Vaping to help with diet urges...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fugzzy

Jul 2, 2012
Orlando fl
I've been vaping for about 3 weeks, and I noticed as soon as I got away from tobacco flavors I missed having an analog even less. I"m still going through other types of flavors (sweet, fruit, spice...) and have also noticed that some flavors are better morning vape, after food, night time... Whatever the mood is. So let get to the reason for the post.

My girlfriend is dieting, and has devilish sweet tooth. She also has never been a smoker of any kind.:nun: Oh how i wish to have pretty pink lungs again. Anywho, she came to me with the idea of doing a zero nicotine level, and getting some flavors like brownie, ice cream, or w/e sweets she my want to have around the kitchen. She is hoping and thinking it would help her craving. Plus she loves going to the local pv store and watching us talk shop, clueless but interested nevertheless.

Now I'm not recommending it to the FDA for a diet supplement, but do want some input, and ideas:2c:. Even if you think it's a bad idea. Keep in mind I'm still learning myyself and will be explaining the to someone that doesn't even know how to hold a cig. So be explain it like I was a 5th grader.

As always thank you from Orlando.

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida
Personally, vaping is the only way I've been able to quit smoking without immediately putting on 10 to 20 pounds, and I believe the sweet desert flavors do help in that respect.

With that said, I would not recommend vaping (even at 0 nic levels) to anyone who isn't looking for an alternative to smoking tobacco or trying to quit. There are still no long term studies about the otherwise safe chemicals being vaporized and inhaled into your lungs and what kind of damage that could be doing. We, as vapers, understand this unknown risk and accept it as a major reduction to the known health risk associated with smoking tobacco products.

An alternative to vaping for flavor and diet use might be using diabetic hard candies or other sources of flavor that don't add calories to ones daily intake.

sandhillcrane

Jul 21, 2012
Florida,USA
I smoked (quit) about 30 years ago and have been dying for a cig ever since. Even dreaming I took up smoking again. Long story short, I heard about vaping about a month ago and bought them at a gas station for my smoker son. I started vaping too and LOVE it. Needless to say, I no longer buy them at the gas station!! I have also been dieting for a year and took off 30 pounds. I haven't weighed myself in a while but I CAN tell you that vaping keeps me from snacking. btw...I also have asthma and I have no shortness of breath vaping. The best news is my son hasn't had a cig since vaping either!

AlmityPunx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 16, 2012
Texas
i think that vaping has helped me lose some weight... having a sweet one around helps me take the edge off that wicked sweet tooth.

as far as STARTING vaping for weight loss... cant say i WOULD recommend it but i wouldnt recommend any of the diet pills or a lot of other ways of losing weight so... her call really

Trilly

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2011
Derbyshire, UK
It is her decision at the end of the day but I do know a woman who did exactly that, started vaping zero nic for the flavour so she would vape rather than comfort eat and yes it did break the vicious cycle for her, she doesn't use it the same as a former smoker, might take a few hits and then not touch it again for a week but knowing she has it there as an alternative is her crutch. I'm not condoning it but provided she does the research and makes the informed decision for herself then I can't see a problem.

Ralikar

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2011
Vaping keeps you from snacking because nicotine curbs appetite and has insulin responses going on.

0 nic=??. Medical studies -- which I'm dubious about -- do show diet soda triggers the insulin response of a sweet craving yet it's a trick to the body. Not sure if that's would be same with vaping 0...

I can tell you from lots of personal dieting/lifting/nutritional study that if she's having cravings then she's not on a good diet. Include cheat meals and a sound nutritional plan and it won't be a big issue--if she's Oprah starving herself dieting then vaping chocolate is just going to make her think of it or cause other problems. When I was on a high protein low carb diet a brownie was like a gift from God... when I upped my carbs I wasn't tempted at all; just like quitting smoking and being low on nic. Try it yourself: go to the gym for a while, come back and that 1500cal Ben and Jerrys is like a siren... Eat 500cal of pasta and it's not that appealing at all... Sound diet=success. Starvation+vaping tricks=yo yo dieting and binging/starvation cycles.

Last edited:

Dominicanto

ECF Veteran
Jun 10, 2012
New York City
This is hard because I'm torn between answering truthfully (my experience) and answering as I should. But here goes:

Before vaping, I smoked a PAD and had a horrible sweet tooth which indulged at night before going to bed. Not only were my lungs taking a hit, so was my belly with the worse possible combo for weight gain. Enter vaping. I quit analogs same day I had my first vape and found, when I began to vape non-tobacco flavored (ie. fruit, dessert, etc.) that I no longer had that sweet tooth and I've lost about 10 pounds in that time. It could be that the flavoring in the sweet juices has me desiring actual sweets less. More of what I think is happening has to do with why I was able to quit analogs so fast - the hand-to-mouth fixation which is psychological. Why many of us over eat has to do with many things: genetics, upbringing, love of certain types of foods or just that hand-to-mouth thing. Yes, nicotine curbs appetite chemically, but why many of us gain weight when we quit smoking has a good bit to do (in my opinion) with the need to replace the cigarette in your mouth with something. So I do think, depending on her reasons for over eating, that your lady MAY be able to curb her appetite for sweets in the same way I was.

BUT, as you've already read here, you're now exposing her to a new habit and one that may not be in her long-term best interests based on the lack of undisputed, widely accepted evidence and not the limited set of tests and anecdotal evidence currently available. I wouldn't do it and would have her talk to a nutritionist/doctor to get at the root of her problem in a different way.

As was also said here, to each their own, and I, for one, cannot judge one way or another. But I'd encourage you to look for another way.

zuzette

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2012
Colorado
i agree with ralikar. i lost 50 lbs through diet and moderate exercise. but along the way i learned a balanced protein rich diet is more beneficial than simply not eating sweets.
if she is a big Carb eater her insulin response is going to make her want more carbs and sweets. the cure however is simply more diet balance.

as for vaping 0g for flavor...no problem but get the diet balance in place and she may find her desire for sweets is naturally dimminished.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread