Subox Mini-where's my flavor at??

Status
Not open for further replies.

RhoRo

Jun 25, 2015
Hey! So I am NOT well versed when it comes to vaping. I staterd out with an I stick 30 and an atomizer 2. I recently got the subox mini and the flavor is way different..duh to me, right. I have premium oil (jimmy the juiceman) but I feel like there should be WAY MORE flavor! I tried the coil that came with it first and now I'm using the rebuildable. I watched a video on how to set it up-did everything right but still..tastes a bit off to me. The oil tasted way different when my friend had it in his tank(sweet & good) and it tastes sour in mine. I shake the oil first so i don't know wtf :( Any tips for a noob will be greatly appreciated.

tehmidcap

Verified Member
Mar 13, 2015
PA
The friend is also using the Subox and using the liquid from your bottle and it tastes different? Do you know if he had his wattage and/or airflow higher or lower than you did on yours? Was he using the same resistance atomizer?

If you have the airflow on the highest setting, try clicking it down a notch or two... Airflow is typically the enemy of flavor. Reducing (or even possibly increasing) the wattage will have an effect on flavor as well. There's also going to be a good deal difference in the vape in general between the 0.5ohm coil head and the 1.5ohm coil head.

Sometimes it takes a bit to break the cotton in the coil head in, also. So it may just work itself out by the time you fill it the second time.

It's also possible that your Subox was not clean when it arrived, though with my Subtank Minis I always used them straight out of the box without any problems. Some other tank systems (usually rebuildables but not always) require a good cleaning before use to get rid of that factory taste (usually machine oil or metal shavings).

Reactions: RhoRo

thailand

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
RhoRo, I did notice a huge difference in taste as well, but for the better. I came from an eVod, at 1.2mg nic. So the people at my store advised me to go down to 0.6mg since the vape would be much bigger.
But, could your bad flavor be cause by a dry burn when you first got it? I soaked the RBA cotton before I even started vaping. Is it possible the wick wasn't wet completely before your first vape? Maybe burnt cotton is causing the bad taste?

RhoRo

Jun 25, 2015
RhoRo, I did notice a huge difference in taste as well, but for the better. I came from an eVod, at 1.2mg nic. So the people at my store advised me to go down to 0.6mg since the vape would be much bigger.
But, could your bad flavor be cause by a dry burn when you first got it? I soaked the RBA cotton before I even started vaping. Is it possible the wick wasn't wet completely before your first vape? Maybe burnt cotton is causing the bad taste?

Hi! THanks for the response. I thoroughly soaked my wick so I'm not sure wtf..I went down from the 1.2 to a .6 as well..now moving down to 3 when possible. Do you feel like the nicotine adds flavor to your juice? They say it's flavorless but I'm curious what other ppl think. I also want to know what other ppl use for the wire in their RBAs. I like vapor but I LOVE flavor more and I'm looking to maximize. Any suggestions for maximizing flavor on my subox??

RhoRo

Jun 25, 2015
The friend is also using the Subox and using the liquid from your bottle and it tastes different? Do you know if he had his wattage and/or airflow higher or lower than you did on yours? Was he using the same resistance atomizer?

If you have the airflow on the highest setting, try clicking it down a notch or two... Airflow is typically the enemy of flavor. Reducing (or even possibly increasing) the wattage will have an effect on flavor as well. There's also going to be a good deal difference in the vape in general between the 0.5ohm coil head and the 1.5ohm coil head.

Sometimes it takes a bit to break the cotton in the coil head in, also. So it may just work itself out by the time you fill it the second time.

It's also possible that your Subox was not clean when it arrived, though with my Subtank Minis I always used them straight out of the box without any problems. Some other tank systems (usually rebuildables but not always) require a good cleaning before use to get rid of that factory taste (usually machine oil or metal shavings).

Hi! I'm unsure what tank my friend had-something like an "artic" something or another. So yeah, I see..different tank=different taste. I ma curious about your mention of the coil head. Is the coil head just the actual metal coil loopy thing? I need some schooling on that. What makes a higher ohm? Thicker gauge?

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
Nicotine, at least to me, has a slight bit of a tang to it. It's more of a feeling than a flavor. When I was reading your first post, that's the first thing that came into mind.

The second suggestion, is try it at a cooler temperature. That means lower wattages and higher ohms. Sometimes juices taste different depending on how much heat is given to them. I tend to find the sweeter ones like the lower heat settings. Although I occasionally use a subtank, I find I'm cutting the airflow down to the two hole setting, and lowering the wattage. It just tastes better to me.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
RhoRo, there's a lot to cover with your questions and you do need some "educaretion".

First of all try varying the power level, start low and work your way up. You will usually find a "sweet spot". The next thing is different wick materials will produce different flavors. If the guy at the store was using rayon or cotton it would taste different than a prebuilt using silica wick. Wire gauge works backwards, the bigger the number, the smaller the wire and the higher the resistance.

I would suggest you look around here on ECF. There's a ton of knowledge out there for the picking and knowledge is power.

RhoRo

Jun 25, 2015
Nicotine, at least to me, has a slight bit of a tang to it. It's more of a feeling than a flavor. When I was reading your first post, that's the first thing that came into mind.

The second suggestion, is try it at a cooler temperature. That means lower wattages and higher ohms. Sometimes juices taste different depending on how much heat is given to them. I tend to find the sweeter ones like the lower heat settings. Although I occasionally use a subtank, I find I'm cutting the airflow down to the two hole setting, and lowering the wattage. It just tastes better to me.

Oh, I suspected as much about the nicotine. I quit cigs in february and I'm down to .6..looking to wean completely to pure vape. :) Ok-dumb question but what exactly contitutes a subtank? is that what i have? is my other tank (aeotank2) a subtank?

RhoRo

Jun 25, 2015
RhoRo, there's a lot to cover with your questions and you do need some "educaretion".

First of all try varying the power level, start low and work your way up. You will usually find a "sweet spot". The next thing is different wick materials will produce different flavors. If the guy at the store was using rayon or cotton it would taste different than a prebuilt using silica wick. Wire gauge works backwards, the bigger the number, the smaller the wire and the higher the resistance.

I would suggest you look around here on ECF. There's a ton of knowledge out there for the picking and knowledge is power.

HA!! edumacation, lol..I'm at work & typing poorly. My apologies.

Reactions: awsum140

SleeZy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2014
Sweden
Hi! THanks for the response. I thoroughly soaked my wick so I'm not sure .....I went down from the 1.2 to a .6 as well..now moving down to 3 when possible. Do you feel like the nicotine adds flavor to your juice? They say it's flavorless but I'm curious what other ppl think. I also want to know what other ppl use for the wire in their RBAs. I like vapor but I LOVE flavor more and I'm looking to maximize. Any suggestions for maximizing flavor on my subox??

Higher nic = less flavor in my experience.
Then for more flavor you could get higher PG juices as it's the PG that carries the flavor.
PG = flavor
VG = more vapor/clouds

Hi! I'm unsure what tank my friend had-something like an "artic" something or another. So yeah, I see..different tank=different taste. I ma curious about your mention of the coil head. Is the coil head just the actual metal coil loopy thing? I need some schooling on that. What makes a higher ohm? Thicker gauge?

Arctic tank is way diffrent from the tank that comes with the subox kit.
Yea the tanks matters then the Coil build matters the most (the metal coil loopy thing :p)

But i'm in no doubt that the subox kit will perform nearly as good especially if you're new in the vaping scene.
If you're new, you kinda head dived right into the more experienced territory.

Every juice get diffrent taste from diffrent wattage. Some are awesome at 10w some needs 20w for the flavor to come through alot.

For the subox kit as a beginner i would aim for 1 ohm builds at most and work from there. Unless you're a direct lung hitter.

Read up on Ohms law and check some youtube vids about coil building and you will learn quite alot. :)

Edit: Noticed your new comments while i was posting this. I realy recommend you to read up abit first and work from there. :) At the moment you're head diving right in without knowledge needed. :) No offense meant. :)

RhoRo

Jun 25, 2015
Higher nic = less flavor in my experience.
Then for more flavor you could get higher PG juices as it's the PG that carries the flavor.
PG = flavor
VG = more vapor/clouds

Arctic tank is way diffrent from the tank that comes with the subox kit.
Yea the tanks matters then the Coil build matters the most (the metal coil loopy thing :p)

But i'm in no doubt that the subox kit will perform nearly as good especially if you're new in the vaping scene.
If you're new, you kinda head dived right into the more experienced territory.

Every juice get diffrent taste from diffrent wattage. Some are awesome at 10w some needs 20w for the flavor to come through alot.

For the subox kit as a beginner i would aim for 1 ohm builds at most and work from there. Unless you're a direct lung hitter.

Read up on Ohms law and check some youtube vids about coil building and you will learn quite alot. :)

Fantastic!! Good Info, thank you!! I am not SO new. I quit smoking in february and started with a pen, moved up to an istick with an aerotank2 then to the subox. But thank you-I will definitely check into coil building :) What do you prefer? and what do you use?

Reactions: SleeZy

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
I use, mainly, Fogger 4.1, Big Fogger, Forgger V6 and Erlkonigin. For wire I use 28 and 30 gauge Kanthal depending on what mod I'm going to use the build on. Then I use titanium, grade 1, in any build that's going on a temperature controlled mod. I use rayon for wick in everything.

SleeZy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2014
Sweden
Fantastic!! Good Info, thank you!! I am not SO new. I quit smoking in february and started with a pen, moved up to an istick with an aerotank2 then to the subox. But thank you-I will definitely check into coil building :) What do you prefer? and what do you use?

Well i can't give a real answer to that due my preferances changes daily. ^^
But i usualy keep myself with simple micro coils around 1-1.2 ohms. Or dripper i'm running dual coils at 0.4-0.5.

But as i suggested in my edit: You realy need to learn the basics first before diving right in. :)

Reactions: awsum140

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
Oh, I suspected as much about the nicotine. I quit cigs in february and I'm down to .6..looking to wean completely to pure vape. :) Ok-dumb question but what exactly contitutes a subtank? is that what i have? is my other tank (aeotank2) a subtank?

Like others have said, the Subtank is a model of tanks. It's called a subtank because it supports Sub 1 ohm coils.. that means, coils under 1 ohm. Recently, there has been an influx of tanks that support under 1 ohm. I'll do a brief rundown on parts of tanks so you might understand how one affects the other. If you already know, then disregard it. :)

A tank usually are consisted of the following parts from top down:

Drip tip
top cap
chimney
bell cap
coil and wick housed in the chamber
deck base
airflow/air inlet
510 center pin.

The tank usually holds juice from the top cap to the deck base. The wick somehow gets a supply of ejuice from the tank.. depending on how good it gets the juice depends on how low of an ohm rating you can go. Lower ohms usually means it burns juice quicker. Ohms is a measure of how much electricity the coil resists. Lower ohms means more electricity is passed through the coil. Heating wire converts some of that into heat, which boils the ejuice. The Wick holds the juice still and up against the heating wire. Usually, the lower the ohm, the thicker the wire. The thicker the wire, the more contact it has with the wick/juice. More heat+more contact = more apor. So, you'll have to get an atomizer that supports the juice flow to the wick/coil. Also, to support lower ohms, you need a good airflow from the inlet to the drip tip. Otherwise, the vapor stays in the chamber and just gets hotter and hotter.

Getting good flavor depends on a lot of factors. The first, is the size of the chamber. Smaller chambers generally means a more concentrated vapor. This is also dependent on the airflow as well. If you have high airflow, the vapor is not as dense with the ejuice than a slower moving airflow that gives the coil and wick more time to "thicken the cloud". I can get very good flavor from a 2.0 ohm wick.coil in a CE5 clearomizer, only because it doesn't have much of an airflow. I do get more flavor from a 1.4 ohm wick/coil from my Taifun, but it also has a higher juice control and a variable air control. However, if I restrict the airflow to be the same as my CE5, the flavor will actually go down and be worse since it doesn't clear the chamber fast enough and burns the wick.

It's a balancing act for your own personal experience. If you are satisfied now, then there's no need to move to anything different. For coil building, the Kanger Subtank offers not only a good tank system with replaceable coils, but it also comes with a rebuildable section, so if you do want to play around, then you have that option. If you mess up your build, or give up for the night, you can put in one of their OCC coils and call it a night. It is a real versatile tank.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
Well i can't give a real answer to that due my preferances changes daily. ^^
But i usualy keep myself with simple micro coils around 1-1.2 ohms. Or dripper i'm running dual coils at 0.4-0.5.

But as i suggested in my edit: You realy need to learn the basics first before diving right in. :)

Lol... sounds exactly like me. :)

RhoRo

Jun 25, 2015
try a tiger coil. real easy build and my favorite for flavor.
I use, mainly, Fogger 4.1, Big Fogger, Forgger V6 and Erlkonigin. For wire I use 28 and 30 gauge Kanthal depending on what mod I'm going to use the build on. Then I use titanium, grade 1, in any build that's going on a temperature controlled mod. I use rayon for wick in everything.

Are those RBA's or RDA's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread