To those who are/have served: Thank You!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sierrabravo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2010
MA/NH Border
***I am borrowing this concept from a local radio show I listen to... So I can't take credit for it...***

If you see anyone who is serving or has served in the armed forces, even if you don't know them personally, approach them, offer to shake their hand, and say "Thank You".

It's as simple as that.

If you have anyone you would like to thank in this thread, please do.
But please don't make this political, that's not what this is for!

I would like to start: To anyone in the ECF community who has served and to those who are serving right now, I want to thank you.

gramakittycat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2009
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
A few years back I was on a local city bus route where the turn-a-round point was at the local VA hospital complex.An elderly gentleman climbed aboard ,paid his fare then seated himself.He had a quiet dignity about him yet something ,I don't know what,but I was compeled to aproach him and extend my hand as I said "Sir I thank you for your service and I'd like to shake your hand".His eyes met mine as he too extended his hand and grasped it firmly.He did'nt say a word but for that moment his eyes showed a thousand hells he had been through.Then his back straightened and his shoulders squared.As I stepped off the bus I glanced back ; he was looking at me and for a split second a smile flitted across his lips. i meet alot of people in my life but I still picture ths man and will never forget the story told in his eyes. Thank you for letting me share this,Have a happy , safe4th!

afrazier5

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
My neighbor's son (who is also a good friend) serves and was just deployed 2 weeks ago. He's still stateside in training/prep but will be going over to Afghanistan soon. We hosted a huge BBQ in his honor for family and friends prior to his deployment. He had so many people show up and was so grateful to us for the gesture. I pulled him aside after it was over and told him to stop thanking us for the gesture and that it was the least he could do for putting his life on the line for US.

I've never been the type to step up to a total stranger and do what Grama did but always make it a point to acknowledge all service men I see through a wave, nod, etc. Any positive gesture is a good one and I for one am highly grateful for all our service men and women serving in the armed services - active or veteran.

UntamedRose

PV Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2010
Homeish now
When I was 15, I went with my BFF and her grandparents to a VFW reunion. Her grandfather was one of the organizers, so we were helping him out.
I was sitting in the main lobby of the hotel, with a list of every one that was suppose to be there. Sign them in give them information ect.

When a WW2 vet, came in and sat in the chair next to me. I helped get him signed in..and then he asked to look at the list. As he looks it over he sighs...."Less and less of us each year."
I mumble something about being sorry that his friends are passing away...and he went silent.

He finally says..."No, it will be a sad when the VFW gains more members"

idk if he was around for it but I kinda hope he wasnt. VFW as far to many young members again.

Last edited:

pchela

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2010
The only blue county in Texas!
Thanks to my dad and all of the people I grew up around who served 20+ years (even if it was only the "cold war"), thanks to all who have served in the past and thanks to all of the brave men and women who are serving today and putting their own lives at risk to keep our country free. I deeply appreciate our protectors.

phoenixfire

ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2011
Southeast Mo.
I stayed afay from this thread because I knew it fould bring a tear to my eyes and it did, but when I read this one I had to post this.;-(
I grew up at yhe local VFW, my dad was commander and mom was presedent of the auxrillary. Pretty much all of the members then are gone now. Of three boys, all who served in the navy, only one became eligable to join thank the gods that he did come home to join. The VFW is the one organzation that would be happy to fade away because there were no new eligable members!

When I was 15, I went with my BFF and her grandparents to a VFW reunion. Her grandfather was one of the organizers, so we were helping him out.
I was sitting in the main lobby of the hotel, with a list of every one that was suppose to be there. Sign them in give them information ect.

When a WW2 vet, came in and sat in the chair next to me. I helped get him signed in..and then he asked to look at the list. As he looks it over he sighs...."Less and less of us each year."
I mumble something about being sorry that his friends are passing away...and he went silent.

He finally says..."No, it will be a sad when the VFW gains more members"

idk if he was around for it but I kinda hope he wasnt. VFW as far to many young members again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread