Question Re: TrustFire IMR18350 Li-ion Unprotected Rechargeable Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

nettles4349

Aug 11, 2013
New Jersey
Allow me to preface this question by saying that I am not an expert when it comes to electrical wiring and batteries. I found a good price on TrustFire IMR 18350 Li-ion 3.7V 800mAh unprotected rechargeable batteries. So far I've only used the Efest IMR 18350 LiMn 3.7V 800mAh rechargeable batteries and the Efest IMR 18650 LiMn 3.7V 2250mAh rechargeable batteries too. I use them in my VAMO V3. Will these TrustFire IMR Li-ion batteries be safe to use in my VAMO? Would they be safe to use in a mechanical mod (I'm considering getting one)? Also would I be able to safely charge them in my TrustFire TR-001 battery charger? Any knowledgeable input would be hugely appreciated. Thank you.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I wouldn't use unprotected batteries in any PVD and most certainly a mechanical mod. You got an unprotected device with a unprotected battery you are just waiting on something to light the fuse.
Untrue. One must stay current with modern battery technology before making such statements.

IMR (Li-Mn) batteries are safe chemistry batteries which are "un-protected" because they are inherently safer than ICR batteries, which are made from a volatile (flamable) chemistry requiring IC protection in order to be sold and used in products. At one time, protected ICR batteries were the recommended batteries for our mods. This is no longer true.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ecf-library/129569-rechargeable-batteries.html

Battery Basics for Mods: IMR or Protected ICR?

Deeper Understanding of Mod Batteries

Mechanical Mod Proper Usage Guide

Presently, "safe chemistry" batteries such as IMR (Li-Mn) and the newer "hybrid" batteries are recommended for APV's, both regulated and mechanical. These happen to be high-drain batteries, too. ICR batteries are low-drain and best used for flashlights and other applications. A list of name-brand safe-chemistry IMR/hybrid batteries are in the second link above.

The potential danger of any battery is if it goes into thermal runaway (battery meltdown). Any battery of any chemistry can do this, some chemistries are more likely to do this than others, and some do it more violently than others. ICR batteries can vent with high pressure hot gas and flames. Safe chemistry batteries may vent with gas, but not with flames nor as violently as an ICR battery will.
______

Trustfire2.jpg

• You can do far better in the quality of battery than one with "fire" in its name. Trustfire, Ultrafire, and Surefire are a second tier of batteries. In the vaping community, these batteries are generally shunned and never recommended for use in APV's. There is a HUGE difference in the quality of batteries, use the best that you can find for the benefit of yours and others safety.

• I personally had a protected Trustfire ICR battery explode in one of my mechanical mods. This prompted me to learn about batteries and is the primary reason that I promote battery safety on ECF. I no longer use any type of ICR batteries in my mods, and use only safe chemistry IMR batteries in my mechanical and regulated mods.

• Please use one of the better name-brand batteries recognized for their consistant quality as listed in the second link above. Use the best battery you can afford for your APV's. This is not the time or place to skimp money for lesser quality. Your APV is being used next to your face and hands...these are things that are too valuable to lose due to a battery catastrophy.

• * Disclaimer: There are un-protected Li-ion ICR batteries available which are NOT safe chemistry. Please identify whether the unprotected battery being sold is Li-on (ICR, not safe chemistry) or either an IMR (Li-Mn) or hybrid battery. If you are not able to determinine which chemistry it is, don't buy it. Un-protected ICR batteries should NEVER be used in a mod...whether mechanical or regulated.

Last edited:

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
All my "fire" products were/are good. Both TR-001 chargers still working good. "Fire" batt cases work good. "Fire" Cree flashlight works good. My "fire" batts worked good for a year or two; tossed when didn't hold long charge and insulation was quite worn.

I suppose it is like choosing a laptop; find out what company has the best QC and less failures per 1000 if you can.

18350 has less potential for big bang than 18560 due to less stored energy.

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
i'm no expert but
:lol: don't trust fire....fire bad!!! :lol:

one advice that was given to me by many of my peers is don't buy any batteries or chargers that have the word fire in it
trustfire, ultrafire, ect.... they are typically a lower quality and for the same price can get a better quality

not sure if this really is a good deal but I got this in my email today from gotsmok
Efest 35A IMR Battery PLUS Free Juice $10.79 | gotsmok.com
Look who just re-stocked on the purple Efest 35A IMR 2500mAh battery. Seriously, these batteries are in demand. So, if you wanna pick up one (or a few)… get your orders in ASAP. Be sure to use the coupon code “DNA10″ to get the $10.79 price. Also, check out the main page for details on how how to get your FREE bottle of MP e-liquid. Plus… any order over $49 gets FREE SHIPPING as well. Hey, just having the Efest 35A IMR 2500mAh battery in stock is a deal in itself. FREE juice and shipping are just icing on the cake at this point. =)
Use Coupon Code: DNA10

if you are willing to shop from china and wait a long long time (batteries take forever) shop fasttech
I currently have this battery on order awaiting arrival
Authentic Samsung ICR18650-26F 18650 3.7V 2600mAh Rechargeable Lithium Batteries (2-Pack) with carrying case

this is the battery that I currently use and try to find batteries with the same properties
Samsung 2600mAh ICR18650-26F

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
Off topic, lmao, my Sony Vaio has been going strong for 3.5 years now, tho it's been on the backburner since I got my Eon17.

On topic, I agree with the "Fire" battery sentiments. I used to have 2 trustfire batteries and they both gave out within a two weeks of sub-ohm vaping.

Maybe those fire batts were not designed for high drain. All my fire batts lasted over a year pushing supra-ohm coils back in the day. The shrink wrap was well worn when I finally tossed them. I don't know failure rate of fire products. I know I bought about a dozen fire products and all were good. There are counterfeit fire, AW, etc batts so buyer be aware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread