Trying Something Different, I think? Lemme know what you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobmckeone

Oct 23, 2013
Nashville
Well, I've been playing with box mods for a while now, and I want to try something with a battery that I do not remove. That way I can eliminate doors and hinges completely. I wanted to make a custom wooden box (I already have the wood) using these parts. Let me know what you think!

Also, how would I solder connections to this battery? The hardcases I wanted to use are out of stock/overpriced everywhere I look. My next mod after this will probably be a dna30 or something regulated.

But, components:

510 Connection:
Fatdaddyvapes Mechanical Mod Complete 510 Thread Repair Insert Kits | eBay

Switch:
16mm Anti Vandal Momentary Stainless Steel Metal Push Button Switch Raised Top | eBay

Battery:
Turnigy 5000mAh 1S 20C Lipoly (Single Cell) (USA Warehouse)

Charging Port:
http://www.amazon.com/Lithium-Battery-Charging-Charger-Module/dp/B00AUDQWXQ?tag=e04ed-20

Anyone have any experience wiring/soldering these types of batteries? And, how would I wire the charger in there?
Is wiring the charger just like wiring to my switch/510 connector, but in a different direction?

Edit: I will be using 16g copper wiring for the most of it, will that suffice?

Rv6aGH6.png

Last edited:

Visus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
United States
If your doing subs that switch is only rated to 3A.

Someone found a switch thats only 5 bucks and almost identical to your switch its only 2A but if you add a mosfet on either switch it will be safest option..
look up mechanical mosfets on youtube, they have some tutorials on how to wire them and which one works.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/battery-mods/537723-switch-question.html

jacobmckeone

Oct 23, 2013
Nashville
If your doing subs that switch is only rated to 3A.

Someone found a switch thats only 5 bucks and almost identical to your switch its only 2A but if you add a mosfet on either switch it will be safest option..
look up mechanical mosfets on youtube, they have some tutorials on how to wire them and which one works.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/battery-mods/537723-switch-question.html

I plan on running 1.5-2 ohm coils, the 3a limitation for the switch will be no problem. I'm more concerned with the wiring for the charger, and how hard it is to solder to those kind of battery terminals. Thank you for the post!

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
Soldering li-po batteries with tabs...

How to Solder LiPo Tabs | eHow

Wiring charger...the link you posted for the charger shows the wiring....charger + to battery + and charger - to battery -

16 gauge wire is way plenty for the coils you will be using...

From the physical size of the battery you are going to have a big mod....good luck....

jacobmckeone

Oct 23, 2013
Nashville
Soldering li-po batteries with tabs...

How to Solder LiPo Tabs | eHow

Wiring charger...the link you posted for the charger shows the wiring....charger + to battery + and charger - to battery -

16 gauge wire is way plenty for the coils you will be using...

From the physical size of the battery you are going to have a big mod....good luck....

Gotcha, thank you! And I planned on maybe finding a shorter battery that's thicker. Not really concerned with size, I need a work setup to leave here that needs no maintenance. But that charger will charge a LiPo battery? Thank you again. Essentially soldering the tabs is the same as soldering anything else. Clean, prep, solder quickly. Would it be bad if I were to quench the tabs? I know in welding that makes your welds brittle, but I do not know the implications of quenching a solder joint. I don't have the greatest solder iron in the world so it may take a few to heat up the tab, depending on the thickness of said tab. I know that when I solder my 1/16 x 3/4 x 1 1/2" copper battery contacts it takes about 3 minutes to heat up properly.

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
Best to apply solder (tinning) to the wire and to the battery tabs first and then solder the wire to the tab...use no more heat than necessary.... heat is not good for the battery...quenching not needed nor recommended on batteries....a good soldering iron is a must....

If you are going to use a different battery try to find one with wire leads already attached....

Last edited:

jacobmckeone

Oct 23, 2013
Nashville
Best to apply solder (tinning) to the wire and to the battery tabs first and then solder the wire to the tab...use no more heat than necessary.... heat is not good for the battery...quenching not needed nor recommended on batteries....a good soldering iron is a must....

If you are going to use a different battery try to find one with wire leads already attached....

Having a hard time finding a battery with the mah/c rating I want. Any places besides hobby king?

http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-25c-6000-1s2p-hardcase.html

I'll use that battery, just rip it out of the case. And changing my 510 from the fatdaddy to the chi you clone top cap!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread