Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeylab

Jun 3, 2014
All Around
I am not a fan of top caps with adjustable pins on a mech mod. Seems to me that universal 510 atomizer threading, and hybrid adapters/ tops are slowly making traditional top caps redundant and obsolete. I like when mod makers design their devices to have the ability to have the battery touch the atomizer directly. And, no matter how much I spend on a mod, or how delicately I handle them, they all seem to suffer from lock ring/top cap/bottom button lockups that require pliers (and subsequent scratches) to un-seize. Couple that with the fact that the price of mechs seems to be going up and up, and that the customer support from these companies (in some cases like Surefire Vapor and Aethertech), is non existent, I have become a little disillusioned. But I saw this mod on Tobh's instagram, and it looked interesting. No top cap at all, no pins to adjust, very small form, plus a screwdriver slit on the bottom button. No more pliers! Well, probably I'll need them to get the atty off from time to time, but no more plier scratches on the tubes and caps!! I don't mid scratches on a screwdriver area(although they can be minimized) because that is an area designed to scratched, in a sense. Plus, it costs half of what I would have normally spent on a new mod. I ordered one today and am looking forward to seeing it person. I travel for work a lot, and this will simply things for me when I'm on the road. More designs and prices like this are certainly welcomed by me!!

reviews and photos welcomed!! I'll review mine once it arrives.

Also, the product description from https://thevaporlair.com

Introducing the SMPL mod! An original mod from Epic Design Studios! The SMPL mod was a year long journey; produced to simplify the vaping experience. The SMPL mod is compact, easy to use, innovative, and proudly made in the USA (Garden Grove, CA). Features include: Direct battery to atomizer 510 connection for enhanced performance and battery life, “No Top Cap” design constructed out of a one piece tube eliminating hybridizers and top caps, and a simple short throw recessed button that easily threads and un-threads from the tube with a finger or coin. There is no top cap, no bottom cap, and no adjustable pins. You simply twist on your atomizer, drop in your battery, and twist up your button. That’s it. The best part? It only costs $120!

Dimensions:
-18650 22mm x 78mm

10597247_658310120927366_1093013190_n_zps1d16de7c.jpg

NerdVap0r

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
Bay Area
what happens when the the threads strip on any mods top cap(510, base and pin)? still less parts to deal with and less to go wrong.
Than we have the option to buy extra caps, hybrid adaptors, & clones to replace the caps instead of buying the whole mech again for $120+ lol?? Logic my friend. No offense to you or the mod itself. Just a gripe with the no cap design.

Last edited:

mikeylab

Jun 3, 2014
All Around
Than we have the option to buy extra caps, hybrid adaptors, & clones to replace the caps instead of buying the whole mech again for $120+ lol?? Logic my friend

i don't buy clones and generally new top cap are not available for authentic mods. logic is: less parts equals less things that can go wrong. also, the smarter judgement is to buy something once that will last of a long period, as opposed to buying a lot of something else that will not last as long. even if the $ equals in the end, time and frustration will have been saved.

schuff

ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2013
Dickson, TN
Does this come in brass or copper. If so I'm sold. Never again will I buy a mod unless my atty touches the battery. It's just common sense to me.

Yes it comes in SS, brass or copper. It's 18650 only right now but 18500 / 18350 will be for sell soon.

I'm debating grabbing one myself since I love my 4nine so much. My only question I want answered would be if there is an insulator between where the 510 pin and battery connect? I know that was an early issue with the 4nine just in case the atomizer is a tad short of contacting and was wondering if there put one on the SMPL.

Last edited:

wonkeypickle

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
'murrikka
to OP: please do us all a favor, head down to your local supermarket. in the baking isle, there will be these neat little rubber pads called "jar openers". the next time your mod gets stuck together, use the "jar openers" as a way to grip the seperate peices, shouldn't take too much effort. Now slowly back away from the pliers.:toast:

mikeylab

Jun 3, 2014
All Around
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Not Appropriate

sahsah

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2013
los angeles, california, USA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread