Typical questions from a newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jordiebugg

May 8, 2015
Texas
Hello everyone!

I'm new here obviously and I'm looking to getting into vaping. I've notice a lot of people said they hated those starter kits they get when they first jump into vaping. I'm not the type to waste money on something that's if-y so I just wanted to figure out what the best thing to start with is.

I want to know what the best online stores are for ordering e-liquids and vape pens/e-cig/cigalike/eGo/etc are since I live in the middle of nowhere and online is basically my only choice. I'm a "social smoker", maybe only a few (5-6) analogs a month (full flavor), so I was thinking of starting with very very low nicotine if any at all. I'm more interested in the flavoring options e-liquids offer if that makes any difference. As of now, I don't have a preference over PG vs VG in the liquids because I've never tried any. I also want something with low resistance unless there is a reason a newbie shouldn't start with LR.

I've done a fair bit of research but I want to hear directly from someone who is experienced in vaping where the best place to start is. Should I buy a starter kit? Should I find a place to customize my own? Should I start with LR? 20/80 for the liquid? So many options! Help!!

Side note: I've been looking into the VaporFi Platium Pro Starter Kit from VaporFi.com. The only thing is, it is a starter kit and I'm weary about starter kits after reading a few forums. Plus I haven't heard any mention of VaporFi.com by anyone here so far.

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated :D It's great to be here!

Shirtbloke

ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2014
UK
That site is terrible value - almost $50 for an Evod is out of order. As suggested an Eleaf Istick is a good starter - the battery will last you all day even for a fairly heavy vaper - and that's an important point for a beginner - it saves you having to carry spare batteries with you or worrying about batteries running out. They're also a passthrough which means you can be recharging while you're sat at your computer and vape at the same time. Pair it with an Eleaf GS Air tank (the two are designed to work together) and you'll likely be good for all day for less than the price of that Evod.

Reactions: Jordiebugg

Jordiebugg

May 8, 2015
Texas
I was looking through and thought that was a bit over priced but as I said before I wasn't sure why everyone was so against the starter kits. I see what you're talking about with the price of the battery and the clear not adding up to $48. Thank you for the clarification! Any recommendations for e-juice? Or is it pretty much a hit or miss where ever you go?

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA

MasteroftheVape

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2014
Columbia, IL, USA
Juice is all a matter of opinion. If you have a vape shop around I would suggest sampling there to start to find what kind you like. Like I love coffee, I hate coffee vapes, you won't know till you try. Way back before I started making my own juice I bought from mt. Baker vapor a lot. They had a good value on their juice, really cheap for decent quality, but I haven't bought juice in years so it may all be different now.

Jordiebugg

May 8, 2015
Texas
if you wanted a ego style this a better setup
Aspire Premium Starter Kit - $56.95 - WORLDofVAPE
I wouldn't say I'm specifically looking for an ego style, it just happened to be the first one I stumbled upon. I'm looking for something that'll give me lots of vapor with a great taste. Whether it be Eleaf istick with a gs airtank or the aspire kit or another reccomendation. The vape shops around my area are barely helpful and all the want to do is push a ego stick in my face, not tell me anything about it, and push me out the door. I'll definitely look into your reccomendation. Thank you! :)

Jordiebugg

May 8, 2015
Texas
hi Jordie. I'd recommend a road trip to find a vape shop to sample juices and flavors. You'll probably spend less on the road trip than you will in the "hit and miss" trial. You could also order "sample packs" from some of the juice vendors. Check these links:

FORUM SUPPLIERS - ECF Forum Suppliers | E-Cigarette Forum
COUPONS - Stores - ECF E-Cigarette Coupons

DEALS and STEALS - Deals and Steals | E-Cigarette Forum (go to last page)
Thank you!! I will most definitely check those out!! :)

Jordiebugg

May 8, 2015
Texas
Juice is all a matter of opinion. If you have a vape shop around I would suggest sampling there to start to find what kind you like. Like I love coffee, I hate coffee vapes, you won't know till you try. Way back before I started making my own juice I bought from mt. Baker vapor a lot. They had a good value on their juice, really cheap for decent quality, but I haven't bought juice in years so it may all be different now.
Ahh okay. I'm going to Houston soon so I'm sure I can find a decent vape shop for samples. Thank you for the suggestion!

Is any one here from around Houston? Any good vape shops you would reccomend?

Tagi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2014
Dallas Texas
I would stay away from any B&M starter kits. A good set up that has a good range would be a Istick 30watt with a Subtank mini.

The subtank comes with both a .5 and 1.2 coil in addition to a RBA deck. You could start with using the 1.2 coils, and if you feel the need for cloudage go to the .5 coils. Then if you feel the urge to learn how to build your own coils it has the RBA deck. Very versatile set up.

Jordiebugg

May 8, 2015
Texas
That site is terrible value - almost $50 for an Evod is out of order. As suggested an Eleaf Istick is a good starter - the battery will last you all day even for a fairly heavy vaper - and that's an important point for a beginner - it saves you having to carry spare batteries with you or worrying about batteries running out. They're also a passthrough which means you can be recharging while you're sat at your computer and vape at the same time. Pair it with an Eleaf GS Air tank (the two are designed to work together) and you'll likely be good for all day for less than the price of that Evod.
Thank you for the suggestion! Now what if I start to plateau with using this one? Would it be easy to upgrade or would I buy a whole new set up?

Jordiebugg

May 8, 2015
Texas
I would stay away from any B&M starter kits. A good set up that has a good range would be a Istick 30watt with a Subtank mini.

The subtank comes with both a .5 and 1.2 coil in addition to a RBA deck. You could start with using the 1.2 coils, and if you feel the need for cloudage go to the .5 coils. Then if you feel the urge to learn how to build your own coils it has the RBA deck. Very versatile set up.
Exactly what I was hoping for!! Something versatile :) thank you for the input!! I really appreciate it!

Shirtbloke

ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2014
UK
Thank you for the suggestion! Now what if I start to plateau with using this one? Would it be easy to upgrade or would I buy a whole new set up?

Isticks can be had in 10 Watts, 20 Watts, 30 Watts and 50 Watts form - the 10 watts is a bit small, the 20 and 30 have the same battery but the 30 can fire a lower ohm tank (0.4) and the 50 has twice the battery and can fire an ever lower ohms (0.2) if you want to go cloud chasing. The GS air tank will work on any from the 20 up. Buy the best you can afford.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
hi Jordie. I'd recommend a road trip to find a vape shop to sample juices and flavors. You'll probably spend less on the road trip than you will in the "hit and miss" trial. You could also order "sample packs" from some of the juice vendors. Check these links:

FORUM SUPPLIERS - ECF Forum Suppliers | E-Cigarette Forum
COUPONS - Stores - ECF E-Cigarette Coupons

DEALS and STEALS - Deals and Steals | E-Cigarette Forum (go to last page)

Strongly agree with this and would add:

Pick out several juices you think you like and buy the small bottles to try at home and ask if they ship. I learned the hard way, thinking a flavor was pretty good when tasting, but not finding it nearly as appealing at home hitting it with my set-up for several hours, especially if adding nicotine. After a good testing at home, have them ship you bigger bottles of what works. I live 100 miles from my favorite shops that do ship, but get there occasionally and stock up when I do.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I've been vaping for over 3 years. Like you, I had no vape stores nearby to see or try out the gear and had to order online. So you can say that I learned from experience, trial & error.

My favorite online vape stores were AltSmoke, My Vapor Store, and Discount Vapors. They are reputable and prices are very reasonable. They also back their products.

Eliquids will be difficult. What I like you may not. Some places offer sample packs to try small amounts at minimal costs. Once you find what you like, you can order a larger bottle next time. Finding the right flavor is more important than the gear you use.

Order the appropriate strength of nicotine. 2 ppd = 24 mg. 1 1/2 ppd = 18 mg. 1 ppd = 12 mg. 1/2 ppd = 6 mg. When I first ordered I got 24 mg and was only a 1 ppd smoker ... it was way too harsh for me to vape.

Look over my blog to help with your education and research: Baditude's Blog

Jordiebugg

May 8, 2015
Texas
Strongly agree with this and would add:

Pick out several juices you think you like and buy the small bottles to try at home and ask if they ship. I learned the hard way, thinking a flavor was pretty good when tasting, but not finding it nearly as appealing at home hitting it with my set-up for several hours, especially if adding nicotine. After a good testing at home, have them ship you bigger bottles of what works. I live 100 miles from my favorite shops that do ship, but get there occasionally and stock up when I do.
That's a good idea. I never thought about not liking the flavor after using it for a few hours. Thank you for the advice :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread