Vaping etiquette

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm brand new to this, about 3 weeks now and was wondering if there was any kind of accepted etiquette when vaping. Where I live I've only seen two people using e-cigs, one that looked like a real cig and another that looked like an eGo.

Do you guys only vape where smoking is allowed? Would you pull the thing out in a bar? In a mall? I enjoy vaping but don't want to give it a bad name or get all confrontational with anyone. We do have one bar here that specifically does not allow it, I only know that because my friend is a bartender there and I turned him on to e-cigs. Do most bars have rules regarding vaping?

Jazzi Mike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2013
Michigan
I guess for me that question has different answers depending on the amount of cocktails I have consumed... Haha, normally, I just vape outside when I follow my friends outside to smoke. As the night progresses though, sometimes, I might take a few stealth drags off of my e cig. At work, I pretty much only use it outside. Same thing at my university. They banned smoking on the entire campus even outside, so I just sneak a vape in the bathroom.

One of my classmates vapes in the classroom before class starts. I am not that brave, so I don't do it.

Tvan

ECF Veteran
Jul 26, 2013
NY
Welcome! Your going to get a lot of different answers. The mall, I wouldn't but that's just me. I haven't seen anyone else vaping at the mall in my area either. Bar, I would ask permission first. Personally, I won't go to designated smoking area. I will vape in non smoking areas as long as I'm one, outside, two, a respectful distance from others.

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    I say use your discretion. I tend to ask first at mom-and pop establishments with who I am comfortable and be stealthy at the grocery or franchises. I have my own office, so there's no problem there. It's easy to have a quick one here and there, under your breath, then go outside for a session.

smacuser

Total Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    Interesting. I originally thought (erroneously I see) that since it was not smoking it would be allowed anywhere but after reading a bunch of threads I see otherwise. I guess the rest of the world needs to catch up to this and understand what it is and what it's not. Until then discretion is key.

It's easier for owners to say no than to have to explain a hundred times to patrons why it's not smoking.

Intervap

ECF Veteran
    Jul 21, 2013
    Port Huron, Mi
    If people are eating, I don't vape. Some people just find it repugnant and I respect that. However, if a coffee shop allows vaping I will vape while I drink my coffee. It all comes down to your location really. I haven't even seen one person with a cigalike in my town so even vaping outside at the college can get people upset (they think it's illegal sometimes).
    It really depends on your comfort with discussing vaping and personal morals too.

bosun

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 24, 2013
    in between the ice ages
    Think of the anti-smoking climate. Initially not enough people were quitting. Then someone came up with the bright idea of second hand smoke. So things went from "you're stupid killing yourself like that but I don't care" to "OMG you're killing me and my kids with that disgusting thing". Thats when the fecal material hit the fan and smokers became second class citizens/pariahs/criminals. A non-smoker seeing one of those huge clouds of vapor is sure that it is gong to kill him and will act accordingly.

Choc_Addic

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 26, 2013
    Caldicote tunnel
    I vap,
    In my room.
    In my back/front yard.
    Smoking area.
    In the street if smoking is allowed (some townships don't allow smoking near buildings than I don't).
    In the car with windows up! (my car is tinted.).

Don't start something that you can't stop.
    For example, vaping in the car where people see you do it. Just common sense! Only need someone gets upset who does not know what vaping is! Just don't. We don't need any bad press.

Cheers

ScandaLeX

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    PhiLLy
    I vap,
    In my room.
    In my back/front yard.
    Smoking area.
    In the street if smoking is allowed (some townships don't allow smoking near buildings than I don't).
    In the car with windows up! (my car is tinted.).

Don't start something that you can't stop.
    For example, vaping in the car where people see you do it. Just common sense! Only need someone gets upset who does not know what vaping is! Just don't. We don't need any bad press.

Cheers

You lost me here.

If you're vaping in YOUR car what difference would it make to other people?
    For all they know, you're smoking unless you're using something that doesn't look like a cig-alike.

Either way, I don't get what business it'd be to someone else what you're doing in your own vehichle.

Choc_Addic

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 26, 2013
    Caldicote tunnel
    Either way, I don't get what business it'd be to someone else what you're doing in your own vehichle.
    Some one calling a cop on you and you having to clear it up? My time and the cop's time is valuable?
    I won't waste my time and i won't waste the time of the cop whose time is more important than having to clear up the mess.

Just think.

Cheers.

SirSteve

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 10, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Generally I follow smoking rules, the its not smoking its vaping thing is being addressed by business and governments, and not to our advantage. We can try to to educate, however some are just unable or unwilling to learn, or accept anything that goes against their preconceived notions.

Sadly it seems that the more of us that use vaping to keep from smoking, the more the rest of the world insists on putting us in the same category as the smokers most of us once were.

However I will not go as far as not vaping in the car, I will hold off if I see a cop car, I would rather avoid the hassle, others feel differently. That is a personal choice, I am not going to change their mind, they are not going to change mine. We just need to focus on our common ground and not our differences.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread