RDA Veritas and derringer problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

RipCigs

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2015
Croatia
Heya,
So my FT 1:1 veritas and derringer just arrived. Put the same builds in both, .20mm kanthal wire 5 wraps at 1.9 ohms at 12W. The problems I'm having are:
Veritas: Hot top leg. It burns so much i taste the wire glowing (did so once, put wick on it, leaving it alone until i come up with the solution). Note, i put a single horizontal coil in.
Derringer: Too much airflow (MTL here). Basically, it seems that when the dual coil holes are closed, they are still not completely closed. Even when i close of ALL the holes, i still have airflow. Is this something i did wrong, is it normal for the derringer or is the 1:1 FT copy crap?

Any advices? Especially for the Veritas, I've heard so much good stuff about it and i can't get it to work right.
The current mod I'm using is a Vamo V5 (15w). sigelei 30 in the mail.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I used a single vertical coil in my Veritas, had no problems.

I agree with the Derringer being too airy; some well-meaning but unknowing people told me it could be closed down sufficiently for tootle puffing, but they were WRONG. I'm going to try using a driptip with a very small hole, one of those flat delrin types like those that used to come on egos; the hole looks to be no more than 2-3mm, so it's worth a shot. Otherwise I'll get zero use from my Derringer, which I bought for its stealthy low-profile. :grr:

Andria

Reactions: RipCigs

RipCigs

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2015
Croatia
I just made a coil with thicker wire for the Veritas. No hot legs anymore. Flavor is good, vapor production is more than expected. Though to be honest, the flavor isn't THAT good, i mean it's pretty much the same as my last no name dripper. Maybe I'm still doing something wrong, i don't know.
Here is a picture of the current build, not my finest work but..yeah :D PS, i realize I managed to put the coil upside down (thus creating unnecessary long legs), and it still isn't overheating.
IPlzF8w.jpg

The Derringer i closed all the airholes by wrapping tape over the outer ring (high tech engineering ftw), and poking small holes on the side. It works fine now, have to put a decent coil in it to try it out the right way. But the tape thing isn't really a solution is it :D

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
The Derringer i closed all the airholes by wrapping tape over the outer ring (high tech engineering ftw), and poking small holes on the side. It works fine now, have to put a decent coil in it to try it out the right way. But the tape thing isn't really a solution is it :D

Hmm.. I might try it, if the flat driptip doesn't make it tight enough for me. so you wrapped the tape around the outside of the top cap? or around the AFC ring?

Andria

RipCigs

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2015
Croatia
Hmm.. I might try it, if the flat driptip doesn't make it tight enough for me. so you wrapped the tape around the outside of the top cap? or around the AFC ring?

Andria

Around the top cap (the part with two slits), then aligned them as if for a single coil and used a needle to poke holes in the tape until the flow was to my liking ^^

BTW, how do you position your coil on the veritas? As in, how far from the air hole, centered or a little higher..?
Or have you always done verticals?

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Around the top cap (the part with two slits), then aligned them as if for a single coil and used a needle to poke holes in the tape until the flow was to my liking ^^

BTW, how do you position your coil on the veritas? As in, how far from the air hole, centered or a little higher..?
Or have you always done verticals?

Ok that's cool, I have a black derringer, so i could use black electrical tape, probably would barely show.

I've only done the one vertical in the Veritas since I got it -- only vertical I've ever done. It was ok, but unfortunately I wicked it with rayon (so it would flow upward more easily!) but around that same time, I decided that I really loathe the taste of rayon. So I put a plain ol horizontal in it, which is about 1.4Ω, 29ga, probably 6 wraps; it's centered right in front of the airhole, and it's nearly middle of the airhole vertically too. I wasn't terribly impressed to be honest. Now that I have some KGD and Shiseido, I might try another vertical in it; that stuff wicks as well as rayon, and tastes a lot better. :D

I'm no sort of cloud chaser at all; really I could barely give a rip if there's any vapor at all; I'm after FLAVOR (and throat hit!), and the Magma beats both of them. But I'm thinking seriously on that Achilles. Once we know what the end of May check looks like (Monday), I'll know if there is enough budgetary leeway to allow it. Our property taxes went up, which means a) the county just gave us $24,000 in equity, and b) the escrow portion of our mortgage payments has gone up. It won't wipe us out or anything, but it will reduce the leeway.

Andria

RipCigs

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2015
Croatia
Ok that's cool, I have a black derringer, so i could use black electrical tape, probably would barely show.

I've only done the one vertical in the Veritas since I got it -- only vertical I've ever done. It was ok, but unfortunately I wicked it with rayon (so it would flow upward more easily!) but around that same time, I decided that I really loathe the taste of rayon. So I put a plain ol horizontal in it, which is about 1.4Ω, 29ga, probably 6 wraps; it's centered right in front of the airhole, and it's nearly middle of the airhole vertically too. I wasn't terribly impressed to be honest. Now that I have some KGD and Shiseido, I might try another vertical in it; that stuff wicks as well as rayon, and tastes a lot better. :D

I'm no sort of cloud chaser at all; really I could barely give a rip if there's any vapor at all; I'm after FLAVOR (and throat hit!), and the Magma beats both of them. But I'm thinking seriously on that Achilles. Once we know what the end of May check looks like (Monday), I'll know if there is enough budgetary leeway to allow it. Our property taxes went up, which means a) the county just gave us $24,000 in equity, and b) the escrow portion of our mortgage payments has gone up. It won't wipe us out or anything, but it will reduce the leeway.

Andria

So we pretty much prefer the same vape :)
Also need that throat hit and flavor, i see clouds as a fun "for show" aspect.
This coil turned out 1.3 ohms, wicked with KGD. For now it's working nicely, still not really IMPRESSED with it, but it's good. If there is someone who has more experience with this thing, please point me to a build that it really shines with!
I wanna try and fix up the Derringer now, but its 1:30 in the morning and gotta go to work in a couple hours :/
As for expanding the collection, I think i'm done with that for now (as soon as the sigelei arrives). One kanger tank, one bottom airflow dripper, one side, veritas and derringer should be enough for anything i need ^^

PS just switched to my DIY 12mg 100%VG flavor arts Nougat juice. It's amazing :D

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
So we pretty much prefer the same vape :)
Also need that throat hit and flavor, i see clouds as a fun "for show" aspect.
This coil turned out 1.3 ohms, wicked with KGD. For now it's working nicely, still not really IMPRESSED with it, but it's good. If there is someone who has more experience with this thing, please point me to a build that it really shines with!
I wanna try and fix up the Derringer now, but its 1:30 in the morning and gotta go to work in a couple hours :/
As for expanding the collection, I think i'm done with that for now (as soon as the sigelei arrives). One kanger tank, one bottom airflow dripper, one side, veritas and derringer should be enough for anything i need ^^

PS just switched to my DIY 12mg 100%VG flavor arts Nougat juice. It's amazing :D

You might try out the Tootle Puffer thread -- lots of us in there who like the moderate style of vaping, but also build coils for all kinds of attys. Someone might be able to recommend something better.

Andria

xpen

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2012
Italy
Hi, with the Veritas any wire thinner than 26g (0.4mm) will tend to cause hot legs, especially the upper one.
Of course you'll need a bit of power to drive the thicker wire, some 10-12W minimum I'd think.
On the other hand, also its 3mm dia air hole calls for that, low power vaping on the Veritas results in anemic vapor (too much airflow)

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Hi, with the Veritas any wire thinner than 26g (0.4mm) will tend to cause hot legs, especially the upper one.
Of course you'll need a bit of power to drive the thicker wire, some 10-12W minimum I'd think.
On the other hand, also its 3mm dia air hole calls for that, low power vaping on the Veritas results in anemic vapor (too much airflow)

Yeah, I position the top cap so that only a tiny edge of the airhole is showing... works great to make a nice tootle puff.

I use 29ga for my coils, fatter wire is too slow for me. Haven't seen any hot legs in the Veritas, though.

Andria

xpen

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2012
Italy
I'm used to long pulls and double draws, that may explain the hot leg I used to get ;)
Another trick is to push the wick against the legs, especially the upper one, so that the wire won't get any chance to overheat. For vertical builds, that is.
For horizontal builds you can lay some extra wick material over the coil, just above the air hole, so that it gets squeezed between the upper leg and the Veritas wall.
Unfortunately I've got no pics to show, hope the description to be clear enough..

Last edited:

RipCigs

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2015
Croatia
Also, slow reaction with thicker wire is depending on what you're using the Veritas on.. I mostly use it on mechs, usually around 0.7 ohm, and it's quite responsive even with 25g wire.
Rebuilding it is a bit uncomfortable though, it takes more time and patience than most other atomizers I own.

Hey, i tried the wick under the leg as a first resort when i noticed the glow, but that constricted the airflow and kinda belittled the veritas' purpose. I'm firing it at max 15w atm, it is now working well. As for rebuilding, i've had time to watch plenty of videos by the time FT delivered it so it was done in a couple of minutes, less hassle than i thought it would be (hence the "beautiful" coil in the pic above). I'm gonna have to give the vertical a go after i'm done with this coil! Do you notice a difference between the same coils in vertical an horizontal positions?

xpen

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2012
Italy
I prefer the horizontal build for flavor - possibly also because of the 'flavor wick' over the coil - while vertical builds, having only one strand of wick in the well (upper one cut flush with the positive nuts) leave more chamber room for clouds.
The horizontal coil keeps up better with long draws for me.
Forgot to mention: I'm waiting for a Derringer (clone), by coincidence [emoji2]

RipCigs

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2015
Croatia
I prefer the horizontal build for flavor - possibly also because of the 'flavor wick' over the coil - while vertical builds, having only one strand of wick in the well (upper one cut flush with the positive nuts) leave more chamber room for clouds.
The horizontal coil keeps up better with long draws for me.
Forgot to mention: I'm waiting for a Derringer (clone), by coincidence [emoji2]

As i've said, the Derringer had way too much airflow for a nice MTL (for me), so i put two straps of tape over the slits and poked the holes. I just put the same build in it as in the veritas and it's great, i'd even say the cocoa is a bit more expressed in it than in the veritas :)
Less vapor though (smaller clouds), if you find that important, but this may very well be to the restricted airflow.
Oh, and I haven't tried putting a blanket over the coil if that's what you mean by flavor wick. Will give that a go!

RipCigs

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2015
Croatia
Yes, that's it. Just another smaller wick over the coil, with its legs just reaching the main wick legs
Wait, if the top blanket isn't in contact with the other piece of cotton, how does it wick? I mean i assume i'd have to drop on it much or often then right?

Oh and i take back the vapor production remark on the derringer. With a bit more airflow, tons of vapor ^^

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread