Vaping for non smokers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veerdin

Aug 15, 2013
Australia
Hi! First up, I'm new here, and new to the whole world of vaping in general. I know they've been around quite some time now, and always vauegly understood what they were, but recently I was looking up fake cigarette props and found these. - Very cheap, barely flavoured and (I think?) simple E-Cigs intended for acting purposes.

These ones have no nicotine or nicotine substitute in them. They are mint flavoured (apparently) and according to the website, totally safe.

It got me thinking... Most users of E-Cigs are people who have smoked in the past and want an alternative/are trying to quit. I've not heard of somebody who has never smoked before (like, for instance, myself.) getting into it.

My father smokes, and I was thinking of introducing him to E-Cigs as a safer alternative that he can smoke in the house. But I was thinking... What about if I tried them?

Currently, I have not smoked or vaped before. I do not intend to smoke a cigarette, either. Never been big on drugs (I drink very rarely and small amounts when I do. I've never done any illicit drugs, either. Nor do I plan to) but vaping intrigues me for a variety of reasons.

First up, I currently get quite bad halitosis. I often chew gum to help alleviate this. It works... Up until about 5 minutes after spitting out the gum. This basically means I need to pop a stick after every meal, when I wake up, when I go out, etc... And I end up going through around two packs of gum a week just to keep my breath in a non-deathly state.

I'm wondering... Because vaping involves, obviously, the inhalation of chemical vapours throughout the whole respiratory system. Would it have any affect on breath? I.E: Improving it? I know that E-Cigs come in flavours ranging from cinnamon to applesauce and as my better half doesn't tend to like mint that much, being able to breath caramel chocolate blueberries might be a big plus.

Secondly. Let's just get this out of the way, as unhealthy as smoking is, there is no denying it looks cool. There's always been a visual appeal to it, and that visual appeal is (usually) intact with E-Cigs. But now we can have blue "flames" and coloured smoke and the like. It'd be nice to be able to spice up my appearance with an E-Cig here and there.

I feel weird asking about this, as though there are going to be some people out there face-palming themselves into oblivion at the idea of a non-smoker being interested in vapes. But there you go.

Is vaping a good idea? Clearly I'd be steering clear of the nicotine or nico-substitute E-Cigs and going only for the simple flavours. Thoughts? Advice? Should I drop the whole notion of it and go back to my chewing gum?

Thanks!

Last edited:

drifter22no1

Jun 10, 2013
Logan, Ohio
I appreciate and respect the thought of getting your dad to try vaping as opposed to analogs, greatest gift you could offer him. As far as you trying vaping I would not suggest it but only in my opinion. My theory is don't start something that could cause you regrets down the road. For me and my vote I say stick to the gum and keep working on your Dad. Good luck

BillyRayBob

Jun 18, 2013
Boston, MA, USA
As drifter said, introducing your Dad to the idea of vaping rather than using analogs is a great idea! Since making the switch, my senses of smell and taste have returned. I can breathe! I don't think anyone would regret making that switch.

I'm not sure that vaping would do much for halitosis? I can see how the gum might get old, but what about something simple like breath spray? Super quick, super portable, etc. At least that has a proven track record when it comes to freshening breath, and while more and more evidence seems to point to vaping being harmless, I don't think it's at a point where I'd feel comfortable promoting it to non-smokers.

"Smoking looks cool eh?" :) That's completely manufactured. Who doesn't want to be the stoic cowboy bringing cattle down the range? Or the grizzled tough guy that initially looks like the bad guy but turns out to use his strength for good, or any other number of ways smoking was glamorized for the sake of sales. That's all this is.

I can understand the draw to vaping aside from the hype associated with smoking though. I like tinkering with stuff, I like hardware, etc. I wouldn't judge someone who never smoked but started vaping.

Completely personal call, but if you're looking for someone to counter the little voice on your shoulder not to go that route... can't help ya on that one :)

Screamin Eagle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
Maryland
Well as a former smoker I can say that I recentl took up vaping as a way just to be able enjoy some of the flavors out there. Plus it's cuts down on the munchies I use to get. So it kind of helps me loose some weight.
I puff mine like a pipe or cigar. Not really inhailing all the time but just pulling the vapor in and letting it set to injoy the flavor. I also like to do things myself, so theres a hobby side to it. I can make my own liquids, and am waiting for some wick and wire materials to come in to start rebuilding my own coils.
I think the most risk your going to take in this is it being habbit forming. That's half of "the smokers curse".
Nicotine is extreamly addictive and I applaud you for staying away from it and wanting to try to help your father to get off of it.
As for it being a way of curing your "death breath"? I'm not too sure that's going to work for you. But everyone is different. You can always give it a try. Get an inexpensive unit, and some good flavors to start out with. It will take a little time to devolop a habbit, so it wouldn't be too hard to just walk away from if you find that it's not working for you.

Good Luck!

Veerdin

Aug 15, 2013
Australia
Might go ahead and grab two sets, a nicotine or nic-substitute for my dad (after I tell him about 'em) and a smaller, more basic one for myself with no nicotine.

When it comes to unhealthy habits, I've got my fair share. I said earlier I tend to avoid drugs, but on a purely technical sense, that's a lie: I abuse the hell out of caffine. I love coffee, I love tea, I love coffee and tea flavoured cakes and the like. And while I'm still not seeing any evidence that a few cups a day will give me evil throat demons that want to ruin everything good and pure in my life, I doubt the coffee is helping my breath.

I've been to the dentist, too. My teeth are fine barring some plaque build-up here and there. And that's a dietary issue (I like it hot, greasy and salty, and I aint' even ashamed) and I brush regularly enough that I've noticed no problems there. The breath seems to come from deeper down in my throat and on my tongue.

I did actually try breath spray for a bit, but that was even less effective than the gum. It made my throat feel weird for a few minutes and once it faded I was back to wilting roses with my breathing.

I exaggerate, of course. It isn't quite that bad. But it is noticeable, and it is constant.

"Smoking looks cool eh?" :) That's completely manufactured. Who doesn't want to be the stoic cowboy bringing cattle down the range? Or the grizzled tough guy that initially looks like the bad guy but turns out to use his strength for good, or any other number of ways smoking was glamorized for the sake of sales. That's all this is.

Oh, I recognise this good and clear. Took a course on the effects of advertising and propaganda a bit ago and the lessons stuck with me. Doesn't mean it freed me from the draw, though, hahah. It's like anything that's been promoted through the media: Cars, clothing, random odds and ends. It's amazing what we do in this day and age to stay looking "cool" but I doubt that the image of "Smoking = badass" will ever truly fade... Especially with the new market of E-Cigs and they're (apparently) lower health risks.

For instance, I wear reading glasses when I type to stop me from leaning over my comp and hurting my neck. Now I could have gone with any pair at all, I could have picked up some $7 set at a drugstore and left it at that... But I went out of my way to order a pair that looked "cool" even though I had to pay a bit extra and get them online. I wanted to look "cool" even behind my computer screen.

That's just how the human mind works, unfortunately. I could spend my life trying to transcend earthly ties or some other thing like that. But truth be told, I'm just a lazy kid who wants to play video games and write books.

Last edited:

jkarlson

Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
United States
Nothing wrong with someone picking up vaping who has never smoked. I wouldn't suggest vaping with nicotine. No reason to get addicted to something. But vaping 0 nic is fine. My girlfriend started vaping when I did and she's always done 0 nic. She loves it, and even says it calms her when shes stressed. Even I've got myself down to 0 and still love it.

Veerdin

Aug 15, 2013
Australia
That's my staunchest policy - I don't plan to form any addictions here. So I'm sticking totally to 0 nic ones.

Might give those "actor" grade ones a go, they're mint flavoured and are very cheap. Comes in a fairly large pack with a charger box. Might be a nice one to try out.

Thanks for all the advice, guys! I'm glad I'm not going to be looked at like some maniac for wanting to give them a go despite never having smoked.

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
I appreciate and respect the thought of getting your dad to try vaping as opposed to analogs, greatest gift you could offer him. As far as you trying vaping I would not suggest it but only in my opinion. My theory is don't start something that could cause you regrets down the road. For me and my vote I say stick to the gum and keep working on your Dad. Good luck
If I could go back in time and kick myself in the junk for even THINKING of touching a cigarette I would...

personal vapers are almost a last ditch attempt at smokers to finally kick the habit, everything I have tried before has temporarily worked and failed, nothing has even come close to really pulling me away from the draw and hold smoking analogs had on me, I tell EVERYONE that isn't a smoker "The easiest way for me to quit it to NEVER have started in the first place"

You might be able to vape with 0mg flavors...but you are going to develop a oral fixation like smokers did...when we quit, with enough willpower we CAN allow the nicotine in our system to fade and fight and fight and fight the urge to get a cigarette, what is the worse part is we really subconsciously end up replacing that cig with something else, most people gain quite a bit of weight replacing that hand to mouth action, instead of a stinky we replace it with food

My suggestion to you is don't even open the door for the chance of nicotine or a habit to grab ahold of your life, with your dad, introduce him to them and let him work on weening himself off the analogs (it took me 2 weeks, my wife is down to 5-10 analogs a day, it depends on the person and the hold it has on them)

If you feel you must, then get you a good rig, possibly VV and some 0mg juices...but be careful...that demon is just waiting to claim another victim

The best way for me to quit is to NEVER have started in the first place

Kellycat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 3, 2013
Cary, NC, USA
but you are going to develop a oral fixation like smokers did...when we quit, with enough willpower we CAN allow the nicotine in our system to fade and fight and fight and fight the urge to get a cigarette, what is the worse part is we really subconsciously end up replacing that cig with something else, most people gain quite a bit of weight replacing that hand to mouth action, instead of a stinky we replace it with food

Personally, while this is a valid point on both sides of the coin, I know several who've picked up vaping to curb a pre-existing oral fixation that led to weight gain. I had that as a fringe benefit, while a friend of mine tried my old Volts to curb her constant snacking..so far we're both losing weight and getting in better shape.

Back to the specific question: I see no issue vaping zero-nic juices as a non-smoker. Sure, there may be long-term effects of inhaling PG/VG, but it's the same stuff you find in fog machines, and you don't see DJs, band members, etc getting ill from it. There was a thread posted above on the topic of non-smokers vaping, and I participated in another, http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo.../455517-non-smoker-one-month-into-vaping.html so I won't bore you with my whole spiel on the matter as it's in that thread for the most part. Bottom line is yeah, there's not much reason not to try it, as far as helping your breath, eh, it probably won't do much unless you're puffing away constantly, I've not noticed my breath holding a scent from a liquid, no matter how strong..my taste buds are a different story though! Cloves, mint, cinnamon, all those linger on my tongue, but nobody's noticed it on my breath unless I'm actually vaping in front of them or have literally just set down my PV to talk to them.

knitcrotatter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
Waterbury, CT, USA
Nothing wrong with someone picking up vaping who has never smoked. I wouldn't suggest vaping with nicotine. No reason to get addicted to something. But vaping 0 nic is fine. My girlfriend started vaping when I did and she's always done 0 nic. She loves it, and even says it calms her when shes stressed. Even I've got myself down to 0 and still love it.

Same thing with me and my husband - I started vaping to quit analogs, and he was intrigued and started vaping 0 nic. I'm down to zero nic as well now! Hubby finds it relaxing as well...I say as long as you're vaping 0 nic, go for it!

Veerdin

Aug 15, 2013
Australia
You might be able to vape with 0mg flavors...but you are going to develop a oral fixation like smokers did...when we quit, with enough willpower we CAN allow the nicotine in our system to fade and fight and fight and fight the urge to get a cigarette, what is the worse part is we really subconsciously end up replacing that cig with something else, most people gain quite a bit of weight replacing that hand to mouth action, instead of a stinky we replace it with food

My suggestion to you is don't even open the door for the chance of nicotine or a habit to grab ahold of your life, with your dad, introduce him to them and let him work on weening himself off the analogs (it took me 2 weeks, my wife is down to 5-10 analogs a day, it depends on the person and the hold it has on them)

As it happens, I actually already have an oral fixation.. Quite a bad one.

I've had it since I was very young - I relentlessly chew my lips, the inside of my mouth, my fingernails, random objects, sometimes even my skin. I'm like a rabbit in that regard. And if you saw my mouth you'd think I'd been standing in a sandstorm for five solid hours, the chewing can be that bad. I don't have a problem with constant eating, but when it comes to damaging my own body and the objects around it, I can be a bit of a monster.

Obviously, gum chewing helps to stem this. While I'm chewing them, anyway. But as anybody who has gone through a pack of gum a week knows, that spearmint-to-plastic flavour transition gets old really fast.

Not sure if vaping would help to remedy this, or make it worse. Advice on that might be appreciated. I hadn't even thought of it until you mentioned "oral fixation" but now that I have, the chance to let my lips heal up properly might not be a bad opportunity.

seros

Aug 18, 2013
Kentucky
My opinion is this: if you understand the risks and potential health hazards, and are still fine with it, then go for it! People aren't looked down on for trying a beer for the first time, although alcoholism and negative effects of alcohol can be much more quickly damaging (a few nights' drinking binge can do a heck of a lot of damage while most smokers don't see long term damage until years down the road). Yet the idea of a nonsmoker picking up a 0mg or even a 1+mg e-cig is crazy to most. I understand why, as those advising you here likely have experienced nicotine addiction first-hand.

But in the end, it's up to you. Today, my wife and I left the local vaping establishment having dropped $100 or so on two kits and various juices. She used to smoke in high school and then very sparingly as an adult, and as her job becomes more stressful she has been really craving the idea of going back to a cigarette, so the idea of something that can provide that release without the huge danger of smoking was a Godsend to us.

As for me, I have never smoked a day in my life. Never will. Never done any illegal drug, and never want to. I was probably the one kid in school who didn't roll his eyes at all the PSA's and DARE publications we were constantly forced to sit through, and so I avoid cigarettes almost to the point of paranoia.

Yet I have issues losing weight, like to snack, and in part due to my adult ADD I am constantly needing to do something with my hands/mouth, to the point of chewing on ends of pens until I accidentally hit ink (bleh!) and eviscerating toothpicks by the forestful. So today we went out and each bought an eGo, and have a second starter kit on the way (so we'll end up with 2 batteries and clearo's each). I also picked up a Kanger Protank which my wife is already jealous of, and have been vaping happily for the last 12 hours or so.

So far I have noticed no negative issues (although it did take a bit to get used to the whole thing). Currently I am experimenting with 6mg juice to see if it has an effect on my concentration and appetite, although I have a 0mg bottle on order from Vapedudes which I will be using as well. I'm sure many people may think that I'm crazy for even thinking about introducing an addictive drug into my system, but if this causes me to no longer desire soda (0mg Moutain Dude should be in the mail Tuesday) and I am able to lose weight as a result, I think it's worth it. Because in my mind, I'd much rather be living 40 years from now and fretting over a 6mg nicotine habit than dying in the next ten years from a heart attack.

I know I've gone a bit long with this post but the TL, DR version is this: know the risks, understand the plusses and minuses, and make a decision you personally feel best about. While it's an easy choice to move from analogs to e-cigs health-wise, in the end moving from nothing to e-cigs is your decision, and yours alone.

Last edited:

Hulamoon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2012
Waikiki Hawaii
With all the choices out there, I think vaping is one of the safer one for someone thinking to start, whether to calm nerves, enjoy, whatever. Hot dry climates can exacerbate the problem of halitosis because you may not be producing enough saliva to moisturize and "sluice" your tongue and mouth. Try a couple of mouthwashes and other items from Biotene or similar brand. And drink lots of water. Caffeine will dry you out and make your poor old mouth even drier along with the consequences. Good luck and welcome!

Veerdin

Aug 15, 2013
Australia
Well as I've said, I have no intentions of introducing nicotine into my body. It's more my breath and my hands/mouth habits I'd like to work on. I won't even need an addictive thing to replace my lip chewing with ecig vaping.

On that note, can anybody recommend a good starter for somebody who wants absolutely no addictive chemicals but still wants to vape? I'm mulling over the idea of grabbing some of those actor ones because they're literally just mint flavoured smoke machines and nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread