Upgrading from KangerTech to Innokin - Have a Few Questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

IndigoChild

ECF Veteran
May 10, 2014
Sacramento, California, USA
So, I've been using nothing more than a basic Kanger EVOD setup since I started vaping a couple months ago. Actually, I did buy a Protank 2 Mini, as the tanks that come in that kit get nasty and leaky pretty quickly. Anyway, I decided to upgrade to something better (without upgrading to say, the best and most expensive and complicated product on the market nor spending more than about $50 tops) and decided to go with an Innokin product. I bought the iTaste CLK. I don't know if this was a smart buy or not - I really should've asked on here before buying it, but it's too late now - it's coming in the mail on Friday along with an extra 1280 battery that they just made to accompany this unit - the battery it comes with is 800. Anyway, I've got a few questions...

It appears that instead of just changing a coil, you change the entire top piece, but maybe I'm wrong/confused. To be honest, I'm not sure exactly what a clearomizer even is vs. just, say, a pyrex tank, like the one I've been using. If that's the case, does that mean you throw away the whole top piece every time you need to put a new coil in? And, how long do these things last compared to coils? It says it takes, "Innokin iClear 16D bottom dual coil clearomizer." The only place I've found to buy those specific replacements is here: Innokin iClear 16 Dual Coil Clearomizer I hope this is the right one... So part of this upgrade, for me, is the VV. Can someone explain how that works/what the point of it is? I'm not a math/science person, so if the reason it's obvious, it's not obvious to me, lol - I was an English, Foreign Language, Literature type of person in school. So, what happens when you turn the voltage up or down? Does it produce more vapor and/or use more or less battery power? Lastly, I was looking at the iTaste MVP and was just wondering about the shape and style - why is it shaped like a box? Is there something in there or is it just a giant, square-shaped battery? Oh yeah, can you put tank cracking fluids inside this type of top piece or will I have to save those for my pyrex tank? Sorry for so many questions! I'm still new to this... Here are three pictures of the CLK, for anyone who's never seen it before...

http://cdn3.volusion.com/pnhwe.bmygz/v/vspfiles/photos/INK-CLKK-4.jpg?1401871367

http://www.fairy-gift.com/images/innokin-itaste-clk (1).jpg
http://www.misthub.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/innokin-itaste-clk-colors.jpg

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
If you had asked prior I would have suggested either the itaste vv v3 or the MVP 2 :p. Variable voltage regulates the amount of power that goes to the coil. The coils resistance with the amount of voltage will dictate how much wattage (heat) is at the coil....Square the volts of the circuit and divide the figure by the ohms in the circuit. Its a way to fine tune your vape experience.
A good rule of thumb in variable voltage is to go around 2 volts over the resistance number. For example a 1.8 ohm coil, you would use 3.8 volts etc..

The itaste vv v3 and MVP 2 have variable wattage modes, which is a bit more user friendly for beginners. With voltage, any variance in coil resistance (there always is in premade coil heads, I get anywhere from 1.4 to 1.7 from the 1.5 labeled coils) will in some cases drastically change the vape experience. With variable wattage modes, the battery unit changes voltage automatically to keep you at your selected wattage.
I can't say anything about the clearos you ordered as I have never used them, but the replacement attys should be the same basic idea as the kanger ones, just a screw in head

spaceballsrules

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2011
North Carolina, USA
As a liberal arts person, be ready to be indoctrinated into the world of electrical engineering. There is only one law to follow, and that is Ohm's Law. Look it up...

As far as I can tell, the CLK is just a basic VV battery, similar to the eGo Twist, Vision Spinner, EVOD VV, etc. but with passthrough capability (you can vape it while it is charging).

The CLK comes with the iClear 16D clearomizer, which has replaceable coils, just like the EVOD and PT2 Mini clearos you already have. These are the coil heads - Atomizer Head for Innokin iClear16B, iClear16D

Here is the best price I can find on the heads at a reputable vendor. It says 16B, but they will also fit in the 16D. $9 for 5 heads - Innokin iClear 16b Dual Coil Replacements - 5 Pack - 1.5ohm

DO NOT put tank cracking juice in a plastic tank, including the iClear 16D. Save those juices for your PT2 Mini or other Pyrex tanks.

VV, or variable voltage, allows you to fine tune your vape. Higher voltage means a hotter coil. Changing the voltage up or down will produce different amounts of vapor and flavor. Just set it to whatever you prefer the most. Also, the higher the voltage, the higher the power consumption, and thus the higher the drain on the battery.

The iTaste MVP is stuffed full of battery and guts, as well as being a feature rich device. The box shape is a popular option in the vaping world. Had you come to ECF before buying, you would have probably opted for the MVP instead of the CLK. It's probably the most recommended device on ECF, for newbs and vets alike. Here is a thread from elsewhere that has lots of gory pics of what the inside of the MVP looks like. Itaste MVP charging Problem repair | ALL ABOUT E-CIGARETTES UK

If you are interested in buying an MVP 2.0, the best place is 101Vape. Great price from a great vendor. It's where I got mine. Innokin iTaste MVP V2.0 - 101 Vape

Here is a nice little review of the iTaste CLK that you may find useful...

Last edited:

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
TX, USA
You don't need to learn ohms law for these regulated devices. Sure it can be helpful but the basic rule of thumb is start low, take a few vapes, turn it up a bit, and repeat. When it starts to Taste burnt, turn it down, and give it a few puffs without pressing the fire button to re wet your coil and get rid of the burnt taste.

MVP is a great device. Yeah, it's brick like, but it's durable with great battery life and a great value for $40.

I'm not familiar with your new tanks but some tanks do come as throw always. I agree this sounds wasteful. You can stick with your pro tanks, or better try. Nautilus with the bvc coils. Those are getting rave reviews everywhere I've seen them.

Good luck! I hope the clk does well for you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

IndigoChild

ECF Veteran
May 10, 2014
As a liberal arts person, be ready to be indoctrinated into the world of electrical engineering. There is only one law to follow, and that is Ohm's Law. Look it up...

As far as I can tell, the CLK is just a basic VV battery, similar to the eGo Twist, Vision Spinner, EVOD VV, etc. but with passthrough capability (you can vape it while it is charging).

The CLK comes with the iClear 16D clearomizer, which has replaceable coils, just like the EVOD and PT2 Mini clearos you already have. These are the coil heads - Atomizer Head for Innokin iClear16B, iClear16D

Here is the best price I can find on the heads at a reputable vendor. It says 16B, but they will also fit in the 16D. $9 for 5 heads - Innokin iClear 16b Dual Coil Replacements - 5 Pack - 1.5ohm

DO NOT put tank cracking juice in a plastic tank, including the iClear 16D. Save those juices for your PT2 Mini or other Pyrex tanks.

VV, or variable voltage, allows you to fine tune your vape. Higher voltage means a hotter coil. Changing the voltage up or down will produce different amounts of vapor and flavor. Just set it to whatever you prefer the most. Also, the higher the voltage, the higher the power consumption, and thus the higher the drain on the battery.

The iTaste MVP is stuffed full of battery and guts, as well as being a feature rich device. The box shape is a popular option in the vaping world. Had you come to ECF before buying, you would have probably opted for the MVP instead of the CLK. It's probably the most recommended device on ECF, for newbs and vets alike. Here is a thread from elsewhere that has lots of gory pics of what the inside of the MVP looks like. Itaste MVP charging Problem repair | ALL ABOUT E-CIGARETTES UK

If you are interested in buying an MVP 2.0, the best place is 101Vape. Great price from a great vendor. It's where I got mine. Innokin iTaste MVP V2.0 - 101 Vape

For the battery, it says you need 1.2, preferably 2.5ohms for it. For the new battery they made for it that's supposed to be more advanced and last longer, it says a minimum 2.5, preferably 3.0ohms. I couldn't find replacements with these these anywhere, so I just went ahead and ordered two of the 2.1s you linked me to as well as two of the clearomizers (just in case you are supposed to throw them away - I have no clue). The new battery actually looks pretty sophisticated compared to the one it comes with in the kit. It's called an iTaste CLK 1280. It doesn't come with a tank though, just the battery, however it's 510 threading, so you can probably use it with lots of different things. Here's what it looks like and the specs: iTaste CLK 1280 I will probably go up to the MVP when I do another upgrade again in couple of months ;)

IndigoChild

ECF Veteran
May 10, 2014

For the battery, it says you need 1.2, preferably 2.5ohms for it. For the new battery they made for it that's supposed to be more advanced and last longer, it says a minimum 2.5, preferably 3.0ohms. I couldn't find replacements with these these anywhere, so I just went ahead and ordered two of the 2.1s you linked me to as well as two of the clearomizers (just in case you are supposed to throw them away - I have no clue). The new battery actually looks pretty sophisticated compared to the one it comes with in the kit. It's called an iTaste CLK 1280. It doesn't come with a tank though, just the battery, however it's 510 threading, so you can probably use it with lots of different things. Here's what it looks like and the specs: http://innokin.com/index.php/product-listings/2014-05-06-18-04-19/itaste-clk-1280 I will probably go up to the MVP when I do another upgrade again in couple of months ;)

IndigoChild

ECF Veteran
May 10, 2014
Oh yeah, I don't know if anyone here shops at Mt Baker, but I just busted a bunch of money on a whole bunch of flavors to try out :D -happy dance- I LOVE trying all the different flavors. I bought Dragonfruit, Dulce de Leche, Uncolored Spew, Kiwi, Mango, Melon Baller, Watermelon, Vanilla Custard, Banana Cream Pie, Bavarian Cream, Blue Moo, and Honey Berries.

Will flavors taste better in my new Innokin that's coming? (Vs. the Kanger EVOD kit and then the EVOD battery and Protank 2)? While deciding on what to upgrade to, I was in part drawn to Innokin because of the word, "iTaste." As for upgrading, I can see that the MVP would've been more ideal, but I'm at least still getting an upgrade, because trust me, there's no way this new unit could be as bad as the one I'm using right now... The color is peeling off, parts are starting to rust, the battery life is getting shorter and shorter, and it overheats almost every time I use it within minutes. I'm sure it's going to just die here any day, which was why I needed to get something else pronto - I can't be put in a position where I might go back to cigarettes.

IndigoChild

ECF Veteran
May 10, 2014
My Innokin iTaste CLK! arrived yesterday and I absolutely couldn't be any more pleased with what I got for my money, along with all the really cool features that this thing has. I'll be writing a review here shortly and will post a link to it in this thread (or maybe just copy and paste, or both) when I'm finished writing it so that anyone who's interested from this thread can take a look. Basically, it was worth every penny and is a very high quality product - I'd definitely recommend it. It makes my Kanger EVOD pale in comparison... And to answer my own question, yes, the iTaste tastes MUCH better! In fact, now that I can compare the two, I can't believe how funky and nasty that EVOD got and yet I wasn't even able to realize it until I tasted something that wasn't all messed up :-/

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.

I agree , the MVP is the only product that i have seen that gets a FIVE star review from every person that reviews it , over 800 on 101 vapes site alone . I have never heard of the Click but i'm sure others have experience with it .

I hope it is everything you expect it to be as Innokin makes great stuff but if in the unfortunate case it is not , please don't judge Innokin on that product alone , Innokin has others that are outstanding so keep at it until you find the right match .

Wishing you many enjoyable days ahead with your new device

IndigoChild

ECF Veteran
May 10, 2014
It's a really great product if you factor in what I was looking for. I'm totally satisfied and the company seems great to me. I'll be getting an MVP 2.0 Energy Edition next month or the month after. In terms of having something not box shaped, i.e. pen style, that's sturdy, less than $50, and comes with a kit that's all ready to go plus a lanyard, this is my idea of the best option... (The lanyard... Because I'm always misplacing my pen and it's VERY annoying). Oh yeah, I love the color styles these are available in... (I'm writing a full product review right now and will post the link to it here when I'm finished). Oh yeah... I tried out all those flavors! See: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/general-e-liquid-discussion/597732-flavors-have-you-tried-so-far-what-company-were-they-made-flavor-s-you-currently-using.html#post14000177

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread