Voltages, Watts and Cartomizer Resistances

Status
Not open for further replies.

librarob1987

Feb 2, 2012
Long Pond, PA
I have a question involving Voltages, Watts and Cartomizer Resistances.
My question is "Say I wanted to have say 6 watts and I had all the correct voltages for the all the cartomizers below would I have the exact same vaping experience for all carts?"
1.5 ohm - 3 Volts
1.7 ohm - 3.19374 Volts
2.0 ohm - 3.4641 Volts
2.5 ohm - 3.87298 Volts
3.0 ohm - 4.24264 Volts
I'm not saying 6 is my sweet spot i'm just using that as an example. I'm just curious if I would get the exact throat hit, flavor, vapor & would the e-liquid burn the same way for all carts?

readeuler

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2014
Ohio, USA
No, it won't be exactly the same even though the wattages are.

A 1.5 ohm coil has to be pretty different from a 3.0 ohm coil; the 3.0 ohm coil is either much larger (so the 6 watts aren't as effective) or made of much thinner wire (in which case you would expect the temperature of the coil to get much higher). Even two coils that are both 1.5 ohm coils can provide drastically different experiences.

There are surely situations in which 6 watts would be pretty similar on a variety of coils, but I wouldn't say for certain that they'll be even be similar, let alone exactly the same.

Jovey

Jan 24, 2015
within my own thoughts....
I'm using a nautilus mini and my mod is showing 1.7 ohms, however...i've got the volts set on 4.5 and i don't mess with the wattage because i'm assuming it will adjust automatically according to what i set my volts on and visa versa....is that correct? I know that's probably pushing the coil to the limit at 4.5 volts, but anything lower doesn't give me the flavor or throat hit i enjoy. So if i set it on 3.19 volts as you listed in the chart, i would be going back to analogs lol

would love to hear what more experienced vapors say about hitting the volts out at 4.5 on a 1.7 ohm tank....am i gonna see a fire soon? haha

DualChamber

Verified Member
Sep 8, 2010
NC
You got it backwards. Assuming a properly functioning VW, regulated mod, set the wattage to a level that provides you a pleasant vape. The mod should adjust voltage, as needed, to maintain your wattage setting.

When you set a specific voltage, your mod will supply that voltage to your atomizer. Nothing else goes on behind the scene.

librarob1987

Feb 2, 2012
Long Pond, PA
Last edited:

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
I'm gonna assume you are definately a full flavor smoker
almost 12 watts Geez
Above 8.5 thats is supposed to be damaging according to a power chart I just found
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffbrint/7271087994/lightbox/
I have been using this site to figure out the math
Ohm's Law / Watt's Law Calculator

That chart was developed many years ago when vapers were using cartomizers and single coils. It's pretty much obsolete when using today's hardware. For example, I regularly vape at:

1. 15-17 watts when I am using a Nautilus with a 1.6 ohm stock BVC coil using an iStick 20 watt mod.
2. 35-40 watts when using an Atlantis with a 0.5 ohm stock coil using a IPV2S 70 watt mod.
3. 63-80 watts when using an RDA with a 0.22-0.28 ohm dual coils using a mechanical mod (and a Sony 30A battery)

No dry hits, great wicking and airflow control. I use the Steam Engine suite of calculators for Ohm's Law, coil wrapping/heat flux and battery drain.

Last edited:

Jovey

Jan 24, 2015
within my own thoughts....
That chart was developed many years ago when vapers were using cartomizers and single coils. It's pretty much obsolete when using today's hardware. For example, I regularly vape at:

1. 15-17 watts when I am using a Nautilus with a 1.6 ohm stock coil using an iStick 20 watt mod.
2. 35-40 watts when using an Atlantis with a 0.5 ohm stock coil using a IPV2S 70 watt mod.
3. 63-80 watts when using an RDA with a 0.22-0.28 ohm dual coils using a mechanical mod (and a Sony 30A battery)

No dry hits, great wicking and airflow control. I use the Steam Engine suite of calculators for Ohm's Law, coil wrapping/heat flux and battery drain.

Wow, i can't wait to get my iStick! :) It can safely go that high in watts on a 1.6 ohm coil without burning it out? I bet you're getting some good tasting vape in on that. Yeah, i probably will shorten my coil life by setting mine on 4.5 volts/8 watts....but that's the only setting where i can get a good vape and throat hit that i want. I really think the higher wattage mods is the way to go, even for newbies who are looking for that throat hit and get the most out of their vaping experience.

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Wow, i can't wait to get my iStick! :) It can safely go that high in watts on a 1.6 ohm coil without burning it out?
No problems for me. I occasionally have to cover the air hole and blow into the drip tip if I am chain vaping. Here is Matt (Suck My Mod) vaping at 18 watts using a mini Nautilus and a rDNA 30 mod.

[edited]

Last edited by a moderator:

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Well now that has my curiousity up. Would i be safe by taking my wattage up to 9.0 on my MVP at 1.7 ohms? I'm using a Nautilus mini also. Going now to watch the vid.
You are using a regulated mod so you will be safe from a battery standpoint no matter how high you go. As far as dry hits, just go up little by little until you start to get a dry hit and then back it down a notch or two and continue to vape.

Are you using the BVC's? I can push those higher than I could the BDC's.

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Well Susan I don't mean to sound outdated but I'll only use Slim Kr808D Equipment.
I used to smoke slim 120s Cigarettes I'm not looking to vape out a Mammoth Cigar Light Saber Thing.
I am trying to educate myself on what I'm researching because the technology of the slim batteries could change in the future.
Absolutely nothing wrong with that!

Just wanted to let you know that vaping above 8.5 watts is not dangerous (depending on the hardware you use). I've been vaping for almost nine years (started in 2006) so I have used a little of everything and modded all of it. Here's my first e-cigarette.

2006 E-Cigarette.jpg

I what way do you see the technology of the slim batteries changing? What is going to change?

Last edited:

librarob1987

Feb 2, 2012
Long Pond, PA
I am trying to figure out how to recreate the different types of cigarettes like Non Filter, Full Flavor, Medium, Light, Ultra Light but using the Volts and Ohms for the drag. This is not about nicotine levels I already know them.
But Lets Hypothetically say
2.0 Ohm (Non-Filter)(36MG)
2.0 Ohm (Full Flavor King)(24MG)
2.5 Ohm (Full Flavor 100's)(24MG)
2.5 Ohm (Lights King)(18MG)
3.0 Ohm (Lights100s)(18MG)
2.5 Ohm (Ultra Light Kings)(11MG)
3.0 Ohm (Ultra Light 100s)(11MG)

Now what do you feel is the perfect Voltage to make what I put on here correct to be able to vape all carts?
I see alot of 3.7V 4.2V as far as the KR808 Batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread