Smokie's E-Cig Vaping, and Lung breathing issue, what do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2009
Brooklyn, New York
www.youtube.com
Smokie's E-Cig vaping, and Lung breathing issue

As many of you know I have been vaping for over 3 years now with loving it. I have weened down over the years to 10 - 12 mg of nicotine with a 50/50 PG, VG mix, and vaping about 5 mls a day in different Mods using 4.5 to 5 volts on all sorts of attys, and cartos.

Over the past 3 months I have a hard time breathing at night time when trying to fall asleep, and have some minor lung simulation during the day time that comes, and goes.
So I decided to do my own testing before seeking medical advice.

1. I cut down on vaping for a week by only using ego bats with dripping on to a LR 2.0 ohm atty.
RESULTS: Felt 100% better

2. I tried for only 1 day not to vape at all, and during that afternoon I had to buy some Nicotine Gum 2mg at a local CVS store because it was almost like trying to quit analogs, with having some of the same type of withdrawals.
RESULTS: Felt 100% better.

Now after these two self tests, plus a Exam with my primary doctor, and a full check up with a cardiologist including a $3000.00 FULL BLOOD TEST, from cells to things that I never knew they can tested for I went to see a Pulmonary Doctor, with not telling the doctor until after all the tests were done that I vape. I had a examination, overnight sleep study done, a chest x-ray, and multiple breathing function tests with a technician.

Final visit, and review: The doctor could not find a thing wrong with me! The oxygen in my blood was 99%, and the sleep study was normal with a lot of rem. So now after he told me this, that's when I told him that I vape. He replied with saying that it is great that you picked up vaping to stop smoking after 35 years of it, and that I should Stop vaping now also because the Organics ( meaning the PG, and VG ) are irritating my lungs. That was his final conclusion of my problem. Now I have to agree with him to a point because of the two self tests I did, and never mentioning a word about me vaping to him until my last visit.

Now I am not saying this will happen to you, different things effect individuals in different ways.
I really enjoy vaping, and want to continue, so if anyone out their has or had a similar problem please let me know, and what you did for it.

My next step is to try 100% VG, then 100% PG to see if there is any change.

If anyone has any solutions or ideas to this please let me know, I will give them all a try within reason. I can be contacted through Email [deleted email address]
Thank you all for reading this, and please leave any comment or suggestion you may have.

Peace Out, Vape On, Smokie
doctor.jpg
2012-03-25 19-17-56.076.jpg

Last edited:

TamJeff

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2012
United States
Are/were you a chain vaper? I watch some of the videos of such and when I hear of chain vaping being commonplace, it seems rather worrisome. I put the ecig down and hit it at most like I would a cigarette, then not again until at least 20-30 mins have passed, again, much like the frequency of analogs. I have had no ill effects in two years of vaping. I am also active and my lungs get a workout otherwise. I also switch between the cigarette sized 808's and don't use a high powered mod except when I am home. The smaller 808 takes a few to get used to the lighter vape compared to my ego or Lavatube but after an hr or so, it becomes sufficient.

smokie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2009
Brooklyn, New York
www.youtube.com
Are/were you a chain vaper? I watch some of the videos of such and when I hear of chain vaping being commonplace, it seems rather worrisome. I put the ecig down and hit it at most like I would a cigarette, then not again until at least 20-30 mins have passed, again, much like the frequency of analogs. I have had no ill effects in two years of vaping. I am also active and my lungs get a workout otherwise. I also switch between the cigarette sized 808's and don't use a high powered mod except when I am home. The smaller 808 takes a few to get used to the lighter vape compared to my ego or Lavatube but after an hr or so, it becomes sufficient.
I vape twice as much as I use to smoke which was 2 packs a day, and what my self test told me is that I need to vape less by either using a lower powered device like you use, or just less puffs on a Mod. I thank you for your input, and I need to get some kind of different self control from what I am use to for accomplishing this.

Vape On, Smokie

McAldo

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2012
London
Thanks for sharing this.
There is a lack of medical evidence about long term vaping consequences, or lack thereof, and what you say is very interesting.
While I have only recently started vaping, I just love it and would like that it's compeltely harmless,
But I have suffered from lung irritation and stomach acidity from long vaping sessions. And some form of nasal irritation, a very strange, unpleasant feeling of humidity when exhaling through the nose. Some days I do suffer from dry cough, which I never suffered from while smoking.
Interestingly, this only started after using cinammon for several days, which I understand contains extremely aggressive components, and also shifting from a mini to ego and lavatube. Throat hit just killed me.
But it didn't quite stopped when I ditched the cinnamon.
Now, I tend not to inhale much, take shorter draws, and I am careful to let the vapour cool off quite a bit. I try treating it like pipe or cigar smoking, only occasionally inhaling for throat hit and often resorting to my low voltage mini. And try limiting vaping, which also makes flavours ore enjoyable, at least for me. It got better.
But, having quitted a 20 year smoking habit, it's difficult to say how much of this could be due to having stopped smoking. And smoking does have a paralysing effect on what triggers cough.

Your case is much more interesting as you stopped smoking long time ago.
I hope you feel better and better. Keep us posted!

smokie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2009
Brooklyn, New York
www.youtube.com
Let me ask you what type of 808 are you using, make, model, and type of carto with ohms, I have tried more recently the Volt from smokelessimage which is good, but checking out what others like in a 808.

TamJeff

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2012
United States
The best thing that happened to me is that the first week I quit smoking, I was on the patch. This told me how much I was addicted to the habit, maybe even more so than the nicotine. When I started vaping, I was so happy that I was able to actually feel like I was smoking something, that I have since been careful not to take it for granted. So, whenever I think I am starting to like vaping a little too much, I remember where I came from. Suddenly, the smaller e-cig is just fine.

Another consideration is the visual aspect with regards to the amount of vapor cloud. If I am getting a good throat hit and the cloud is not as large as I think I like. . .I just close my eyes momentarily, or blink so to speak so that the amount of vapor becomes less important. As it is now, I have a fan on in here and I can't see much of the cloud anyway and it has somewhat diminished in importance, and I am no longer drawing for more than 2-3 seconds at a time.

Good luck with whatever it is that is causing discomfort.

Vaptor

ECF Veteran
May 15, 2012
sydney
Well I'm actually experiencing little heavier chest at the moment. I've been vaping for 4 months and was perfect till two weeks ego when I got my Lavatube. I've noticed it would hit me much harder than my average 3.3V setting on other non-variable voltage mods. So I set the Lavatube at 3V and used it like that for two weeks thinking that maybe I'm getting a cold. But recently the VV un-accurate voltages have come up on the Net and I realized that maybe I'm vaping at far more than 3V. So I've gone back to my steady 3.3V for a day and the heavy chest feeling started to go away. So right now I'm thinking that my chest was getting irritated by too strong flavor and that your doctor might be right. Even tho I believe that vaping doesn't cause harm I do think that too much heavy vapor/flavor can't be good either and could lead to some at least temporary problems.
Too much of anything can make one sick no matter how healthy it is. For example Icecream is harmless and I love eating it but often I eat way too much and the next day I get heavy feeling in my stomach. But it's hard to have only half a bowl, hehehe

Orobas

Equine Disrespect
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2012
Jarhead City
My next step is to try 100% VG, then 100% PG to see if there is any change.

This is what I thought, first thing, because alot of people are sensitive to PG, and still other people can't have VG because of a lung-coating effect.

But as much as we enjoy vaping, and though many of us have no plans to quit, if you're managing to wean yourself then more power to you. Perhaps get yourself to where you're just enjoying some 6mg after dinner or something.

In any case I'm sure it's easier to quit vaping than smoking, because for me at least the need to vape is nowhere near as urgent as the need to smoke once was.

gthompson

Free at last
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2011
Tennessee, USA
I have to think it would be much easier for me to quit vaping than it would have been to quit smoking without ever vaping. I could be wrong about that, but I can leave the house with no PV and juice and not have panic attacks (so long as I'm not gone TOO long ;)). I could not have left the house ever without my cigarettes for even 5 minutes.

Reactions: MagicJosh

dragonrage

ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2012
melrose fl
I vape twice as much as I use to smoke which was 2 packs a day, and what my self test told me is that I need to vape less by either using a lower powered device like you use, or just less puffs on a Mod. I thank you for your input, and I need to get some kind of different self control from what I am use to for accomplishing this.

Vape On, Smokie
i have this problem when i start to chain vape at high volts for to long of time. so i vape between my vv at 5v on a vivi nova 2.4ohm or 2.8ohm head and a 2ohm carto on a 3.7v mod and when i started to go between the two the problem went away. so when i feel like chain vaping i use my 3.7v and when i need the extra hit i use the vv

hitman4274

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2012
south west florida
I had a pressure in my chest towards the end of the day around bed time for awhile now myself, I've had an array of tests done, like yourself, everything seems fine to doctors as I'm paying about 4 grand for them to tell me they don't know what's wrong, haven't been able to put my pv down long enough to track it down to me vaping. I do make my own juice I will have to give the 100% of either or a go and see how that goes still. I'm going back to my primary Dr soon, prolly gonna send me off to get more tests done from somewhere else. I didn't hide my Vapping from the doctors at all, they didn't even bring it up as a factor. I answered the "do you smoke?" With "I recently quit and now use an ecig..." And that was that... Let's share our results as we go along... Might be able to figure this out,

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

charmed412

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2010
constant state of confusion
I have been vaping almost 2 years. In the last 8 months, I have had issues with wheezing, heavy chest, and coughing. My was related to my chemo/radiation changing my lung tissue. But after a long experiment, I know that I can not deviate from 50/50 very much. I can not do menthol at all. And there are some flavors that aggravate my symptoms, TPA raspberry is one. I can't do many bakery flavors like I used to, although I have recently found some that I can vape. And I still try new vendors and flavors, but only one new juice at a time. My symptoms will usually show up within 12 hours. If they show up, that new juice goes into a small priority shipping box and when the box is full, it goes to my fiance in Michigan.
I tend to be a low volt vaper and I rarely go over 4.5 even with 3.0 cartos in my tank.

I will eventually quit vaping.....not any time soon though......

SmokinBones

Moved On
Aug 18, 2012
Ohio
Interesting!

I'm a little curious though as to why or rather how, the doctor came to the conclusion that it was the vaping that caused the issue. I'm in no way discrediting his findings and don't want to be interpreted that way.

I just find it curious that with all the testing he found nothing wrong and only came to this conclusion after you told him you are a vaper.

@ The OP

I haven't read the entire thread so this may been answered already but do you only notice the problem while vaping?

You said that it happens mostly at night (or so I understand), and that's rather interesting to me. I also have more respiratory problems at night. This year in particular has been bad for it. This started well before I ever started vaping. I have a niece with really terrible allergies, asthma and other respiratory issues and she also is worse at night. Her doctor says that the barometric pressure change at night can cause more respiratory problems. After finding this out I just chalked my issue up to the barometric pressure changes.

One thing that I've noticed since I found this out with my niece is that the problem with my lungs and breathing also are worse when rain is coming....which could also be connected to barometer change. It may be something you would like to discuss with your doctor. Like I said, this year for some reason, has been the worst I can remember for having respiratory issues. Others from this area that I talk to claim the same thing...it might be something locally for me or it might be atmospheric changes. Either way, it's food for thought.

BTW...I live in southwest Ohio....if that's any consequence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread