Smokers Turned off from Vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intervap

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2013
Port Huron, Mi
I find that most of my smoking friends/coworkers/family are turned off by the size of many ecigs and the hassle behind them. They're used to a pack and a lighter, that's not much to carry around and there is no upkeep.
Even when I show them an eGo battery and a iClear 16 they complain about the size, charging, filling, etc.
Do you think that batter technology will get better so the cigalikes will perform like an eGo? Maybe even have VV?
I think this is something that manufacturers need to look into. The people that I know that start vaping use cartos, and that's the smallest a delivery system can get (about the diameter of an analog). I can see a ton more people making the switch if we could just get cigalikes that performed, at least, like eGos. I know I'd probably buy one!
What is your take on this?

nicetucu

ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
Salem, Oregon
Smoking cigarettes is definitely much more convenient. It's easy as you said, pack of smokes and a lighter or matches.

It didn't take for my wife like it did with me. She still smokes her benson and hedges. I think in her case a cigalike would have been better. But also the flavor of the juice is just as important. Getting the right nic level and having something easy to use.

What she had was an ego twist 1000 mAh stainless version... in hindsight should have ordered the 650 model. Now she is very against it saying it is not her thing. She will quit cold turkey soon she says. I believe her, but so much easier using an e cig. I smoked for 32 years and this is my first time quitting and I have been successful so far. Having analogs around makes it a bit harder. Good thing I never really liked her cigs, they are not strong enough. I use 24mg in all my juices so far and happy with that for now. Not sure if I will do this for the rest of my life. Will take one day at a time.

A decent cigalike with stellar battery power and some extra features would sell very well.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I would wager that MOST of the people on this forum started with a cig-a-like for the very reason of size. I know I did.

When I joined this forum in April I had been using a GreenSmartLiving cig-a-like for a few months and had even started refilling the cartos instead of buying pre-filled cartos. I was still strongly against anything larger. It took a while but I eventually decided to give an eGo 650mAh pass through a chance and last night I finally ordered a full sized mod (iTaste SVD). I would say that most people will need to slowly transition from analog to full sized mod the same way.

As far as can a cig-a-like ever be made to perform like a larger device? Not in the foreseeable future. The technology to cram at least 650mAh of power + VV circuits into that small of a form factor just does not exist yet. It is going to take a major breakthrough in battery tech to get that done.

In the meantime, I suggest to my size reluctant friends to start the same way I did, on the GreenSmartLiving cig-a-like. For a cig-a-like I got good vape time out of the battery and prefilled cartos. As a former pack a day smoker, the battery lasted all day (most days) and a carto would last 1.5-2 days. With starter kits going for $23 and a 5 pack of refills going for about $14 with free shipping, it really isn't a bad deal to get started with.

VV_James

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2009
Austin, TX
www.ValueVapor.com
I find that most of my smoking friends/coworkers/family are turned off by the size of many ecigs and the hassle behind them. They're used to a pack and a lighter, that's not much to carry around and there is no upkeep.
Even when I show them an eGo battery and a iClear 16 they complain about the size, charging, filling, etc.
Do you think that batter technology will get better so the cigalikes will perform like an eGo? Maybe even have VV?
I think this is something that manufacturers need to look into. The people that I know that start vaping use cartos, and that's the smallest a delivery system can get (about the diameter of an analog). I can see a ton more people making the switch if we could just get cigalikes that performed, at least, like eGos. I know I'd probably buy one!
What is your take on this?

Grab a few Njoy kings (the red box) disposables and get them to try those...
Yes, I know they're expensive, but they are without a doubt the closest thing to a real cigarette you're likely to find.

Pretty quick, they'll want a longer lasting battery, and more juice capacity. less expensive to maintain...
Then's the time to introduce them to an eGo/CE4/Charger blister pac and a bottle of at least 24mg juice...

At that point the size and shape will be less of an issue... Get 'em hooked then let nature take it's course...

Baby steps!

Barbara21

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2013
Greenville, SC, USA
This might work. I just bought several of these from FastTech.

$5.30 510-X 400mAh Rechargeable Battery for Electronic Cigarette (Black) - 510 thread at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

They're 400 mAh/11mm wide/79mm long.

(For reference, a cigalike is usually around 180mAh/9mm wide/70mm long and a standard ego is 650mAh/14mm wide/77mm long.)

They're like a compromise between cigalikes and egos. They're also automatic - no button - so you can 'hold' them like a analog. And you can buy little 1mL clearos or use regular 510-threaded cartos. Heck, even buy pre-filled cartos - can't get much easier than that.

BigBen2k

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2013
MA, USA
The big batteries are certainly intimidating; I had no intention of starting out with one, but sadly, the current technology is what it is, and we're many, many years away from a smaller/lighter solution.

I suppose it isn't a bad thing though, to start on a cig-a-like, even if it's a disposable; doesn't it make the transition easier? I would've probably choked on my current gear!

Intervap

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2013
Port Huron, Mi
ScottP,
I started with Blus and immediately hated them but still sprung for an eGo and clearo. Size wasn't a matter for me though.
I never ran across a decent cigalike but I hear surprisingly good things about Green, definitely recommending them to my buddies.
Btw, my first mod was an SVD and I love it. Hope you enjoy your new toy :D

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
This might work. I just bought several of these from FastTech.

$5.30 510-X 400mAh Rechargeable Battery for Electronic Cigarette (Black) - 510 thread at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

They're 400 mAh/11mm wide/79mm long.

(For reference, a cigalike is usually around 180mAh/9mm wide/70mm long and a standard ego is 650mAh/14mm wide/77mm long.)

They're like a compromise between cigalikes and egos. They're also automatic - no button - so you can 'hold' them like a analog. And you can buy little 1mL clearos or use regular 510-threaded cartos. Heck, even buy pre-filled cartos - can't get much easier than that.

This! I'm fully into advanced mods and still want to try these.

VprNomi

ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2011
WI
I think it's about mostly about motivation and support. My husband and I were both very heavy smokers, which is extremely expensive (more than our two car payments combined), so even though most people think smokers want to quit for health reasons (and I'm sure some do), we both enjoyed smoking very much and didn't want to quit - we just couldn't afford it anymore.

So one day I called my Mom (also a smoker, but trying unsuccessfully to quit via more traditional NRTs, help groups, etc.) asking for money to buy cigarettes before payday; not like I wanted to, but I was desperate. So she told me "No" but then she came over and gave me a BluCig starter kit, saying that she tried it & didn't like it but maybe it would work for me (to hold me over until payday). I'd never even heard of vaping or e-cigs before and after my first puff, I was very interested. I gotta hand it to BluCigs - their PCC being very similar to a hard plastic box-top cigarette pack is ingenius for marketing purposes. I liked it, a lot. I was very intrigued by the experience and even though it didn't take long for me to realize that the BluCigs weren't going to work for me (draining batteries before the next was charged & hated the flavors), I was interested enough to start doing some research. Once I realized there were other options, including all kinds of yummy juices (desserts, sweets, fruit, coffee) and I could save a ton of money, I was definitely interested seeing if I could make the switch from smoking to vaping permanently. I bought several KR808's, a bunch of empty cartos (all different types, sizes & vendors) and lots of different juices in various nic levels to find what worked best. I was POSITIVE that my setup would have to look & feel like a cigarette in order for it to work for me (for the most part - I did like the different colors and a bit of bling from the V4L batteries with the crystal tips vs. ash tips). My husband was NOT interested. Well, at first he was a little bit curious but he didn't like most of the flavors (even the tobaccos), didn't want to push a button (on the manuals), didn't like the fact the you need to inhale differently when you're vaping than when you smoke, and quickly lost interest completely when he saw that I was still constantly charging batteries, not impressed with lots of the juice samples (which piled up as I bought more to try & the stuff I didn't like sat around, wasted) and fussing with refilling cartos. I kept trying for a few months & got an 808 Ego style battery or two to solve the constant charging issue but I still wasn't finding the right juice, wasn't thrilled about constantly topping off cartos (and not being able to tell if a burnt tasted was a dead carto, a need to refill or just slow wicking juice that I was chain-vaping too quickly). Clearos were brand new back then, still having a lot of problems, so I wasn't ready to try them yet. Plus, I was spending even more money rather than saving anything (temporarily) because I was still trying to find the right juice & hardware to work (while I continued to smoke almost as much as before at the same time), which was opposite the goal and I was running out of storage solutions to keep all the "stash" in, so I just gave up & went back to smoking because it was easier.

A couple of years later, again for financial reasons, I came back. Now I'm exclusively using Crystal Vision clearos and 808 Ego style batts (I was surprised to discover that looking & feeling like a cigarette doesn't matter as much as I was so sure it would after all - though I still miss that little bit of crystal bling), with several juices that I really like from a couple of now go-to vendors. This time, within a few days, my smoking dropped in half and within a week or two, I was down to an average of 5 cigarettes a day. I still smoke a few cigarettes a day but I don't care about them anymore. I can leave the house without them & not feel anxious about it. I'm honestly not even sure why I still smoke a few a day except that even at 12mg nic, the throat hit on my PV is still a lot harsher than a full flavor cigarette for some reason (I may need to go to 100% VG), so usually the first smoke or maybe two of the morning is a cigarette because starting the day with my PV is still a bit too much to handle. I'm working on that though, trying to go to the PV first with itty bitty "hits" until my throat's warmed up & ready.

Anyway, the point is that my husband is simply not motivated to make the switch to vaping even though he's watched the process I went through and sees it working for me. His perspective is that he tried it & didn't like it. Occasionally, I'll get him to take one hit from a new flavor (today it was Bananas Foster from Velvet Vapors & he said "mmm... that's good") but that's it. He won't take another. He's happy for me & doesn't give me any heck about buying vape stuff anymore since I'm hardly smoking (so we're saving money now). It's just not something that he's motivated to do himself. He says he'll quit smoking cold turkey when I completely stop smoking at all. We'll see :)

The other point is that I think a lot of us have to start out with mini kits that look like cigarettes because we think that's what we want, at first. It takes awhile before many of us realize that we don't need for it to look or feel like a cigarette to work and in fact, the ones that look less like cigarettes work better. If mom had brought me a Provari/tank set up to begin with, I probably would have been too scared of it to even give it a shot and I never would have started on the journey that got me here. The other huge factor in getting me to most past the mini's was ECF. This forum opened up the wonderful world of vaping possibilities to me and gave me a huge source of learning; from information of all sorts (what's out there, what ohms and volts mean, reviews, etc.) to much needed community & support. I live in a tiny town in nowhere, WI and honestly think I'm the only vaper here :)

BluCigs got me started with their simplicity and design, being close to what I was used to and uncomplicated. ECF kept me on the journey long enough to find my sweet spot. Now that I have about 10 juices and batts/clearos that I love, it's not that complicated and I don't need a lot of space to store stuff anymore because I don't need to keep searching anymore. So I think starting with mini's is probably not such a bad way for a smoker to get started, it's whether or not they can find the right resources & support (refer them to ECF!) and then stay motivated enough to go through that learning process long enough to settle in comfortably.

Just MHO.

Last edited:

S1LV3R

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2009
Knoxville, TN
Grab a few Njoy kings (the red box) disposables and get them to try those...
Yes, I know they're expensive, but they are without a doubt the closest thing to a real cigarette you're likely to find.

Pretty quick, they'll want a longer lasting battery, and more juice capacity. less expensive to maintain...
Then's the time to introduce them to an eGo/CE4/Charger blister pac and a bottle of at least 24mg juice...

At that point the size and shape will be less of an issue... Get 'em hooked then let nature take it's course...

Baby steps!

Forget the Njoys and the Blus, get some of these. The regular is very close to a marlboro and the apache is a good tobacco too! They may even like the cinnamon. Ive gotten a couple people off regular cigs using flings. And they seem to dig the cinnamons. At 400 puffs per its a much better bang for your buck.

Buy Electronic Cigarettes | Disposable & Rechargeable | White Cloud

CrimsonJack

Ursus Praedonum
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2013
The Vobbit Hole
I agree with the folks that were saying it's an excuse for folks who don't really want to quit. We all know an eGo setup takes up less pocket room than a pack of smokes and a lighter, and I disagree with whoever it was that said smoking is less of a hassle than vaping. No worries about where to ash, put your butts, cleaning ashtrays, cleaning up after you SPILL an ashtray, cleaning ashes out of your car, scrubbing that weird film off your windshield you get after smoking in your car for awhile, burn holes in upholstery, seats, clothes, etc. Oh, and CANCER. Cancer is a hassle. Sorry, but having to stick it on a charger at the end of the day and finding room in your pocket for something the size of a freaking sharpie doesn't offset the simple benefit of NOT GETTING CANCER OR HEART DISEASE or any of the other thousand freaking things that cigarettes do to you. So tell 'em to quit making excuses. Here's the world's easiest way to get off cigarettes. They can take it from there.

HDVaper

Ultra Super Senior Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
www.oktom.com
I remember the first time I actually saw large APV. My neighbor had just started vaping and had one. Of course, being a gadget nut, I was intrigued. I had just started a few days earlier with a ego 650 battery and a CE4 clearomizer. So he offered me a vape and I was pretty much hooked. The vapor production was so much better than my ego.

It took me a month or so of reading ECF posts to get around to one. But I'm sure glad I did!! Now I have several APVs and without having to put up with the constant refilling and leaking of the CE4s, I think it probably saved me from going back to analogs. But everybody must go through a bit of a learning code I suspect, just like I did. Please don't give up, you'll "get it" sooner or later.

williebb123

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2010
Mount Shasta California
yeah the small pen type batts got me off the analogs but the big battery mods kept me off , change is a funny thing though , just think when you started smoking .....always keeping a full pack so you didnt run out in the middle of the nite , having lighters scattered all over the house and car so we always had fire ( just like when caveman discovered fire for the first time never to let it go out lol )now the same thing with ecigs there is a change and some people do not like change and some do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread