more or less the same experience as you. (See: Provari 3 battery life indicator inaccurate??? )
I hope they will resolve our issues but seeing as I've been going around in circles with customer support about mine, I've become skeptical at this point.
I have been a provari-only user for years but the P3 has really disappointed me and I really, really want it to finally be my go-to device. Especially given the price we are paying for it which is a lot of money for a lot of people, I feel we have the right to demand quality better than the Chinese knockoffs. (in build quality the P3 is next to none but on the level of electronics...)
I read your reply and clicked on your links.
That all really sucks and I wish I knew what to tell you. Jackie and I got our P3's in June and love them. All I can do is relay my experiences with my 18650's but that's not going to help you.
I have 2 Samsung 25R's and they last at least 2 daze. The IQ always reads GREAT usually @ 83 or so. I have 4 (had 5) AW's that are 3 years old that I used with my V2. The IQ always reads POOR and they only last a day but I expect that given they are 3 years old. I threw away a AW that did read empty on the P3. The charge on that was 4.3 so I just figured it was old, bad and over charging since that's the only one that acted that way. Maybe I should have kept it around for a couple of months to lose some of it's charge and saw what happened...
I use Noalox because when ProVape told us to us it on our V2's, I bought 4 oz of the stuff.
Hey, usually I'm the guy that has the luck of buying the only 2 bad units of anything ever produced but have had nothing but positive experiences with ProVape, customer service and our ProVari's.
Something weird is going on or you really did get 2 bad units.
I can't really advise you since it hasn't happened to me and I'd hate to give you bad advice. Seems to me after all your troubles, they would have you send in your unit(s) with the batteries you are using and some vaper there would use for a day or two to see what happens...

Zen~

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2010
Spencerport, NY
The Headline: PROVAPE QUALITY GOES WAY OF CHINA

I avoided reading this one for a week or so, I didn't want to expose myself to ProVape hate... see... I'm a fan-boy and I'm unable to get past it long enough be objective about the fact that maybe... possibly... out of tens of thousands of P3's out there, ONE may have been bad. BLASPHEMY! ProVape NEVER makes a bad unit... EVER...

But we all know this isn't true, right? Occasionally, bad units happen... And even a rabid fanboy like myself realizes this. So please don't dismiss my enthusiasm for the ProVari as having blinders on.

BUT... Blinders are one thing... Full blown ignorance is quite another. Spewing Venom is uncalled for, and the OP in this thread truly needs to look at what he's saying.

I called Provape and they sent me a return authorization along with a postage paid label. I sent it back under warranty for them to take a look at it.

^^^^^ This right here.... Out of the millions of posts on ECF as we speak... this one right here says SO much... 1) The OP was able to call ProVape... When was the last time you read a post that said "So I called Innoken" or "I called Sigeli"? How many people here have been able to call CHINA when they have a problem? Do they even have phones? No clue... but I DO know, you picked up the phone and called ProVape....

2) When you CALLED ProVape they sent the OP an RMA AND PRE-PAID POSTAGE! Yeah... that happens every day when an SX-MINI fails... actually no... that never happens does it?

3) Sent it back under WARRANTY? Wait, you mean to say ProVape has a WARRANTY? And people to CALL? And they PAID FOR POSTAGE.... If ProVape had gone the way of China... Absolutely NONE of the things that happened so far in the complaint would have happened... NADA... ZILCH.

Found out along the way that Provape knew there were some problems with the unit in that it would at times show a battery "empty" when it was not and also that the bottom spring caused problems and should be replaced. They replaced some electronics in mine, put on the new spring, and updated the programming to allow 6.5 amps and down to I believe .5 ohms. I got it back about a week after sending it in and was excited to try it again.

If this was a Chinese device here's how this would have gone... The manufacturer would have found out there is an issue along the way, and started working on version two, so once you spend your hard-earned cash you can immediately start saving up to replace the faulty unit you already own. Because CHINA makes "version 2.2" instead of fixing version 1.0... once the money is in their account, they work on more ways to take your money... immediately.

So, IF ProVape went the way of China... There is no upgrade path, just saving up for the next device that was already designed when you purchased the first one... keep those US Dollars POURING in to Asia...

Also, the spring on this thing is incredibly tight. In fact, they claim you can use the 18350 but the design is such that the spring pushes so hard against it that it feels like you are going to shove the electronics through the top.

Has it PUSHED the electronics through the top yet? I use my P3 in 18350 mode EVERY DAY... the top has not blown off yet.

I am 100% certain, that if you stuck around long enough, ProVape would find a way to make you happy. But you don't actually want that, I fear... You want to believe that there is no difference between the quality of service available from ProVape and the quality you'll get from China... I hear what you're saying... I actually do... that if you're going to get poor service you may as well just pay less and buy cheap junk from China, because it IS cheaper... This actually makes sense, but there's one flaw in your thinking...

You didn't get poor service from ProVape... You became impatient and want it now, perfect... Let ProVape kow, again that you're unhappy... if you think you got a lemon, which by the way DOES happen on occasion, ask them NICELY if they will replace your unit... Who knows... maybe they will... but even if they don't... think about how that conversation would go if you had issues with a Chinese manufacturer... Right... there IS no conversation with a Chinese manufacturer.

Yeah, I'm a "Fan Boy", but a realistic one... And ProVape EARNED that...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread