Vaping fatigue -- still have it after almost a year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamesblond

Feb 28, 2012
NYC, NY
Hey all,

I know there is a 9-page thread here (now closed) that talks about the tiredness or fatigue or lethargy that some people -- including me -- have experienced since starting vaping. But that thread is now closed and didn't ultimately lead to any real solution or explanation.

Here's my issue: it's been almost a year since I started vaping, and I am still prey to extreme bouts of fatigue and lethargy and general chronic tiredness. I'm just not the energetic guy I was a year ago -- I am just not. I haven't been to the gym in months. I don't want to work, don't want to play. Just want to lie in bed with the dog.

The most common ideas about this problem -- which seems widely reported -- in the last thread are as follows:
a) that the tiredness is a result from coming off of cigarettes
b) that it is caused by large amounts of PG as opposed to VG
c) that it's brief and goes away after a couple weeks.

The problem is:
a) I haven't smoked cigarettes in years -- I switched to the EC from the patch and gum
b) I've only used the brand "blucigs," which does not use any PG in its products
c) I've been vaping for a year and the tiredness has not abated or improved.

According to another post in that thread, the tiredness might be caused (in whole or in part) by excessive long deep breaths, which deliver higher doses of nicotine, as opposed to short, shallow puffs that deliver less. (Someone quoted a study claiming at that at lower doses, nicotine acts as a stimulant and at higher doses acts as a sedative) In a way, that made sense to me, because I find that I do take long, deep breaths with my vaporetto -- as I call this little e-cig. But that, too, seems problematic, because the one way I have found that I could combat the problem somewhat is by putting a patch on and vaping more selectively -- which would, according to the logic of this argument, deliver more nicotine into my system and sedate me more.

Therefore, I wanted to revive this issue because it is serious to me and seemed serious to others, and the most popular solutions did not (at least in my case) hold any water whatsoever.

So.....please.......anyone?

best,
James

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
while i cant speak of vape fatigue, as I have crazy work hours and dont sleep correctly. i have found that a killer multi vitamin (not centrum crap either) will help alot as it raises your metabolism and may give you the things you need to find the spark again, as there is also a chance vaping may be draining your body of vital nutrients (in the form of dehydration or internal systems trying to over/under compensate.)
Im one of those people who as long as I dont stop I am hyper as all ell. but once I sit still I crash and 23 years of some kickazz vite's has saved me more then once.

adeline

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2010
Cary, NC
Search the forum for "thyroid" ..

I relapsed in February ... Quit smoking and started vaping again Apr 1st. My hypothyroidism started very soon after.

Extreme fatigue, lack of motivation, intolerance to cold, brain fog/forgetfulness, weight gain, general aches/pains, dry skin and hair, and lack of concentration... I had all of these, and some more symptoms. There are SO many symptoms for hypothyroidism it's not funny..

If you identify with any of these symptoms, I recommend you see your doctor. A simple blood test can diagnose or rule out this problem. Hypothyroidism is VERY easily managed with medication.

The reason I say also look it up on these forums, is because there's apparently a connection between quitting smoking, and the onset of hypothyroidism. But also do some online research.. there is tons of info online.

Berylanna

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
south Bay Area, California
www.facebook.com
Glad Adeline mentioned hypothyroidism, I'm getting dry skin and some fatigue, I need to watch that.

But for now, I'm upping my nic to a reliable 24 instead of sometimes-24 like I've been doing.

Coming off patches and gum going to blu might well mean too big a drop in nicotine, if nicotine was your antidepressant, and your dose gets too low, I'd think you'd get depressed.

If you have the money, I'd try a Kgo VV (cheaper than a Twist) and a ViVi Nova and a high-nic juice -- 24 or even higher. I've not tried 36 yet but it's on my list if this keeps up.

mmsjs5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
Illinois
Hey all,

I know there is a 9-page thread here (now closed) that talks about the tiredness or fatigue or lethargy that some people -- including me -- have experienced since starting vaping. But that thread is now closed and didn't ultimately lead to any real solution or explanation.

Here's my issue: it's been almost a year since I started vaping, and I am still prey to extreme bouts of fatigue and lethargy and general chronic tiredness. I'm just not the energetic guy I was a year ago -- I am just not. I haven't been to the gym in months. I don't want to work, don't want to play. Just want to lie in bed with the dog.

The most common ideas about this problem -- which seems widely reported -- in the last thread are as follows:

The problem is:
a) I haven't smoked cigarettes in years -- I switched to the EC from the patch and gum
b) I've only used the brand "blucigs," which does not use any PG in its products

According to another post in that thread, the tiredness might be caused (in whole or in part) by excessive long deep breaths, which deliver higher doses of nicotine, as opposed to short, shallow puffs that deliver less. (Someone quoted a study claiming at that at lower doses, nicotine acts as a stimulant and at higher doses acts as a sedative) In a way, that made sense to me, because I find that I do take long, deep breaths with my vaporetto -- as I call this little e-cig. But that, too, seems problematic, because the one way I have found that I could combat the problem somewhat is by putting a patch on and vaping more selectively -- which would, according to the logic of this argument, deliver more nicotine into my system and sedate me more.

Therefore, I wanted to revive this issue because it is serious to me and seemed serious to others, and the most popular solutions did not (at least in my case) hold any water whatsoever.

best,
James

I had the same problems as you have. I went back to cigarettes to get myself back to "normal". Then when I discovered there was something new, called WTA, I decided I'd give it another go. Here is the link to their page on this forum.... http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-alkaloid-wta-now-available-aroma-ejuice.html and here is a link to their store....Whole Tobacco Alkaloid WTA Eliquid Ejuice.

I have a job that requires my thinking to be intact, and this has helped me achieve that AND be smoke free.

There's also snus (I use General mini mint), snuff (I've never used it), and hard snuff (I use Stonewalls), that are from tobacco and have the whole tobacco alkaloids that we are missing from straight nic liquid. Here's where I go to learn about this type of stuff....http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...er-your-lip-your-nose-right-now-part-2-a.html

I hope this helps, because I know just how miserable you really feel. Don't give up. :)

Faylool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Sweet Home, Oregon USA
I read on here so I'm not sure it's true that the process used in making WTA is re introducing MAOI type stuff which is an oldy anti depressant. Your symptoms could be quite a few things including low thyroid, depression, both, chronic constipation, heart not working right and many more. If you don't like doctors and it's messing with your quality of life quit vaping. Get the gum and give it a couple weeks. If there is no significant change you probably should at least get a series of standard blood tests to start including thyroid. Sometimes it takes a very determined effort to start exercise when you've been down for awhile, whether or not you feel like it and you're probably out of shape after a year so you might give that a couple weeks too. I feel for you. In an elimination diet a person discovers things that are knocking him out. Mine was preservatives of several kinds. Pretty common. Or MSG messes with people. Yeah.. Quit vaping and after a week vape a bunch and see if you do a BIG crash. Feeling like you've been hit by a truck the next day? Constipation really slows some people WAY way down like you describe and not exercising adds to that condition and just makes it worse. Well , maybe something blabbed might help.

PhreakySTS9

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2011
Shayol Ghul, The Great Blight
People can be quick to jump to vaping whenever they are experiencing health problems. People that don't smoke or vape also experience health problems and you can't just expect vaping to make you magically healthy for the rest of your life. This sounds like something that has more to it rather than anything to do with vaping. I would go to the doctor, IMO.

dymrip

Nov 2, 2012
Wakeman, Ohio
The problem is:

Man the Blucigs had several strange side-effects on me that none of the other brands I tried seemed to have.

For starters, every time I hit one of the Blucigs I instantly got this really sour heartburn. It was weird man. I have had problems with heartburn in the past but this wasn't normal heartburn.

I also couldn't help but gag everytime I hit one because it reminded me of burnt coffee and burning paper. The first few hits weren't bad off of a new cart, but after that it was that nasty burnt coffee/paper taste.

Those were by far THE WORST ecig I have tried. It's a shame too because I loved the design of their charging case and the small batteries, even though I had to recharge them every half-hour!

catoliver

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2012
South Carolina
God! This could be me writing this (except substitute the dog snuggling with a kitten)

I have changed my diet (eating more lean meats, veggies, fruits, whole grains) joined the YMCA and exercise 3 times a week, started drinking Amazing Grass twice a day, and a multi-vitamin. Also had a full blood screen, checked my iron level, thyroid, everything is fine.

But I cannot shake this laziness, fatigue, tiredness, whatever you want to call it. I've also been more anxious and stressed.

I started on an anti-depressant a year ago, Lexapro 20 mg. It was working until a couple of months ago.

I was just wondering to myself if I should call my doctor because I might need a new medication.

Now I see this thread.......

Hey all,

The problem is:

best,
James

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
Depression is the first thing that popped into my head after reading the OP.

I think there are quite a few smokers who suffer from depression and unknowingly self-medicate with Tobacco. I'm sure most people here are aware of the anti-depressant alkaloids in Tobacoo, but your average smoker isn't.

You are basically someone who was taking anti-depressants for a long time, and then you stopped. People that do that, assuming their anti-depressants worked in the first place, generally feel just as you do.

I'd personally smoke some cigs just to see if that changes the way you feel drastically. If so, then it's most likely depression and you should seek some medication from the doctor. I know it's blasphemy to suggest someone smoke a few packs of cigs, but if you don't KNOW that you are actually suffering from depression taking the powerful drugs the doc gives you seems more dangerous to me, compared to smoking a couple packs to make sure it's actually the MAOIs (or lack thereof) causing your issues, before you commit to taking prescription drugs.

Orobas

Equine Disrespect
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2012
Jarhead City
Search the forum for "thyroid" ..

I relapsed in February ... Quit smoking and started vaping again Apr 1st. My hypothyroidism started very soon after.

Extreme fatigue, lack of motivation, intolerance to cold, brain fog/forgetfulness, weight gain, general aches/pains, dry skin and hair, and lack of concentration... I had all of these, and some more symptoms. There are SO many symptoms for hypothyroidism it's not funny..

If you identify with any of these symptoms, I recommend you see your doctor. A simple blood test can diagnose or rule out this problem. Hypothyroidism is VERY easily managed with medication.

The reason I say also look it up on these forums, is because there's apparently a connection between quitting smoking, and the onset of hypothyroidism. But also do some online research.. there is tons of info online.

Hubby has Grave's disease. Thyroid problems are serious business.

But I concur with the general concensus that you should ensure you don't have a medical problem that just happened to coincide with starting vaping.

Take some B & D vitamins, too. You'd be amazed how often people are deficient in them. And yes, maybe WTAs might be good for you. I was feeling pretty low the first few weeks of the switch because those MAOIs are a big deal, especially for someone like me whose prone to episodes of depression.

tracilynnie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 2, 2012
NY
Have you had your iron levels checked? Those symptoms also sound like anemia and I found a little tidbit on a site that may interest you:

"Cigarette smoking causes numerous diseases that are associated with anemia but the resulting low hemoglobin levels may be counterbalanced by increased red blood cell production caused by chronic exposure to carbon monoxide from cigarette smoke."
- Taken from Department of Hematology and Oncology, University Medical Centre, Freiburg, Germany.

I've always been anemic and have taken an iron supplement since I was 14.. It might be worth looking into.

Edit: Basically what it sounds like is that smoking can cause conditions like anemia and yet be covered up by the effects that smoking has on your body, so when you quit smoking your body naturally is showing the signs that were otherwise hidden.

Last edited:

adeline

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2010
Cary, NC
Hubby has Grave's disease. Thyroid problems are serious business.

But I concur with the general concensus that you should ensure you don't have a medical problem that just happened to coincide with starting vaping.

Take some B & D vitamins, too. You'd be amazed how often people are deficient in them. And yes, maybe WTAs might be good for you. I was feeling pretty low the first few weeks of the switch because those MAOIs are a big deal, especially for someone like me whose prone to episodes of depression.

Indeed. Left untreated, thyroid disease (hypo or hyper) can lead to some serious complications. There are several things that can lead to hypo/hyperthyroidism (Graves' Disease, Hashimotos, thyroid cancer, and other, less easy to pronounce/type disorders).

Iron, and Vitamin D are also good things to get checked. You would be very smart to get a full blood panel done ASAP.

I was absolutely exhausted for MONTHS. Lost the desire to do anything or go anywhere. I went in to see my doc for my annual physical. When I told her how exhausted I was, she asked after a few more symptoms. I didn't know what she was getting at until my blood work came back. Vit D deficient (not surprising for me) and hypothyroid.

Hypo (underactive) can lead to things like depression. So don't rule it out. Hyper is more likely to lead to things like anxiety.

Just want you to know you're not the only one going through this. I've been on meds for about a month, and while I'm not 100% (I think my med dose is way too low), I'm starting to see a little of the light. I can actually have happy moments. I don't hate every second of every day. And I'm thinking a lot less of doing very stupid things.

See your doc for blood work.. Take a multivitamin.. Drink more water.. And hang in there! It gets better.

Byten

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2012
USA
Fatigue is a very generalized symptom and it could a number of different of causes in any combination. You need to troubleshoot your health problems just like any other problem.

Most Americans have one or more vitamin deficiencies, correct that first. Just because you maybe eating "healthy" doesn't mean you are getting the nutrition you need. I have been a bodybuilder for almost a decade, and from my experience of trying to develop meal plans it's nearly impossible to balance all the nutrients you need function optimally. The RDA for micro-nutrients listed on food labels was established by taking bed ridden teenagers and starving them, slowly increasing dosages until they self reported a lack of symptoms. This does not yield a result that means anything in relation to a functioning adult today. Find a "fitness" multivitamin, Optimen is a great one and costs less than the crap at the grocery store. One of those tablets is plenty for most adults, however it will take time for blood levels to reach a noticeable level, all the lines of weeks. Taking individual B and D supplements can spend things up and you can pretty tell within 24 hours if you were deficient. B vitamins can be taken in dosages well above the label without side effects, I have routinely taken B12 5000 mcg (83,333% of RDA) for years when I am feeling run down. Vitamin D also helps a lot especially in the winter months, thou in theory you maybe able to develop a toxicity with it there have only been 2 confirmed and reported cases of this I have ever heard of, I don't take it year round because of this.

Low iron is common problem for women of a reproductive age and a supplement does wonders for them. However, unless you are experiencing blood loss on a regular basis, iron supplementation is not recommended for men. Mineral supplementation is not something to be undertaken without regular blood tests. Eat red meat instead, assuming you are male.

Electrolyte imbalances also cause fatigue and are very common. Drink the right amount of water, around 128 oz per day, avoid stimulants and alcohol, eat spinach.

Another extremely common and over looked cause of fatigue, stimulants. Daily use of caffeine, nicotine and others I'm not going to list leaves your adrenal system and nervous system overworked and worn out. Cut out all stimulants you can and let your body come back to a normal functioning. It will only get worse for about a week but after that it only gets better. I have noticed dropping my nic levels I feel a lot better.

Diseases of the thyroid should be addressed as well, it is a serious condition. It is however, rare in well maintained males. Poor nutrition and lack of exercise will cause low hormone levels and could lead to a misdiagnosis with a lifetime prescription to a synthetic hormone, which overtime will cause Hypothyroidism.

Unless you using several high nic cartomizers on the Blu cig a day, I wouldn't think your fatigue is related to vaping. Not knowing your situation on nicotine before and after switching to vaping, it would be possible you are getting more nicotine than you were smoking which certainly would be causing chronic fatigue.

Before your talk to your Doctor, be sure to figure out exactly what you experiencing. Lethargy, fatigue, malaise, etc seem like synonyms to us non-medical professionals but in a doctors office they have very different meanings and treatments.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread