Quality of vape difference? Provari, Evic, Zmax, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rallykid

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 13, 2014
Michigan
A question has been rattling around in my head so i figured this is the crew to ask. Is there a quality of vape difference between most mods? Let me clarify that a bit. I know my sigelei Zmax v5 is a cheap mod with a cheap chipset and you can definitely tell it rattlesnakes. I have used a provari 2.5 and the vape was smooth just as it should be on a high end device with a flat signal.

The question is at what point do you not notice the difference between the Provari and a cheaper model like the Evic Supreme? Obviously build quality, warranty, etc is different but what about the actual vape quality on some of the lower priced devices like the 134, dna20 devices, etc. Can they compete solely on quality and smoothness of vape?

MrPlink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2014
Portland, OR / San Francisco CA
I could go on and on about this, but generally speaking there are a few ways to get rid of a rattle snake effect, after that all things being equal there is no difference.

If you think 4v from a provari is going to somehow taste better than 4v from a DNA board you are NUTS. And let me tell you, there are more than a few very ignorant people out there that believe stuff like that because they haven't the slightest clue as to how electronics work.

If this logic holds any water then mechs should have the highest cape quality because you are getting pure DC power without any BS in the way, right? (This isn't true either)

You have to keep in mind, even what we consider the most advanced of devices is actually relatively speaking a VERY simple piece of electronics, even the provari or DNA. The innovation in our market comes from the application of technology, not its development per se. So there is no secret sauce once you get past the nasty mods that use unfiltered PWM or similar.

brickfollett

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2013
Washington
Ohhhhhh man, this ones gonna get crazy! I'll advocate that the higher end devices will deliver a more pleasurable vape. The rattlesnake effect is a factor. For example, I own an E-LVT, which is essentially an SVD board if I'm not mistaken, and set to my preferences, my P3 is certainly better than the E-LVT.

Each has their own place, regulated mods and mechanicals. Really what it should come down to is something that's going to hold up a long time for you. The honest truth is that I've owned my E-LVT for months and it's still doing great. I've owned my P3 for a few days and it's doing great.

I don't know much about the rattlesnake effect regarding authentic DNA chips, Pbusardo's videos may provide insight into that. I can certainly tell you that a Provari will blow an Evic out of the water all day long, simply based on feedback on either device. Yeah there might be a few Evics that have lasted people a year or so, but it's not common. Truth is, most of the Provari's that were initially released (eg: V1) are still working. I've spent a heck of a lot of time on this forum, lots of it spent researching the Provari v2.5 early on, and I've probably read a total of two reports where a Provari died on someone for no reason. Backed by the 1 year warranty and relatively inexpensive potential repairs down the road, the smoothness of the vape, build quality and design speak for themselves.

I might get flamed for being a fanboy, but I do my research on everything before I buy it, and I've done a lot. I sold my Provari v2.5 for a Reo, and don't regret it. The new P3 has been a planned expense for a while now and I don't regret it

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
A question has been rattling around in my head so i figured this is the crew to ask. Is there a quality of vape difference between most mods? Let me clarify that a bit. I know my Sigelei Zmax v5 is a cheap mod with a cheap chipset and you can definitely tell it rattlesnakes. I have used a provari 2.5 and the vape was smooth just as it should be on a high end device with a flat signal.

The question is at what point do you not notice the difference between the Provari and a cheaper model like the Evic Supreme? Obviously build quality, warranty, etc is different but what about the actual vape quality on some of the lower priced devices like the 134, dna20 devices, etc. Can they compete solely on quality and smoothness of vape?

When it comes to being able to tell the difference between the likes of an eVic (even an original) and a Provari... The eVic is a high frequency device, not sure if anyone has actually put one on a 'scope though. I don't think it's up there as high as a Provari, but it isn't hanging around in the dregs of a 33 Hz cheap PWM device either. I have both a Provari 2.5 and an eVic and putting the same tank on them - if I did a blind comparison I don't think I couldn't tell the difference. (That is not to say there aren't performance differences. But if it comes down to being able to tell them apart just on the "feel" of the vape being a crude PWM or not - no, on that point I can't tell them apart.)
:2c:

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
Well i know the most knowledgeable and experienced people on this site have said repeatedly that there is indeed a difference in vape quality and in all the in depth posts that i have read about this topic they say the benchmarks for quality of vape are the MVP and Provari which have a very very similar signal .

These people are very far from ignorant but if someone is an engineering prodigy and can really get into the hows and whys i'm sure people will be all ears .

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
For those that may take my post as being arrogant it's not meant to be at all, just relaying the information directly from much more knowledgeable members on this very site is all .

I don't exactly understand it myself and i am not saying anybody is wrong here , for all i know many of you could be correct but it would be worthwhile to look into it further with the info provided already on this site by people a hell of a lot more knowledgeable than myself before making claims that sound 100% definitive .

OthatGuy

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 15, 2014
Westcoast
Don't worry about it this is one of those topics. Honestly fir the same money, a reo, even tho I'm not a reo fanboy, will give you a new vaping experience in bottom feeding, and imo that can't be beat. As far as quality of vape goes you can't beat a dripper, and you absolutely can't bet a bottom fed dripper. If you can experience that fir the same amount of money, it's my opinion that is a good move.

MrPlink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2014
This thread is proving my point already. . .

Let's also consider a fundamental problem with this scenario.

There is an objective standard that can be measured, frequency dynamics. There is a subjective standard that cannot be measured, vape quality.

Anybody see a problem here?

Furthermore, purely an educated guess on my end, but I would be willing to bet that even among experienced vapers, in a blind test where the only variable is frequency dynamics the rate of failure to consistently be able to decipher differences would be very high.

OthatGuy

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 15, 2014
Westcoast
Your referring to the way the voltage goes from chip to atty as frequency dynamics, correct?
The easiest way I've been able to show the difference is to use a in line vmeter on a provari set to say 8v it will read a constant 8v. It won't read anything on a vamo, I'm assuming bc it's not a consistent current, that's where the rattlesnake comes from, are we on the same page. ?

irwink

CASAA Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2010
Norfolk, Virginia, USA
IMO the user experience on a high end regulated device is overrated. I have an evic, evic s, 2 provari 2.5's, 2 Svoemesto Semovars, 2 Zmax's, a Vamo, numerous eGo twists and a few others. Paired with the right topper the twists perform just as well as the Provari's or Semovars. Ditto the eVics. The eVic S is also capable of firing at 30W unlike the rest of my current collection.

Now if you want to compare durability, form factor, warranty or any other factors that's another matter.

I'm currently really enjoying 2 ~ $30 Eleaf iSticks primarily for form factor and battery capacity. I consider them both throw aways based on cost.

There are many considerations to be made.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Your referring to the way the voltage goes from chip to atty as frequency dynamics, correct?
The easiest way I've been able to show the difference is to use a in line vmeter on a provari set to say 8v it will read a constant 8v. It won't read anything on a vamo, I'm assuming bc it's not a consistent current, that's where the rattlesnake comes from, are we on the same page. ?

That won't work - you need to use an oscilloscope because almost all DVM's don't sample appropriately for this purpose. Or in the case of most in-line 510 meters - not at all when connected to PWM output devices.

MrPlink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2014
I own both an eVic and a Provari ... and there is a difference.

Don't know for sure why ... however, there is.

If they vaped the same?

I would own 5 eVics for cheaper than 5 Provaris.

Sent via iPhone

Well who can argue with that?
Well there clearly is no other reason.
Case closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread