Two very noobish questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve0311

Oct 19, 2013
NY, USA
Hello folks, still very new to vaping and these forums as well, so forgive me if these questions seem very noobish or if they have already been answered (a search didn't turn up anything).

First Question: Is it possible to over-charge and thus damage or destroy e-cig batteries? Specifically, I have 2 650 mah Halo Triton batteries (ego style) and I have several AW IMR 18650 and 18350 batteries that I can charge on an XTAR WP2. Just wondering if these batteries or ones like them have overcharge protection. The only time I ever seem to get to charge this stuff is at night when I go to sleep, so they will sit there for a good 7 hours on most nights.

Second Question: I just got my first dripping atomizers (3.0 ohm from Volcano for my new Lavatube 2.5) and I have more coming in from smartvapes.com with are 3.0 and 1.8 ohm I believe. I've never used these before, so I want to know how I can clean these to get rid of the primer fluid and also in case I want to use a different juice on the same atomizer. Is there a special cleaning method or can I run these under water and then gently towel dry? Do I just dry burn them until everything is burned off (seems like the wrong thing to do)

Thanks for any help!

Steam Turbine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Montreal Quebec Canada
Question #1: The AW IRM battery themselves do not have any form of protection whatsoever but your XTAR charger does. The XTAR will stop charging them when they reach 4.2 volts. It is always a good idea to check if they are indeed at 4.2 volts when they come out of the charger, if they are lower or higher, your batteries could be damaged or there is something wrong with the charger. Same thing with your "eGo's" (although I think that they actually contain electronic protection) use them with the proper charger and the charge will stop once they reach 4.2 volts.

Avoid cheap "dumb" chargers as you can seriously damage your batteries and/or charger.

Question #2: As for your dripping atty's, I'll leave that for somebody who are familiar with them. I am not.

EDIT: It is not a good idea to leave your battery unatended while they are being charged (although everybody does it)

Last edited:

Enoch777

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2013
Midwest, USA
Do I just dry burn them until everything is burned off (seems like the wrong thing to do)

You can remove the primer fluid by wadding up a tissue and blowing (hard) through the open end with tissue around the threads. Do this several times until it no longer leaves wet spots on the napkin.

Here's an in-depth guide: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ecf-library/133998-how-fix-bad-taste-new-atomizers.html

I've used the centrifuge method for cleaning liquid out of a cartomizer and it works surprisingly well.

Cleaning is a bit different. I think the best way to do this would be to put them in a shot glass/container and pour in vodka or PGA. You want cheap stuff that is straight alcohol, no flavor or added sugar. Let it sit for 1 to 6 hours, then set them upside down with battery connection up on some towels and let air dry for 24 hours or so.

Dry burning is great, I use this method on my RDA to clean the coil and it works very well. However I can visually see the coil and confirm that no liquid is collected on the deck by cleaning it by hand. The pre-built drippers are down in there and you can't exactly confirm that everything is gone, so you may not get a perfect clean. I don't see any reason why dry burning wouldn't work, though, but removing any excess liquid caught in the bottom is another story.

Just make sure you can visually see the coil while you dry burn. It helps to gauge how hot the coil is getting because you *can* pop an atty by liberally applying this technique. Pulse fire until it gets red, then stop. If you keep pressing it while it's red hot you run the risk of breaking it.

Last edited:

madqatter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2013
Virginia
Is it possible to over-charge and thus damage or destroy e-cig batteries?
This was ably answered above, but just to reiterate: Even with a good charger, it's a good practice to personally check your batteries for overcharge after you've taken them off the charger and rested them. Even a good charger could fail. I think all mod owners, not just mech owners, should have a multicharger and use it. :)

The only time I ever seem to get to charge this stuff is at night when I go to sleep, so they will sit there for a good 7 hours on most nights.
This is, practically speaking, charging unattended. I would never recommend charging batteries unattended.

Here are some good resources for info about mod batteries:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...eeper-understanding-mod-batteries-part-i.html
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...eper-understanding-mod-batteries-part-ii.html
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ecf-library/129569-rechargeable-batteries.html

I just got my first dripping atomizers.... I've never used these before, so I want to know how I can clean these to get rid of the primer fluid and also in case I want to use a different juice on the same atomizer.
Check out the Ocelot's guide to dripping! :thumb:

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
First Question: Is it possible to over-charge and thus damage or destroy e-cig batteries? Specifically, I have 2 650 mah Halo Triton batteries (ego style) and I have several AW IMR 18650 and 18350 batteries that I can charge on an XTAR WP2. Just wondering if these batteries or ones like them have overcharge protection. The only time I ever seem to get to charge this stuff is at night when I go to sleep, so they will sit there for a good 7 hours on most nights.

You can buy the very best batteries and chargers and there's still no full proof guarantee they won't fail. Best to never overcharge or leave batteries charging unattended. Bad's batt Blogs posted by madqatter are an excellent read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread