TFA Flavours not tasting quite right, even with additives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone!

So i recently bought a bunch of flavours from TFA, and have been mixing them with little success. I read peoples recipes from ...................., and try to find TFA flavours. When i do, and i mix them, I find they taste really harsh a lot of the time. I had gotten 10ml of some apple flavour, mixed at 12%, tasted amazing, I do that with ANY of my apple flavours, and they taste like garbage.

I trust that TFA has good flavours, I'm just wondering if i'm doing something wrong :S? I do a 70% vg mix. I have 2 cana mods, so i've done low-watt vaping, and i also have a panzer and a nemesis, plus a ton of RDAs. So it's not the device or the heat I assume.

I have additives including Malic acid, sucralose, ethyl maltol, Tetra-methy-pyrazine, menthol, and gardenol. I'm interested specifically in my apple vapes (TFA flavours: Green apple, Apple, Granny Smith, Candy Apple).

I just like my apples to be sweet, and "candy like", with an easy feeling going down. Is that too much to ask for :'(

BigLungs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2012
Champaign, Illinois
Hey everyone!

So i recently bought a bunch of flavours from TFA, and have been mixing them with little success. I read peoples recipes from ...................., and try to find TFA flavours. When i do, and i mix them, I find they taste really harsh a lot of the time. I had gotten 10ml of some apple flavour, mixed at 12%, tasted amazing, I do that with ANY of my apple flavours, and they taste like garbage.

I trust that TFA has good flavours, I'm just wondering if i'm doing something wrong :S? I do a 70% vg mix. I have 2 cana mods, so i've done low-watt vaping, and i also have a panzer and a nemesis, plus a ton of RDAs. So it's not the device or the heat I assume.

I have additives including Malic acid, sucralose, ethyl maltol, Tetra-methy-pyrazine, menthol, and gardenol. I'm interested specifically in my apple vapes (TFA flavours: Green apple, Apple, Granny Smith, Candy Apple).

I just like my apples to be sweet, and "candy like", with an easy feeling going down. Is that too much to ask for :'(

DIY is all about trial and error. There is no "set percentage", every flavor is going to be different. Before additives you NEED to get the flavor figured out by itself first, then you can tweak it little by little with additives.

I really hope you are using a juice calculator and not just dumping stuff in a bottle. I am not going to judge you by your post count, but I will say that you need to read read read read, and then read some more before jumping into DIY. If you don't know what you are doing you could make yourself really sick or worse.

You already found an apple flavor you do like, then why not stick with it?
I use nothing but TFA flavors(with the exception of one flavor, my lomonade), but I do not use additives. Just never found the need to. If I want a flavor to be sweeter then I add a touch of a sweeter flavor to it instead of using sweetener. If I want a sour touch to my flavor then I add a little lemonade to it etc etc.

p7willm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2014
Lansdale, PA, USA
Taste also differs among people. I like candy like cherry and hate tobacco. So if I come across a flavor that is supposed to be like fresh cherries I will probably hate it.

Getting a juice you like is a lot more than finding a flavor you like from TFA and adding it to PG, VG, and nic. You need to start simply with some single flavors and decide what might go well together. A complex juice, like apple pie, misth start off with 2 or 3 apple flavors. Then a crust flavor. A hint of cinnamon. A touch of lemon to hide in the background. A recipee like that could take months to get just right. It might be great with one apple at 6% and the other at 4% but not as good with both at 5%.

For you try a tiny bit of custard. That will add some sweet, smooth it out, and who doesn't like custard? You might think this tastes like s..t or it's just what you are looking for. sometimes it's obvious and some times it makes no sense what tastes good.

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
I started out w/ TFA because they seemed to be a standard a few years ago... lately if you look at DIY recipes, lots of vapers are using other brands.

I have all the charts that give avg % used for each flavor from different brands. +1

I am mostly into fruits and never liked tobacco flavors so that's my bias, but I found that for fruits the only ones I really like from TFA are Juicey Peach, and some of their Melon flavors.

For fruit flavors I use Hangsens, or Inawera.

Certain more exotic fruits like Lychee, which is my favorite fruit base, I use FlavourArt (also Passion Fruit), but I find you can't go wrong with Hangsens fruits in general and the % are about 3 to 5% (vs Capella 8 to 15%...)

Fruit concentrates in general, don't need much steeping, and as for additives like sweeteners, forget it; they tend to diminish flavor in a day or two. The only additives that I use are 10% distilled water and some saline solution to my VG nic base.

The only additive I use almost always, is a good Cream concentrate to mellow and smooth out the flavors.
TFA Sweet Cream is my favorite.

If you are trying to match a professional fruit ejuice, which imo seems to have some advanced level skill behind it, I will make a DIY base of a good fruit, get as close as i can, and then add about 20 - 25% of the store-bought to save $.

I've also learned (from experts here, and my own trials) that VG is better than PG; it just takes a little longer to steep because its so thick.

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
I forgot to mention you have to be careful with TFA Sweet Cream; too much and imo it tastes like a buttery cafe type of flavor... but something about it with just the right amount, adds to the fruit experience; it has body.

I also use Vienna Cream from FA, but haven't figured it out enough ... it works though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread