**Vapor Production VS. Coil Ohms, Gauge, and Type**

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImaStarreVap3r

ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2015
SoCal
So that other day I had someone tell me that if you were to take a .5 ohm, 1ohm, and 2ohm coil made with the same type of wire and at the same gauge they would all vape the same at 20 Watts. Now that got me thinking about why all these tanks coming out are using sub-ohm coils that require a ton of wattage to produce a good amount of vapor when they could be using a higher ohm coil that produces the same amount of vapor only at a much lower wattage level. If this is true, then why don't they use higher ohm coils and save vapers tons of power? This would also make everything alot safer as well considering you won't have to use high drain batteries. So what I'm asking is why not use a coil head that is just as big as the ones coming out for these tanks only it is at 2ohms and using 30 gauge kanthal wire? This thread is for vapor production only so I'm not asking about flavor, juice requirement, etc.

Last edited:

Firestorm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoland
So that other day I had someone tell me that if you were to take a .5 ohm, 1ohm, and 2ohm coil made with the same type of wire and at the same gauge they would all vape the same at 20 Watts. Now that got me thinking about why all these tanks coming out are using sub-ohm coils that require a ton of wattage to produce a good amount of vapor when they could be using a higher ohm coil that produces the same amount of vapor only at a much lower wattage level. If this is true, then why don't they use higher ohm coils and save vapers tons of power? This would also make everything alot safer as well considering you won't have to use high drain batteries. So what I'm asking is why not use a coil head that is just as big as the ones coming out for these tanks only it is at 2ohms and using 30 gauge kanthal wire? This thread is for vapor production only so I'm not asking about flavor, juice requirement, etc.

It seems that the conversation that you had with someone was regarding using a regulated VW device set at 20W - you didn't specify that in the OP. For an unregulated mechanical mod where you cannot control the voltage or wattage, the resistance of your atomizer is what you need to adjust if you want to tailor the power of your vape. It's not clear to me if you don't realize this or if you just omitted to mention that you're only considering this with respect to regulated devices (which would be a good question).

ImaStarreVap3r

ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2015
SoCal
The lower resistance coil at a given watts will heat up much faster and run hotter than the other inevitably producing more vapor.

So the lower resistance coil just simply runs hotter which produces more vapor? If that's the case then why can't you just use a higher wattage with the higher resistance coil to get the same vapor production? My whole point to this post is to figure out if one necessarily needs to be vaping a .2 ohm coil at 75 watts to be getting lots of vapor production when they could be saving lots of power using a higher ohm coil.

Last edited:

ImaStarreVap3r

ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2015
SoCal
It seems that the conversation that you had with someone was regarding using a regulated VW device set at 20W - you didn't specify that in the OP. For an unregulated mechanical mod where you cannot control the voltage or wattage, the resistance of your atomizer is what you need to adjust if you want to tailor the power of your vape. It's not clear to me if you don't realize this or if you just omitted to mention that you're only considering this with respect to regulated devices (which would be a good question).

Yes, while using a regulated device.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
The lower resistance coil at a given watts will heat up much faster and run hotter than the other inevitably producing more vapor.

Faster vapor production not MORE. Takes more surface area to make MORE vapor. Problem is it takes more POWER to heat a large surface area. SOOO, We adjusts factors like, resistance, watts and volts on our mods and atomizers to optimize vapor and/or flavor production from our Vape.

ReigntheGamer

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2014
Faster vapor production not MORE. Takes more surface area to make MORE vapor. Problem is it takes more POWER to heat a large surface area. SOOO, We adjusts factors like, resistance, watts and volts on our mods and atomizers to optimize vapor and/or flavor production from our Vape.

But that wasn't the question, it was about three different coils at set wattages. Yes I am aware that you can get just as much vapor on a higher ohm coil by adjusting them.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Because of the difference in heat flux. The .2 ohm coil at a given watts is going to run much hotter than the 2 ohm coil.

BUT that .2ohm coil if the same gauge wire will be very small. So, even though cooler, the 2ohm coil having much more surface area may heat MORE juice. And very likely make more vapor.

astronomicals

Feb 5, 2015
My whole point to this post is to figure out if one necessarily needs to be vaping a .2 ohm coil at 75 watts to be getting lots of vapor production when they could be saving lots of power using a higher ohm coil.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ughts-about-sub-ohm-latest-vv-vw-devices.html

cheers

ETA: You wont save any power as long as your using the same wattage on a regulated mod (regardless of resistance). The amperage goes up as resistance goes down and voltage goes up and resistance goes up. Amperage X voltage=wattage, so, they'll always balance out giving you the same run time at any given wattage.

http://www.steam-engine.org/batt.asp?b=Samsung_INR18650-25R&mah=2500&c=8.8

Last edited:

ImaStarreVap3r

ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2015
SoCal
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ughts-about-sub-ohm-latest-vv-vw-devices.html

cheers

ETA: You wont save any power as long as your using the same wattage on a regulated mod (regardless of resistance). The amperage goes up as resistance goes down and voltage goes up and resistance goes up. Amperage X voltage=wattage, so, they'll always balance out giving you the same run time at any given wattage.

Battery drain | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

Thank you astronomicals. This is the best reply I've read so far in terms of answering the post. So just to be clear, what you are saying is if you have 2 identicle coil heads, only one is 2ohms and the other is .5ohms they will both require the same amount of wattage to produce the same amount of vapor?

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
P (power) = V(volts)*V/R(ohms).
So, at the same voltage we can increase power by reducing resistance (ohms). So came subohming.
Newer regulated systems can provide higher voltage than older mechanical mods.
However one benefit of low-ohm coil is that it works faster (easier to get it hot).
In the first approximation: yes, the same wattage should produce the same amount of vapor.
In the second approximation... You need to take in account wicking - I do not know for sure, but what if longer wicks for longer coils could not supply liquid as fast as shorter ones? What if longer coils obstruct chimney volume, reducing airflow (again, I do not know).

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
I just read the blog and its very true.
its amazing in the year I was gone how surface area being the driving factor in amount of production Seems to have been forgotten

This is also why I was surprised at the group mentality of brute forcing so much power into a bedspring , and how a regular ohm coil of some good ribbon wire (3x the surface at same guages) will very much achieve the same results with much less power required.

I left the dna 30 was juuust starting to end up in new mods. I came back and everyone is convinced it now takes 6 inches of wire and dozens of watts and everyones convinced mechs are dead becuase of it

I dont make the most extreme clouds but I walked into a shop the other day and got the strangest looks saying im running a .9 Ohm coil unregulated and still belting out some fog. They could not accept that much vapor from a lowly 22 ish watts lol the vapor is in the skill not the power settings

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread