Suggest a mod for a newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

voltaire64

Oct 16, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
About a month ago I purchased an evod clearomizer and eGo battery along with 3 tanks and a variety of ejuice. Love the unit but would like a mod for home use only. Can anyone suggest a model, I'm thinking of either a Silver Bullet by Altsmoke or a Provari. Does anyone have any experience with these? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

tearose50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Tennessee :-)
Both are nice devices and have good reputations. Personally, I'd say go for the Provari.

I'm sure you'll get lots of other suggestions as there are many nice devices available these days, but only one Provari. I bought mine 2 years ago second hand and use it almost every day and have had no issues. It is a variable voltage device, so you can change the heat level of your liquid....but it is also very well made, very reliable, very rugged......etc. etc. etc.

Make sure you study up a bit on chargers and batteries. It is highly recommended to get a quality charger and an extra battery or two, even if it means you have to save more before acquiring your chosen device.

Often people try an Ego-Twist, Spinner, or itasteIII (all about the same size as the ego battery) and use them for out and about long after going to a mod/apv.

Steve0311

Oct 19, 2013
NY, USA
Although I am brand new to vaping and only own an a Halo Triton (ego style) and G6, if I could justify the expenses I would probably buy a new Volcano Lavatube 2.5. I've been sitting around doing a lot of research on Mods because I find them very interesting, and this one seems to be simple and robust while still performing well. Plus, I really like the colors. All reviews on it have been generally favorable. The downsides that I have read are that it doesn't accept recessed tanks/attys (which means nothing to me, as I have no clue what that means), it's kind of big, and it's more expensive than a Vamo V2 through V5 which essentially do the same thing. I just know that as of right now, being a slightly impulsive buyer, I would buy Lavatube 2.5 with either a Kanger Pro Tank 2 or a Vivi Nova if I was in the market for a Mod. As of right now, as a new vaper and 5 day ex-smoker, the Halo Triton is doing everything I need it to do. Don't know if that helps at all.

Altaire Versailles

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2013
Detroit MI
Id say a Vamo. Its the cheapest, I think the V2 is down to like 23 bucks now, does the same as everything else. People make it sound like theres some huge difference between Vamos or SVD and provaris or what have you, there just isnt. They all heat up the coil and make vapor come out, they all do VW. I had a provari, sold it a couple weeks later because it did the same exact thing my vamo did, I was just wasting another 180 bucks for a name. I wouldnt spend all that money buying a high end mod especially for a first because if you drop it or tear it up doing something newbish youre gonna be ......!

Last edited:

Wmmeese

Dedicated Lurker
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
St Louis
For a first mod, I would buy something that has both variable voltage and the ability to read atomizer resistance. There are many devices available that will do the job, but if you want one that will be with you a year from now, you get what you pay for. If you want rugged and dependable then consider the Provari. I think most people that stay with ecigs for long end up there eventually. I would not recommend a mechanical as you first mod as you will have to build your own coils, thus the need for a resistance checker. If you are not averse to a box mod, then consider an MVP 2.0. Think about the type of topper you are leaning towards, the Provari does not accept Ego threads, but you can get an adapter to cover that for a few bucks. From my experience, I have both and find myself reaching for the Provari twice as often as the MPV.

brianyamagata

Jan 19, 2012
La Jolla, CA
There's so many devices out there, that it's rather difficult to narrow it down to just one. Being that you want it for home use only, that does help quite a bit though. As others have suggested, Provari's are of great quality, but you are really paying for a US made device. The Vamo, Lavatube, SVD, etc etc all do the same thing, which is allow you to vape at varying volts/watts to allow you to cater your vaping output per juice, peripheral (carto, tank, etc). So it really comes down to whether or not you want to pay a premium for US made (my Vamo has been used and abused for almost a year, and has never failed me; it's hard for me to say that the Provari is of superior quality).

That being said, I would suggest you chose a device based on the features you like. Do you want more vaping flexibility? Go with a variable voltage/wattage mod (or a static mod, ie Silver Bullet, with the Kick to control volts). Do you want an awesome, custom built mod? Go with something like the Reo (which is also cool because it allows you to vape directly from your juice bottle). Or maybe you want a mechanical mod, that will allow you to use different size batteries. The point is that the options are getting infinite, and the best thing to do is try one that you have looked into and that seems like it would do what you want it to do.

Vaping has become more than just a means of quitting cigarettes for many; it's a hobby. Enjoy it!

LEE9476

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2013
Monson, MA, USA
I'll throw in another suggestion for the zmax, I have the v3 and its been great to me. Nice and flexible for anything I want to put on it and I can use different batteries depending on where I'm going, whether it needs to fit in my pocket, if I want all day battery life, etc. It's also a great looking apv and fells nice and solid. I haven't had an issue with it yet

Provari is definitely a great mod. For the price IMO, I'd say the iTaste 134 is better. Not only is it selling online for a little over half the price of the Provari, but it's an eye-catching piece that will get many conversations started. It is modeled after the barrel of a m134 mini gun. And it's VW. And it comes with a tank that works great for utilizing the VW feature.

voltaire64

Oct 16, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Provari is definitely a great mod. For the price IMO, I'd say the iTaste 134 is better. Not only is it selling online for a little over half the price of the Provari, but it's an eye-catching piece that will get many conversations started. It is modeled after the barrel of a m134 mini gun. And it's VW. And it comes with a tank that works great for utilizing the VW feature.

I like the look of this unit but am too much of a new user that I wouldn't know what to order with the device, does it come with a kit? Any suggestions as to what I should buy with it (besides juice)?

danxx6

Oct 17, 2013
Manchester
I'm looking at exactly the same thing at the minute. Being fairly new into vaping I want to get my first mod. I use ego w EVOD's in general when i'm out and about etc.

The provari is a bit out of my price range, it'd be nice to have looking at all the reviews, but I think i've finally settled for the vamo v5. It was a toss up between the vamo or zmax :)

Let us know how it goes

Harleybarbie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2009
Wonderland
I'd go for an Innokin MVP 2.0!
Here's my 2 cents
1. No need for 18650 or any of those batteries
2. MVP battery lasts for days yes I said DAYS!
3. It's easy to carry the size of a cell phone or pack of ciggys
4. It can be charged with its own cord micro charger and iPhone frog
5. It's VV & VW
6. You can pick one up now for less than $50 (101 Vape they are $39.99)

I ordered mine yesterday!
zytyva6y.jpg

Sent from my iThingy using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread