Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
The smaller the diameter wire, the higher the resistance (Ω), but keep in mind that 32 is smaller diameter than 28.

If using kanthal, use kanthal A1. There are other "formulations" of resistance wire that aren't as well suited to vaping.
Coil design/geometry (twisted, etc) may produce more vapor since there is more heating area, but it isn't necessary to go crazy there. Single strand coils are all many of us use.

Wicking... and what to do with the ends? Depends on the topper, so can't be specific on that without knowing what topper you're interested in. Some are easy, some a bit tricky. Kayfun types are probably the easiest and most forgiving.

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
1) Will put it into an analogy of roadways that everyone can envision and grasp when talking wire gauge. 32AWG wire can be considered a local residential back alley street, narrow road, lots of obstacles, road not maintained very well, you have to drive slowly to get through, so traffic tends to not like to use them, very high resistance. 22AWG can be considered a 12 lane highway (6 west bound, 6 east bound), well maintained road mostly smooth, not many obstacles, wide thoroughfare large volume of traffic can move fast, very low resistance. 32AWG will take less wraps to reach a certain resistance where the 22AWG will take 3,4, even maybe 8 times more wraps to reach desired resistance.

Pros and cons, thinner wire (higher AWG number), higher resistance, heats up quicker, can make smaller coils to fit into a very tight space, very weak physically, it can break easier. Thicker wire (lower AWG number), lower resistance, heats up slower, can make larger coils to give more surface to wick and liquid contact which equates to more vapor and liquid consumed, more sturdy and resilient physically, harder to manipulate and work with, sometimes when to thick have to modify RDA posts to accommodate the wire.

2) Twisted wire, and specialty wires like Clapton, Zipper Coils etc, give more potential surface contact area than normal single strand wires, each strand and crevice in these specialty wires is more space liquid can flow into to be vaporized, they also have lower resistance due to being each wire in them adds another parallel circuit, ie, twisted 28AWG single coil 6/5 wrap should have the same surface area as a dual coil 28AWG 6/5 each coil, as well as resistance in Ohms, even dual twisted 28AWG 6/5 wrap should have 4x the the surface area and 1/4 the resistance of the single coil. You can see this relationship as well as work with virtual coils using such calculators as:
Steam Engine | free vaping calculators
Coil Toy - Online calculator for e-cigarette resistance coil building

3) Wicking, is to preference, I like elevated, center post setups which gives longer wick tails which I tuck down to the deck between the posts, using the wick to A) hold a lot of liquid, B) allows me to drip down the drip tip or drip tip hole to saturate my wick, and C) allows me to direct and channel my airflow as most times the bottom of my coil sits above the top of my airflow inlets, making the air come in, hit the center post and wrap around the coil from the bottom up, this is my cloud configuration. Another configuration, lower to the deck, longer wick, pulled through, short end fluffed and tucked under the coil, then the longer tail fluffed and tucked under as well where the coil is resting 1/3 down into the wick cloud. Again this A) holds a lot of juice and B) allows me to drip down the drip tip or drip tip hole to saturate my wick without removing my top cap and have to re-align my air holes with my coils, C) here the coils sit level with the airflow or slightly below where the upper half or upper third of the coil is getting air on them, this is my flavor configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread