Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I've been dicking around with my first RDA and mech mod for about 3 weeks now, and have built all all manner of coils for the thing in my quest for the perfect vape.

Currently stuck with 32g kanthal, I have had issues making coils with low enough resistance for my tastes- until I discovered twisted coils. I have now made a couple micro and nano coil builds, all using cotton, including a 1.4 ohm nano coil dragon build that seemed to work pretty well, but I was having wicking issues because of the small mini-rda platform I have been building on.

I built this baby last night, a twisted 32g kanthal 1.5mm diameter 6/5 wrap microcoil coming out at 1.0 ohms, and it has been my best build so far for clouds and flavor. However, in this build (and in every build I have done), flavor has been unsatisfying muted with all juices I have tried.

Every flavor is very clean, almost too clean- It's like I am vaping nothing with a dash of the original flavor. In fact, flavor is at an estimated 40% of the same juices in a cotton-rewicked protank on a MVP 2.

I just cannot figure out what the problem is.
The coils burn perfectly from the center out. I have tried all manner of sizes and thickness for my cotton wicks and their tails.
I built this coil precisely to up the wattage compared to my previous coils in the hope that it just needed more heat, but that has not made the difference I'm looking for.
I drilled out the air-hole on my cap accidentally to 2.4mm, but changing the size of the hole has made little difference in the flavor. I I have messed with the coil positioning, vertically and horizontally (though not as much as I probably should)
What could I be missing? I know it is not just me not being used to the "pureness" of RDA's as I have tried a multitude of others and none have muted my juices so severely. I have tried to include as much info as I can in hopes that it will provide you guys with the best possible analysis of my build.

Please help me ECF, your my only hope :p

*included are some pics of my build. Sorry about the pictures being turned horizontally, I have no idea how to change that (tips anyone?)

Attachments

• photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 1,286
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 2,305
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 1,526
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 1,332
Last edited:

savagemann

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2013
California East Bay
That hole is pretty big.
A smaller hole will increase your chances of getting better flavor.
Also, a little less wick will help a lot.
You don't want the wick sticking up, you want it flat on the deck.
Cut some of that excess wick off, and cover that hole with an oring to reduce it's size a bit, then report back.
Also, make sure the airhole in the top cap is dead center on the coil.

scrappy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Seattle
Your coil is too far from the air hole. Push it out to the edge of the deck. You've also got too much cotton. Scale it back a bit. Put the wick so it goes down to the deck but make sure the bottom of the coil is completely clear of the wick. Lastly, after you put the top cap on shine a light down the top and look in the air hole. You'll be able to see if your coil is centered on the air hole. Be gentle if you have to raise it up because the end loops on the coils like to suck in and choke the wick.

Hope this helps.

Definitely. With the cotton, I have tried to shape my wicks so that the ends through the coil are small and barely tight in in the coil with the bottem end on the floor, but with a large tail raised so as to provide better wicking action and more juice retention so I don't have to drip it as much. Are you saying that because of the small capspace in a mini-rda that it will be better to have less wick? I have lowered the coil moving it closer to the airhole, and covered the airhole with a piece of tape with a 5/64" hole through i.t, it does seem to hit better

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Those guys telling you about too much wick are spot on.

There's a trade off between great flavor / vapor vs having to drip more often. All long tails do is allow juice to cook before you vape it. With the wick pointing up like that your just sucking air and vapor right past that "flag of wick" and cooling the vape while increasing TH.

Here's a segment I've done detailing cotton wicking. Short tails are where it's at for maximum flavor :)
http://youtu.be/BP_iwf_gTew

Last edited:
Thanks guys, i tweaked my build along your guidelines, pics included. Much better flavor, there is alot more TH which im assuming is because of a hotter vape/ less airflow? if I wanted to lessen the TH and make it more smooth should I consider just opening up my air hole more?

Attachments

• photo 1 (1).jpg
    photo 1 (1).jpg
    21 KB · Views: 1,762
  • photo 2 (1).jpg
    photo 2 (1).jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 886
  • photo 3 (1).jpg
    photo 3 (1).jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 1,223
Last edited:
Status