The cotton in my coil keeps getting greyish black

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rkdann

Aug 9, 2015
London Ontario Canada
Hey, first post here. I just started vaping not to long ago, I'm using an istick 30w with an isub g tank and the cotton in my coil gets dark grey/black within a couple days of using it, I noticed it happened to my first one and the guy at my local shop said it was burnt and to use a new one, so I put in a new one and it turned black too. My vape doesn't taste burnt or anything but somtimes my vapor does feel warm, mind u I'm only vaping at 20w, so I'm wondering if there could be somthing wrong with my mod or my tank or if I'm doing somthing wrong or if this is normal.

Thanks,

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
1) Being up at 20watts could affect things, if it is not tasting burnt and it is your sweet spot, by all means keep at it.
2) 2nd thing that affects coil wicking longevity is how sweet the liquid is, custards, cereals, vanillas, chocolates, bakery, savory, some not all sweet fruits will suffer from this
3) Thickness of your liquid, thicker the liquid is, longer it takes to wick into the coil, if you are chain vaping thicker liquids your coils will burn out faster, thicker liquids I generally 3-5 puffs, set it aside to allow the wick to soak and recover, thinner liquids I'll take more puffs before laying the vape aside or switching to another unit to let the first unit catch up
4) Color of your liquid, the more clear and lighter the color of a liquid, less likely it will darken a coil or wick, though the darker liquids like tobaccos, chocolates, coffees, dark colored fruits, etc will carbonize the colorings quickly and muck up a coil real fast
5) NET (Naturally Extracted Tobacco Alkaloids) aka WTA (Whole Tobacco Alkaloid) liquids, with the extra alkaloids extracted from tobacco leaf to make these liquids, that extra particulate like above in #4 carbonize and gunk up coils quickly

hth as to where to look at, after wattage/voltage/temperature of the coil when firing, everything else is in the liquids.

Rkdann

Aug 9, 2015
London Ontario Canada
There are basically two things causing darkening. One is sweetener, the other is nicotine. Both darken with heat and is totally normal. Sweeteners will also junk up your coils faster, but you'll learn what juices you use that cause it to happen faster.
yea, im just assuming its the sweetness, i use 0 nicotine but every juice i have is really sweet like oh my custard, twelve mokeys tropika, and funk daddy punch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread