Vaping & Cats/Dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ponderosa

Mar 22, 2015
Montana
I know there are a few threads around here re: vaping around your pets, but I was just seeing if I could get any new viewpoints...
First time I used my apv around my cat, she seemed a little off-put; she got as far away from me across the room as she could and stared at me very crossly for about twenty minutes. Now she's curled up next to me, and I can't really tell whether she minds or not. Obviously I'm very concerned with not letting her get into liquids or anything that has liquid on it, but I just wanted some thoughts on the matter. Anyone vape around their pets/what are their reactions/would you consider it safe for them...? She seems a lot more okay with it than she was with smoke, which she was (understandably) very very averse to.

Anyways, long rambling rant from a vaguely concerned cat owner.

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
Welcome Ponderosa!

I have a kitty and a dog. Kitty is often laying beside me; sometimes she'll watch the cloud, other times she is oblivious. Dog comes over to me and sniffs at the lingering cloud and usually sneezes on me :lol:

I won't blow straight at them, but I think it's infinitely better than the cigarette smoke that used to hang in the room :blink:

Cloudmann

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2015
North Charleston, SC
Be careful with your cat. Cats are slightly sensitive to PG. It's not anything to worry about unless you blow clouds of vapor in the cat's face or lock them in a room and have a cloud competition in there. Regular, every day vaping is fine, just try to not send the vapor directly at them. They have a blood sensitivity that basically causes small clots. Normally, the cat's spleen takes care of it just fine. It's not an issue unless you expose the cat to tons of PG vapor. If you're concerned, switch to VG.

Last edited:

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Be careful with your cat. Cats are slightly sensitive to PG. It's not anything to worry about unless you blow clouds of vapor in the cat's face or lock them in a room and have a cloud competition in there. Regular, every day vaping is fine, just try to not send the vapor directly at them. They have a blood sensitivity that basically causes small clots. It's not an issue unless you expose the cat to tons of PG vapor. If you're concerned, switch to VG.

If it's not an issue then why even bring it up?

Cloudmann

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2015
North Charleston, SC
If it's not an issue then why even bring it up?

Because if the OP decides to fill the room with a PG haze, then it is an issue and the cat will get ill. So long as they're not exposing the cat to thick clouds of PG vapor (or a PG/VG mix) or blowing vapor in the cat's face, the kitty will be fine and it won't be an issue. If the room stays ventilated and doesn't resemble a vape shop, the cat's spleen will process everything just fine.

Just a safety thing... don't want any sick cats, I have a cat, myself and vape only VG liquids to keep him healthy.

Last edited:

ponderosa

Mar 22, 2015
Montana
Thanks for all the good info, everyone. I'm careful about not blowing vapor very near my cat, and I use mostly high-VG liquids anyway, so at least that decreases the risk. I've been mostly concerned (probably paranoidly) with washing my hands well after doing stuff like building or switching tanks that gets liquid on my fingers, especially before hand-feeding her or petting her face, etc. I guess I'm worrying too much about this lol, but better safe than sorry, I suppose.

Thanks again for all the feedback; I love how active and helpful this community is.

Afternoon!! :) Cats are prone to a specific type of anemia if PG is ingested. They outlawed the use of PG in cat food some time ago for this reason. When I vape I just make sure that my cloud isn't going to settle on him and condense into his fur. That way he does not ingest any pg while grooming himself. As someone who also spoils her kitty I completely understand...btw my kitty is also diabetic so I have to really pay attention to what's going on with him and he's never had a vape related problem.

Last edited:
My dog is indifferent to the vapor, as are most of my cats. But my Russian Blue kitty seems to really enjoy the scents. I have to keep her from licking my face so she doesn't ingest any residual chemicals that may be on my skin, as she has become extremely lovey sinced I made the switch from analogs. Soon as I start vaping she tries curling up under my chin and I have to move her safely away. She's a weird one, but that's why she's my baby.

dbrandt01

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
Alabama
I don't have cats, but I have 2 dogs. I've vaped outside with my labrador. I blew the vapor in the opposite direction of him so the wind would take it away. I vape inside with the shih tzu blowing the vapor the other way. I vape unflavored so it's not scent they pay attention too, but they just watch the vapor. I always have the fan on in the house so it doesn't stay in one place long either.

Also since it's big on people, my vape supplies other than the current mod are locked away in my room which my dogs never are allowed in the hair. I don't want hair everywhere haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread