Regulateds are better than mechs

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeXtDimensionVaping

ECF Veteran
May 19, 2015
I do not see the point to mechanical mods from a practical point of view. From a hobbyist/enthusiast pov I understand that mechs are aesthetically pleasing and fun to build/modify.

But overall, regulateds in the last couple years have really stepped there game up and some of the new 100w and 150w dual battery regs can blow a mech out of the water.

Regs are computer controlled, have temp/wattage control and give a consistent vape without sacrificing battery life. They are also exponentially more safe.

I love vaping and the culture, but practically I don't ever see myself getting a mech and I think that in the future mechs will be left in the dust.

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
They are both safe as long as you know what you are doing. What I am afraid of happening with regulateds is people will start getting lazy and relying totally on the chip. They need to have some knowledge of the basics and advanced functions.

Even smoking isn't idiot proof.

I vape at 8.5 watts... not sure how a 150 watt device will help me.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
What goes around keeps coming back around.... Better than, even better will always be the goal for whatever we do in life....

A couple years ago when Provari was "king of regulateds" People got into mechs and there again, started the whole "better" thing again.... This is still a fairly new "thing" and innovations will continue to evolve.

I remember seeing posts all over the forum regarding the mech craze.... That it was like going backwards, etc.... Its all in what suits you. Whats better for you..

Im sure there will be many posts a few in a minutes agreeing with you, and a few disagreeing.

I myself see a need for both, but if I was forced to make a choice it would be mech for me.... I did not experience anything mind blowing in the 2 regulated devices I have.... but I like them.

So lets see what the consensus comes of this thread :) Just play nice "kiddies"

dbrandt01

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
Alabama
Mech mods are 100% safe if you know ohms law and battery safety. I ran mech mods for 6 months before going to a regulated device. Never once did I have a short. Never did I have a battery vent. Never did I have a battery get remotely warm.

Regulated devices are good. Mech mods are good, whether it be in tube form or in the form of a Reo Grand (squonker).

Mech mods have been around and will always be around. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean mech mods are pointless within other vapers.

Plus go to some cloud comps. I personally don't participate I don't care about clouds, but have watched. They don't allow regulated mods or dual 18650 unregulated box mods. They require the tube mech mods.

theddead

running with scissors since 1970
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2014
Minneapolis, Minnesota
I've used mechs 3 years no issues.
I love em.
I love my dna too.
But pop a battery in the tube toss on an rda.
And go.
No board to fail.
There's plenty of folks posting here how their regulated device failed.
I'm not saying one or the other is better.
I really like both.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!

DC2

Tootie Puffer
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 21, 2009
    San Diego
    I don't see the point of green peppers or olives.
    I didn't see the point of beets either, until my wife roasted some one night.

But then my poop came out with red liquid in the bowl.
    I didn't see the point of that either.

In fact, it actually had me scared a couple of days.
    But I'm getting a bit off topic now.
    :laugh:

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    Williamsport Md
    I do not see the point to mechanical mods from a practical point of view. From a hobbyist/enthusiast pov I understand that mechs are aesthetically pleasing and fun to build/modify.

But overall, regulateds in the last couple years have really stepped there game up and some of the new 100w and 150w dual battery regs can blow a mech out of the water.

Regs are computer controlled, have temp/wattage control and give a consistent vape without sacrificing battery life. They are also exponentially more safe.

I love vaping and the culture, but practically I don't ever see myself getting a mech and I think that in the future mechs will be left in the dust.

A Shiny New Ferrari does not stand a chance at a Vintage Car Show.

Everything has a purpose, just not for Every Person.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 26, 2013
    God's Country

Chips fail.
    Boards fail.
    They all will eventually fail. All electronics do.

Mechs don't.
    Nothing to fail.
    Mechs are never going away.
    They are 100% safe if you actually know what you are doing.

Neither are RBAs. No matter how good the prebuilt coil is.
    Some people do not want to live with the tether of buying coils.

edyle

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 23, 2013
    Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago

Unfortunately, most regulated mods still suffer the 510 centerpin problem, while on mech tube mods, adjustable centerpin is the norm.

Just as with tanks there are clearos and rebuildables,
    so with mods, I prefer a rebuildable (modular) setup.
    So far the closest thing to that is a mech with a kick.
    If I want to have a screen too, unfortunately i'd have to mod my own box

Susan~S

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 12, 2014
    Mpls/St.Paul, MN
    I didn't see the point of a little blue screwdriver review. I learned here and was better off for knowing.
    I didn't see the point of keeping 300 ton of wool for a mod, but @e-pipeman (and others) shined a light here.

As with everything in life, anything worth doing well just takes time, an open mind & a willingness to learn.:)
    I didn't see the point of beets either, until my wife roasted some one night.
    But then my poop came out with red liquid in the bowl.
    I didn't see the point of that either.

In fact, it actually had me scared a couple of days.
    But I'm getting a bit off topic now.:laugh:
    Guess your wife forgot to tell you the point of this.

What you could have learned was how long it took for your digestive tract to clear. That would have been a good thing to know. Guess you'll have to try again. Please report back. Inquiring minds wish to learn/know.:lol::lol:

theddead

running with scissors since 1970
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 11, 2014
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    I didn't see the point of a little blue screwdriver review. I learned here and was better off for knowing.
    I didn't see the point of keeping 300 ton of wool for a mod, but @e-pipeman (and others) shined a light here.

As with everything in life, anything worth doing well just takes time, an open mind & a willingness to learn.:)

Guess your wife forgot to tell you the point of this.

What you could have learned was how long it took for your digestive tract to clear. That would have been a good thing to know. Guess you'll have to try again. Please report back. Inquiring minds wish to learn/know.:lol::lol:

I don't want to know. ..
    I am going to buy beets on the way home though.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread