Subtank Mini - Burnt Taste - Please Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wikit11

Oct 2, 2015
Hi guys I'm new to the forums and in need of some urgent assistance so any help would be greatly appreciated. I purchased the Kanger Subox Mini Kit around a month ago. After using the 0.5 ohm coil for a good few weeks I began to taste some burning. I knew this would eventually happen so I set up the RBA section on the device. I used the pre built coil that comes with the kit in the goody bag (the small bag that includes the screwdriver, screws and the coil.) I inserted the wick through the coil and everything was good. However this is when my issue began. I don't think that I left it long enough for the juice to soak into the wick and when I took a hit I basically just burnt the cotton. I took the tank apart and opened the RBA section again to find that the cotton had burnt away. I then took the RBA section out and placed the 1.5 ohm coil in. Now this is my main issue; every time I vape the device I get this disgusting burnt taste that I cant get rid off. I have taken the device apart and soaked it all in hot water to try and get rid of the taste and it still wont go. Its been a couple of days now and every time I vape I taste this burnt taste and cant even taste the juice. Ive been vaping for around 4 months now and this is the first real issue that Ive encountered. As I said any assistance would be greatly appreciated because I cant even vape with the tank anymore because everything taste burnt. I'm using the 1.5 ohm coil that is completely fine and new its not burnt or anything its just the taste has stayed from when I burnt the cotton on the RBA section. Thank you very much for any help.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
First of all, Welcome to the ECF.

I noticed that you Didn't mention that you Primed the New Wick in your RBA. This is a Must.

After you put in a New Wick, or Install a New OCC Head, you Have to put a Few Drops of e-Liquid onto the Wick before you put it back together and fill your Tank.

As to removing a Burnt Taste from a Tank, you Might try Cleaning everything with Vodka. A piece of Pipe Cleaner works well to get into Small Places like the Center Tube. Or the Inside of the Air Flow Base.

wikit11

Oct 2, 2015
Thanks for your quick response!

Yeah I didn't prime it (My Mistake!) as I thought the liquid would just soak into it as the tank was full of juice.

I also don't think I used enough cotton as every time I cut a strip of it it was breaking apart in my hands. Not sure what I was doing wrong there.

If I use vodka wont everything then taste like alcohol?

Thanks again for your help.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
trouble is that once you burn some cotton wick it remains burnt.

get yourself a 10pack of rba heads so you can have spare unburnt heads ready to roll so you can experiment a bit.

2566300-3.jpg

https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10014665/2566300-replacement-rebuildable-rba-plus-coil-head-for

it takes some practice to get the wicking right.

you should probably also turn down your power I'm guessing. the wicking you did is probably too tight for the power level you are vaping.

when I do a fresh wick I usually have to turn down the power, and after a day or two it goes up 10%, then when I change wick, it's back down again.

wikit11

Oct 2, 2015
Thanks for the advice. Will I require a new RBA head as I'm not actually using that at the moment.

I'm tasting the burnt taste with the OCC coils and they aren't burnt the 1.5 is brand new. I'm sure it's the tank that's kept the burnt taste from when I burnt the cotton in the RBA and was wondering how to get rid of it. I'll try cleaning with vodka although won't that then mean everything will taste of vodka?!

Thanks.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Thanks for your quick response!

Yeah I didn't prime it (My Mistake!) as I thought the liquid would just soak into it as the tank was full of juice.

I also don't think I used enough cotton as every time I cut a strip of it it was breaking apart in my hands. Not sure what I was doing wrong there.

If I use vodka wont everything then taste like alcohol?

Thanks again for your help.

Cotton is Funny.

It Wicks Very Well if it is Completely Wet. But if you Don't Prime the Wick, it can take a Long Time for the e-Liquid to Fully Saturate the Wick at the Coil.

Not sure what type of Cotton you're using? I use Cotton Pads. Like what comes with the inside the SUBTANK Kit.

With Cotton Pads, you cut it Alone the Direction of the Fibers. And the Way you can tell which way the Fibers run is by giving the Pad a Gentle pull in one Direction. Then a Gentle pull in the Other direction.

One Way the Cotton will Easily Pull apart. The Other Direction it will Not. Make you Cut in the Direction it Doesn't want to come apart in.

---

No Problem Cleaning with Vodka. Just give everything a Good Rinse in Warm Tap Water and you will be Go-to-Go.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Thanks for the advice. Will I require a new RBA head as I'm not actually using that at the moment.

I'm tasting the burnt taste with the OCC coils and they aren't burnt the 1.5 is brand new. I'm sure it's the tank that's kept the burnt taste from when I burnt the cotton in the RBA and was wondering how to get rid of it. I'll try cleaning with vodka although won't that then mean everything will taste of vodka?!

Thanks.

I think people soak with vodka as a way of dissolving stuff; then you rinse with water to get the vodka out.

but if you got burnt taste with the 1.5 you might have burnt the 1.5; if you can see inside the 1.5 and verify that it is not burnt that that would be good; but im not so sure you can do that.

with the rba heads you could just open them up and look inside and know if your cotton is not white.

techinically you only need 1 rba head, but then what's the point; the only point is you could swap out with the other head.
if you have two rba heads then you could swap the old one out and put in a fresh one.
and if you have a 10pack then you have enough that you get the advantages of an rba head and the advantages of a swappable head also.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Okay thanks guys for the help, I'll take the tank apart and clean it with vodka and hopefully that gets rid of this awful burnt taste. The 1.5 is brand new and not burnt so I know it's the tank that's holding the burnt taste. I really do hope the vodka can get rid of the taste as I can't vape with it the way it is.

Be sure to Clean your Drip Tip really well also. If you haven't done so Already.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Yeah I cleaned all of it in hot water, I think it's the centre tube where it's clinged to the sides or something. Either way hopefully vodka does the trick.

Thanks again.

If you don't have any Pipe Cleaners, try a Twisted up piece of Paper Towel.

I'm sure You'll get it. And the Burnt taste will be Banished.

:)

Reactions: Fit_Four_Life

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Thanks dude for the help, should I fill up a small container and soak the parts in the vodka or just fill the tank and shake? Just trying to get a rough idea of how much vodka I'm going to need.

I would think if you Swabbed everything with a Q-Tip dipped in Vodka that you it would be Enough.

I dunno? Maybe putting some in the Tank and Shaking it would be a Good Call also.

wikit11

Oct 2, 2015
So I just cleaned everything with vodka, I let all the parts soak in it for a while and then took them out rinsed with warm water. I used a cotton bud to clean inside the inner tube etc. Whilst doing this I noticed that there was something next to the pin in the section you place your OCC coils into. I looked closer with a torch and I could see 3 little blacks patches, I don't know what they were but I'm guessing its when I burnt the cotton when using the RBA. I then washed this part under warm water with quite some pressure to try and move them as they wouldn't move at all. I finally was able to scratch them away and clean the pieces of burnt material out. Just got everything sorted and I'm hoping that the pieces that Ive removed were retaining the burnt taste and now they are gone it should be back to normal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread