Rda blew fire in my mouth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nacholad

Mar 25, 2015
So I've been vaping for about two months now and have learned a bit but never have I experienced something this frightening. I have a lt infinite with 6 wrap .22 gauge dual coil kanthal. I'm getting a .2 ohm resistance. I've been using this same setup for a month now and it's never caught Fire even with the cap off. The wicks were thuroughly soaked in max vg liquid (Id say 80% at least). I'm only hitting it on 75 watts. Took one hit and all of a sudden it made a boom sound and burned the hell out of my mouth. What caused this? How can I prevent it? Any help would be appreciated because I enjoy vaping but I don't want to inhale fire. I got lucky and somehow didn't burn my throat or inhale the fire.

Semiretired

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Georgia
lucky, actually, that the whole thing doesn't go off in your hand...

I will second that. Tone it down a bit... This is not a contest for who can push the limits the most - it is a method to stop smoking and maybe enjoy life a little more and maybe a little longer.

RandyF

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Arizona
At 0.2 Ω and 75 watts, you pushing 375 amps.... lucky, actually, that the whole thing doesn't go off in your hand...

It's just under 18 amps, well within reason.

To the OP: Not sure why it did what it did, you are not really pushing too hard, but do you best to make sure everything is what it is suppose to be when you are sub-ohming.

RuDawg7890

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
Sinking Spring, PA, USA
First off, glad to hear that you were ok!
It does concern me that you say "only 75 watts"! 75 watts is a good amount of power. To be putting up to your mouth for sure! Not that it can't be safely done, but one should be aware that it is more than "only".
My math comes to 19.36 amps. You're pushing close to the limits of most batteries, but if you have the right one, you'll be ok there.

Was your coil still in tact after the pop? Sounds like the conditions were just right in there to spark the coil and ignite some joose or the wick!!

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
It's just under 18 amps, well within reason.

To the OP: Not sure why it did what it did, you are not really pushing too hard, but do you best to make sure everything is what it is suppose to be when you are sub-ohming.

Thanks for that! Yeah, closer to 19. Seems my software calculator forgot to take the square root of the quantity. Short note to it's program:grr:mer is in the cards!

Nacholad

Mar 25, 2015
Definately wasn't juice that got me. I've had juice spit at me before. This burned my lips tounge and the roof of my mouth and made a large noise. My problem is if I'm under 70w the ramp up time is ridicilously slow. I just tried to make it catch on fire and after firing it at 120w continually for 10 seconds it still didn't do it. Was this a freak accident or just the exact right conditions for something like that to happen?

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
It's a regulated Segeli 150.

The beauty of a high vv/vw mod is that you don't have to build low sub-ohm coils to get a great vape. In fact, building low sub-ohm works against you. Higher ohm coils use more wire which means more surface area to vaporize juice. This increases both heat and vapor production.

With a mechanical mod you increase the warmth of your coil by building lower ohm coils. However, the electronics in a regulated mod boosts the power coming from the battery so the ohms of the coil no longer control the warmth.

Here's a good thread on the subject: My thoughts about sub-ohm and latest VV/VW devices...

Also check out @State O' Flux 's blog on the "Steam Engine": Steam Engine: From Basic Use to Advanced Features

IWobbleWobble

Jan 19, 2015
The beauty of a high vv/vw mod is that you don't have to build low sub-ohm coils to get a great vape. In fact, building low sub-ohm works against you. Higher ohm coils use more wire which means more surface area to vaporize juice. This increases both heat and vapor production.

With a mechanical mod you increase the warmth of your coil by building lower ohm coils. However, the electronics in a regulated mod boosts the power coming from the battery so the ohms of the coil no longer control the warmth.

Here's a good thread on the subject: My thoughts about sub-ohm and latest VV/VW devices...

Also check out @State O' Flux 's blog on the "Steam Engine": Steam Engine: From Basic Use to Advanced Features

This was the greatest "aha!" moment I've had in vaping. Changed the game for me.

Reactions: Susan~S

The_Nom

Apr 28, 2015
This was the greatest "aha!" moment I've had in vaping. Changed the game for me.
I agree completely. You'll find each one has its sweet spot. My IPV3 I run consistantly at .25ohm just because that's what it really likes for high wattage. Don't want to push the chip too hard by going super low and such.
Steam engine even has a page dedicated to finding the sweet spot for your regulated mods with presets to them :)

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
First off, glad to hear that you were ok!
It does concern me that you say "only 75 watts"! 75 watts is a good amount of power. To be putting up to your mouth for sure! Not that it can't be safely done, but one should be aware that it is more than "only".

On a mech mod with a full battery he would be at 88 watts and 21A.

My math comes to 19.36 amps. You're pushing close to the limits of most batteries, but if you have the right one, you'll be ok there.

If it's a regulated mod then he really doesn't have to worry about amps. The mod should boost that above what the battery by itself can provide. If they didn't then you wouldn't have 150W+ mods, since a .1ohm coil at 150W is a 38amp draw which is well above what any 18650 battery can handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread