Status
Not open for further replies.

WelshVapour

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 17, 2013
wales, UK
Hi Guys.

Not sure if this is the right place for this thread, if not, apologies.

So, i've wanted to rebuild heads (T3 at the moment) for a little while now and today finally bought some 3mm silica wick and kanthal wire, I hear 34 Gauge a lot but the packet i bought makes no sense to me, it says kanthal d=0, 16mm and 74 what i believe to be ohms? (could be wrong)

pictured below..

20131028_140624[1].jpg

anyway, I watched a video tutorial on how to rebuild.. after putting it all together, what i've found is my MVP is reading 2.8ohms which is too high right? and also it tastes terrible lol.

So, what did i do wrong? what should i try next?

Thanks in advance, you lovely kind people who won't kill me for being either a) plain stupid or b) inexperienced.

EDIT - after a more thorough search i found similar threads with things to try so my apologies for a duplicate thread.

Last edited:

Dusty_D

Original Guru
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
Toronto, Canada
dustysfoodieadventures.blogspot.ca
You have Kanthal D wire.. 16mm = AWG 34. How many wraps of the wire did you do? I would expect for 2.8ohm, you're probably in the 6 - 8 wrap range.

I'm also guessing that you are choking the wick by wrapping too tight, and therefore ending up with burnt flavour.

What I would suggest you do is get a paperclip, hold it against the wire, wrap 4 times.. Keep the clip against the wire and insert in the slots where the T3 head goes. Do the whole rubber grommet thing etc at the bottom before sliding out the paperclip. That way your wire does not get pinched against the wick, and you don't end up with burnt flavour.

This is the Coles notes version, but do let me know if you need any further instructions.

WelshVapour

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 17, 2013
wales, UK
You have Kanthal D wire.. 16mm = AWG 34. How many wraps of the wire did you do? I would expect for 2.8ohm, you're probably in the 6 - 8 wrap range.

I'm also guessing that you are choking the wick by wrapping too tight, and therefore ending up with burnt flavour.

What I would suggest you do is get a paperclip, hold it against the wire, wrap 4 times.. Keep the clip against the wire and insert in the slots where the T3 head goes. Do the whole rubber grommet thing etc at the bottom before sliding out the paperclip. That way your wire does not get pinched against the wick, and you don't end up with burnt flavour.

This is the Coles notes version, but do let me know if you need any further instructions.

I did 5 wraps, I'm certain the first rebuild I did too tight, the second I think is too loose, when I try again I'll try for the happy medium.

Thanks for clarifying the wire I have and the advice.

Did you anneal the wire before creating your coil?

First time, no
Second time, yes lol

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread