Status
Not open for further replies.

Electronic_Nog

Jul 17, 2013
Saint Paul
My current setup I've had for the past year+ has been a 6.6V Bolt running a 2ohm dual coil cartomizer. I'm no longer as pleased with the flavor as I was, and I want to move into a polyfill-less system like a bottom feeding Protank. Still looking for large clouds, but not confident enough in my ability to wrap my own coils. I'm looking at purchasing a Kanger Protank 2, and am debating between a Provari or a Vamo to run it. Which would be a better choice? Are there other mods I should look at?

Please keep in mind my priorities are cloud size and flavor potency.

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
If money is not a problem, I would have a hard time recommending anything other than a ProVari, especially if you only plan to run stock coil setups. The other mod you should consider is an MVP 2. The batteries are not replaceable, so it is a disposable device, but it produces a vape very close to that of a ProVari.

If your priorities are cloud chasing and flavor, then you will have to learn to rebuild at some point. Most likely with a dripper type atomizer. On the subject of drippers, you might want to look into a Reo. Reo's are bottom feed drippers, and instead of "dripping" from the top, they "squonk," or push the liquid up into the atomizer from underneath.

Criticalmass

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
My current setup I've had for the past year+ has been a 6.6V Bolt running a 2ohm dual coil cartomizer. I'm no longer as pleased with the flavor as I was, and I want to move into a polyfill-less system like a bottom feeding Protank. Still looking for large clouds, but not confident enough in my ability to wrap my own coils. I'm looking at purchasing a Kanger Protank 2, and am debating between a Provari or a Vamo to run it. Which would be a better choice? Are there other mods I should look at?

Your mod is not as important as your topper. I think a dripper or RBA would benefit you more. However, a Provari is an extremely nice mod... Ask me what I received for my birthday? :D I still use my SVD and my MVP 2.0, but my favorite is the Provari (still getting used to only one button though).

If you just want clouds, learn about mechs and sub ohm coils. Big clouds, but at some point when the clouds become so big, you'll start losing flavor. So keep that in mind.

sent from my Limited Edition Monkey Island Talking Voodoo Doll Head named Murray

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
The Protank 2 is going to be your weakest link in your proposed setup.

I think you would be best with a Kayfun or other rebuildable (although Kayfuns are more flavor-centric, than cloud chasing.) If that is not an option then look into an Aspire Nautilus.

Once you have a good topper, now concentrate on the mod.

I agree with PlanOfMan on this one.

If you are using standard builds (not sub ohm) or standard type clearo (like Nautilus) then I suggest either the MVP2 or ProVari as well.

The best "bang for your buck" belongs to the MVP2. A long life battery, convenient charging and extremely good and consistent vape is what you will find with the MVP2. However, it is designed to be thrown away when it wears out. Now that may be in 1 to 3 years, but still when the internal battery hits the skids, you are done.

The ProVari has the best track record. It is a proven performer year in and year out. If longevity is most important to you than the ProVari is your mod.

These are my 2 favorite mods for very different reasons.

I give the nod to the MVP2 only because at it's price point I can't find a reason that anyone shouldn't have at least one.

The ProVari's price point keeps them from being number one but they are a close second because once you buy a ProVari you won't need to buy anything else for quite some time.

I have two of each so you can see that for me it's almost a dead even matchup

bsoplinger

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2010
Capitol District New York
Second the suggestion of a MVP V2.0 for your first vv/vw device although the rather (to me) gaudy wrapper and limited range of adjustment may be strikes against it. I also own the SID which is nice and light and comes in purdy colors if that's a consideration and a Vamo V5 in stainless steel which has a 3 button design which I much prefer over the others. These adjust 3W to 15W, 3.0V to 6.0V vs the more limited range of 6W to 11W, 3.3V to 5.0V with the MVP V2.0. Really any of these $40 ish priced vv/vw devices are about the same with the MVP being the only really different one. And all are much less than the Provari which you can always get in the future and keep whatever you bought now as a backup. With the DNA20 and DNA30 mods along with Chinese clones (Sigelei already has a DNA20 clone out for about half the price of the Provari) about to be released it makes no sense to me to spend a lot on a high end vv/vw device.

Second also on a better topper. Aerotank or Nautilus if you want to stay with clearomizers.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

loganfl22

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2014
Lakeland, FL, USA
As far as vv/vw devices go my top 3 are: in order of my favorite.
1. Innokin SVD for its sturdiness, telescopes, bright display, great vape.
2.MVP2, compact, as well as fairly sturdy, great battery life and features, very accurate performance.
3, Vamo v5, not as sturdy as svd, doesnt telescope, good performing, looks cool, performs well, easy on the pocket, fairly sturdy, very simple to use

Funk Dracula

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2013
Earth

I would recommend an IBTanked carto tank and ProVari.

:facepalm:

For the price, the Provari is looking awfully long in the tooth today. With the DNA30 chip, OKR chip, and SX chip now available, the Provari is clearly being out-spec'd and out-performed by a large margin.

I would throw one other suggestion into the fray: A Nemesis clone and a Kick 2.

This combination would be much more versatile. It would offer 5-15 Watts of regulated power, operate in 18350, 18490, or 18650 modes, and should he get into rebuilding, operate as one of the highest quality mechanicals available today.

ElectronicStix.Com · Nemesis by Hcigar

ElectronicStix.Com · The Kick 2 By Evolv

It's modular, versatile, sleek looking, the most compact, durable, and future compatible with his needs. Very affordable as well.

:2c:

gotch23

ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2011
Fukuoka, Japan
You are used to a really powerful vape experience.

According to ohms law your current vape has a power output of about 22 watts.

So the provari and vamo, which max out at about 15 watts probably won't cut it
for you. Even worse with the mvp, which maxes out at 11 watts.
Don't get me wrong, i think these are great devices... I have a provari and a mvp myself.

So... if you want a regulated vape, the DNA 30 is your best bet. But these are really pricey.

However if you don't mind the voltage drop-off over battery life, a mech mod would be a good way
to go.

As for toppers: Again... i like the protank... however, it's not suitable for high-powered vapes.
At least with stock-coils... Even 11 watts (the max setting of my mvp) fried the heads within
days... at best. Rebuilt protank heads... no problem, but that's what you wanted to avoid.

However i don't really see any alternative other than RBAs, that can match your current
carto-tank performance.

So... i'd still suggest a kayfun (or a good clone). The rebuilding-thing can be intimidating.
But it's really not all that hard once you get started. I really suck at DIY... If i can do it
it, so can you.

Or stick with your current set-up... what do you not like about it? Do you taste the poly-fill?

leong jenny

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2014
USA
Since you care the cloud size and flavor potency most, I suggest you to get a rebuildable topper, such as Kayfuns, aqua an so forth. You can rebuild the coil, especially the Kayfuns could produce great flavor. And as for the mod, I will strongly recommend Nemesis, caravela mod . Magnificent engraving, stainless steel material, touches smooth and make you feel comfortable. Hope could help you.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
I'd look into the new sigelei 20w. More powerful than provar or vamo.Fasttk has em for I think $87.Half the price of Prov. but more than a vamo.

That sounds perfect to run the Protank 2 he's looking to buy...

bangheadwall.gif

Funk Dracula

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2013
Earth
That sounds perfect to run the Protank 2 he's looking to buy...

bangheadwall.gif

It kind of does actually.

- from fasttech listing:

Variable wattage - adjustable from 7.0W to 20.0W (in 0.1 watt increment)
Variable voltage - adjustable from 3.0V to 8.8V (in 0.1 volt increment)
Supports 0.5-3.0ohm Atomizer
Battery voltage range: 3.2-4.2V
Features a 5 click On/Off switch
0.66" OLED display: resistance, voltage/wattage, settled vaping time, battery level and puffs
Accelerometer
5-20 seconds cutoff
Short circuit protection
Low voltage warning
Reverse polarity protection
Removable top cap
Floating 510 center pin
510 and eGo threading
Compatible with Single 18650 Battery
3 battery vent holes on the bottom
Brass contact

You don't need to go to 20W, but hey it's there if you need it someday. Smooth switch mode DC to DC power regulation. $83 bucks.

And hey, he could even throw an eGo threaded EVOD on it!

:vapor:

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio

Have you tried a single coil cartomizer? Have you tried any other brand other than Smoktech? In my experience single coil cartomizers offer better flavor. My prefered cartos are Ikenvape with better flavor production.

IMHO you'll get less flavor with most of the clearomizers, exception possibly being an Aspire Nautilis.

Provari, Vamo, MVP, or DNA mod? :confused:

Why Provari?

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/variable-voltage-apv-discussion/488840-rattlesnake-effect-why-cheapo-vv-exception-itaste-mvp-dont-vape-same-provari-dna20d.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/provari/381232-provari-oscope-vs-vamo.html

I personally don't believe anything can beat a Provari. They are worth the extra money in the long run. I've been a die-hard cartotank with Ikenvape cartomizers user for over a year. I just received my first Kayfun Lite + RTA last week, running a 1.8 ohm coil and cotton wick, and this is the best tank setup I've had thus far. Excellent flavor and very nice clouds.

Last edited:

Nu2Dis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Jersey Shore, NJ, USA
Have you tried a single coil cartomizer? Have you tried any other brand other than Smoktech? In my experience single coil cartomizers offer better flavor. My prefered cartos are Ikenvape with better flavor production.

IMHO you'll get less flavor with most of the clearomizers, exception possibly being an Aspire Nautilis.

Provari, Vamo, MVP, or DNA mod? :confused:

Why Provari?

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/variable-voltage-apv-discussion/488840-rattlesnake-effect-why-cheapo-vv-exception-itaste-mvp-dont-vape-same-provari-dna20d.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/provari/381232-provari-oscope-vs-vamo.html

I personally don't believe anything can beat a Provari. They are worth the extra money in the long run. I've been a die-hard cartotank with Ikenvape cartomizers user for over a year. I just received my first Kayfun Lite + RTA last week, running a 1.8 ohm coil and cotton wick, and this is the best tank setup I've had thus far. Excellent flavor and very nice clouds.

Oh No!!!! you woke the sleeping GIANTS!

Thunderball

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2013
Grayson, Georgia

Bad..... My man.... Not you !! You have moved to the dark side with the Kayfun..:toast: (give a 1.1 ohm coil a try and get ready for a ride)

Also agree with all of the above. Single coil carto is best. Used them a long time....a 2.5 to 3.2 coil carto...I cant vape it over 4.0 volts. Why do you need 30 watts ? A Kayfun or Taifun....I cant vape over 4.0 Volts, Why do you need 30 watts ? ( I run 1.0 to 1.3 coils and vape fruits mostly)

I owned a 30 watt ZNA for about three weeks. Sold it. Its cool looking, goes really high (not needed) did go to .5 ohms ( I really dont sub ohm...only for show for me)... Chip is not as good as the Provari chip as far as durability (Provari chipset is military grade..mine has been under water twice, dried and still vaping).

Semovar....great Mod...(better than the DNA 20 and 30 IMHO as far as reliability, but still has little funny glitches as far as error codes for no reason but keeps working like there are no error codes)

These are just a couple examples, all my opinion from my own experiences. I am a user of a few of the latest and greatest Mods, unless your going sub ohm, the Provari is very hard be beat. It just works the very well while others have little glitches and funny wonky things that make you say "well, even though it shouldnt do that, its still ok". The Provari is just consistant. (and built well)

Will I keep buying new Mods ? Sure, but thats just me. I like tying new things. Can you buy my Provari,s from me? Well, no. Get your own.

Last edited:

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
It kind of does actually.

- from fasttech listing:

Variable wattage - adjustable from 7.0W to 20.0W (in 0.1 watt increment)
Variable voltage - adjustable from 3.0V to 8.8V (in 0.1 volt increment)
Supports 0.5-3.0ohm Atomizer
Battery voltage range: 3.2-4.2V
Features a 5 click On/Off switch
0.66" OLED display: resistance, voltage/wattage, settled vaping time, battery level and puffs
Accelerometer
5-20 seconds cutoff
Short circuit protection
Low voltage warning
Reverse polarity protection
Removable top cap
Floating 510 center pin
510 and eGo threading
Compatible with Single 18650 Battery
3 battery vent holes on the bottom
Brass contact

You don't need to go to 20W, but hey it's there if you need it someday. Smooth switch mode DC to DC power regulation. $83 bucks.

And hey, he could even throw an eGo threaded EVOD on it!

:vapor:
If it really can go down to 3 volts, then it's a step up on both the DNA 20/30 as they don't have a reducer. Methinks the Chinese are fudging the numbers somewhat. I wonder how many amps it can push?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread