Review of the Snow Wolf 200 watt temp control mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

vapee

Jun 8, 2015
This is a review of the Snow Wolf 200 mod by Asmodus provided by gearbest for purposes of review.

snowwolfcloudmountain1B_zpsdduwplp4.jpg

Available here for $92.99 SnowWolf 200W Variable Wattage 5 - 200W Temperature Control Box Mod 510 Thread VW Mod-92.99 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com

Using this coupon SW200W might bring it down further

Its a powerful temp control mod that looks good with clean lines, no gaps in the body and a thick stainless steel frame. Its quite rare these days that a box mod would be made out of stainless steel but it definitely adds some weight as without batteries its about 239g. It definitely feels very solid though, even compared to the sigelei 100 watt mods its got a much thicker body as can be seen from the battery door.

Its fairly comfortable in the hand too with the rounded edges however with the heavier mods you might want to set it down occasionally as constantly holding it you can definitely notice some weight!

The screen is on the front rather than the sides, which is quite handy to see and when the screen is off its quite sleek as its hidden behind the main bodys glass type surface. The front and back both have this surface but is a bit of a fingerprint magnet. It might be possible to add a film screen protector or tempered glass protector over the sides if you wanted to protect it from say a phone with similar specs. I measured it at 4 inches across however the ratio of the sides would need to be the same too and you would want a protector that didn't have spaces for buttons/speakers etc. This could also stop the side from getting smudged as much.

201504221420289874.jpg

The 510 is sprung loaded and the threads are made of stainless steel, and the buttons have a nice solid feel and a are pleasantly clicky.

The screen also looks decent with the writing being quite big and the reading is down to 2 decimals which is handy too.

Theres no menu system to go through too as all the information is presented on the main screen, you just press the up and down button together to switch between temperature editing or watts editing. When putting on a new atomizer it'll ask if its a new one and you click + for yes or - for no. It does the switching from regular kanthal to nickel or titanium wire mode automatically which saves alot of time compared to other mods where you have to go through alot of menu options to change that.

Its also one of few temp control mods that can be vaped at high power in temp mode going up to 70 watts in temp mode and accepts nickel and titanium wires.

201504221420284090.jpg

Its clean inside with the components and wiring hidden away and the batteries fit in quite snug but it doesn't scratch the covers off as easily as the sigelei 100w I found at least with the samsung 25r's. If you add heat shrink tubing to the battery you need to make sure that the batteries are in tight though so the cover can sit flush. The back cover sits well too with the strong magnets and has the same kind of tab design the sigelei's have to determine which side the cover should sit.

snowwoldairekcity2_zps4xuxfiye.jpg

Its around the same height at the sigelei 100, 150, the pioneer4 u ipv3 li, ipv4 and new smok x cube 2 being at 100mm, the depth is 25mm so it'll fit the 22mm attys comfortably.

The main reason I like this mod is its stainless steel body which seems to mainly be found in the very high end short supply box mods these days or the zero mods clones that can be a bit hit n miss and have alot less power than this mod!

General use:

So far I'm just going to cover the watts mode in part 1 with temp control hopefully with nickel, titanium in part 2 but I've seen in a few reviews that temp control works well so far and it supports nickel and titanium wires and of course it passes the cotton test!

Its been good in general kanthal mode delivering the power well without pwm it seems when under 150watts and then it pulses at 150-200w, you would need batteries that can support the amps drawn at that power level though as the mod can work with 35amps but alot of batts don't deliver 35a continuously.

I even tested it with a mouth to lung setup with an ejuice that tastes weird after only 7 watts heh, so any kind of pulsing etc would be noticeable and it performed great.

Theres one slightly confusing thing at first though which is to do with the automatic temp sensing feature - every time you put a new atomizer on itll ask whether its new, if you say yes, then it starts the 3-5 second detection that seems to try to push the coil to a certain temperature to detect how the resistance changes presumably. This can sometimes appear as a weak vape in regular kanthal mode for those few seconds or an over powered vape on setups you would usually only vape at low watts.

I found that strange at first however you just need to take a continuous vape until the screen just shows the watts and not watts and temperature too. Also with setups that you don't want high watts to go into I found the best way to avoid any high temperatures is to stick a dripper coiled around 0.3 ohms with 26 awg wire then run it for a few seconds till it just shows the watts, then take that off and stick the other kanthal atomizer and click "-" to say its not a new one and it won't go through the sensing mode again.

So luckily this is only a slight issue if the power its using for detection is too much for your setup, but just a small issue if it is under powering the setup, also only turns up when switching attys if you click "+" for yes.

I think that its trying to deliver a certain wattage rather than volts to check the atty for temp sensing and its not delivering the batt's full voltage or the device's max voltage either, its possibly something around 30 ish watts I think but have not tested that yet, might try it in part 2 of the review.

snowwolfs2_zpst0gapkil.jpg

It has the usual protection functions too:

Low voltage protection: when the battery current is lower than 6.0V, love voltage protection. It shows "Checking battery"
High voltage protection: when the battery current is higher than 9.0V, high voltage protection. It shows"high voltage"
High temperature protection:when the temperature of PCBA is too high, temperature protection. It shows"Temperature is too high"
Short circuit protection: when the atomizer is short circuit, it shows"short circuit"
10 second cutoff in kanthal mode.
Battery venting holes at the bottom of the mod.
Mod goes into standby mode after 30 mins and is then locked.

When the battery bar shows that its half full, the batteries tested at 3.7 volts too, so for those who vape down to half way thats handy. The battery does take quite a while to get to half way due to it having 2x 18650s tho :)

So it seems like a good mod so far! Stay tuned for more updates in part 2.

snowwolfskyclouds2_zpsttmbrthh.jpg

snowwolfspace2_zpsginyqynp.jpg

snowwolftopmountains2_zpspekrtjb5.jpg

Murray B

Moved On
Jun 15, 2015
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Underaged registrant
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread