Status
Not open for further replies.

vaperature

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Chicago
I've been reading about e-cigarettes and I keep coming across information from respectable mainstream media outlets that seems to me to be rather dubious. Granted, I'm new to vaping—still trying out my Fling Minis before thinking about getting my first actual kit—so some of what I've been reading has made me curious. The main claim I keep seeing repeated is that electronic cigarettes have anti-freeze in them, but I have also read that all e-cigarettes are made in China, that e-cigarettes don't lable the packages with a list of ingredients (all the ones I've tried do), that nicotine causes cancer and that e-cigs are actually MORE dangerous than analogs for one reason or another (usually the article gets vague about this even though making the claim).

Is any of this even remotely true, and if not, why would mainstream media report what seems to me to possibly be blatant lies (propaganda) and how can they legally get away with that (spreading slander)??

Penn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2013
In the wilderness
Yes it is true. Two stories on this.

It contains propylene glycol which is a NON-TOXIC antifreeze commonly used to de-ice planes before flight.

Second is the early days of vaping in the US. The FDA randomly grabbed some cartridges (that is all that was available then) and tested them. I think it was 2 or 3 of the 14 had minute trace amounts of "the other" type of antifreeze but within tolerance for other products. That hasn't been found since.

Penn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2013
In the wilderness
None of that is true of products now. My ProVari is made here in the USA, liquid lists the ingredients (PG, VG, flavoring, and nicotine). A lot of the negativity is from people protecting their interests in BT and/or BP.

Read my previous post. PG is used as antifreeze but it is non-toxic. It is important for us to have accurate information.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Electronic Cigarette FAQS

Some background information on e-cigs is necessary. Understand that certain groups would benefit if e-cigarettes were to be banned. The powerful pharmaceutical industry would like nothing better than to see them banned because e-cigs are direct competition to products like Nicotine gum, patches, lozenges and prescription medications like Chantix. Instead of allowing free competition, they have been funding anti-smoking groups like ANTZ to spread myths that e-cigarettes have harmful ingredients, use anti-freeze in the juices, and that they cause cancer.

The e-liquids in e-cigarettes includes liquid nicotine, propyline glycol, and vegetable glycerine. The Pg and Vg are FDA approved substances and found in a variety of over the counter products used every day by most people.

Zealous

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2012
Texas
Propylene glycol is used as an antifreeze in things like food processing systems & water pipes in homes, basically places where possible ingestion might occur. It's used in these placed BECAUSE of it's non-toxicity. It's also in some processed foods like ice cream & some baked goods. It's also in products like Biotene which is a mouth wash used for dry mouth & is suggested to be good for your teeth & gums.

Last edited:

Chas F.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2013
Colorado
Yes it is true. Two stories on this.

It contains propylene glycol which is a NON-TOXIC antifreeze commonly used to de-ice planes before flight.

Second is the early days of vaping in the US. The FDA randomly grabbed some cartridges (that is all that was available then) and tested them. I think it was 2 or 3 of the 14 had minute trace amounts of "the other" type of antifreeze but within tolerance for other products. That hasn't been found since.

It was 1 of 18 that had trace amounts of dactyl glycol and it's been cited every time an anti wants to stir the pot against e-cigs. Propolyne glycol is added to anti-freeze to make it less toxic. There is a lot of information available on the CASAA website and links further down the main page of ECF. Arm yourself with knowledge.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
PG, propylene glycol, a common ingredient in liquids for vaping, is also used as an anti freeze. It is also used as a carrier for disinfecting air handling systems in places like hospitals. It is also used as a carrier for medication in inhalation therapy. One more use is as what makes the "fog" for fog machines at concerts and in movies. Propylene glycol is GRAS, generally regarded as safe, by the Food and Drug Administration, the FDA.

VG, vegetable glycerin, is also GRAS by the FDA as an inhalant as well as a food additive.

Nicotine is addictive, but the jury is still out regarding how carcinogenic it may be from what I have seen, so far. It is a vasoconstrictor and can raise blood pressure, but the medical community seems to regard it as similar to caffeine only more addictive. Many food, such as tomatoes and potatoes contain nicotine in small amounts.

Most of the flavorings used are also FDA approved food grade liquids. There is some reason to be careful with where they come from and what they may contain.

The media seems to be siding with the idea of controlling vaping in the same manner as cigarettes or prescription drugs. Whether this is simply a government control issue or related to big tobacco is another question.

For a reasonable evaluation of vaping have a look at CASSA and the study done by Drexel University - CASAA - The Consumer Advocates for Smoke-free Alternatives Association

Debra_oh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Cleveland, OH
CASAA has a lot of great information that can help to dispel the misinformation or out right lies that are out there about e-cigs.

Keep in mind that mainstream media often just reports information that they get from other sources. The days of fact checking and true journalism are mostly in the past.

Learn About Electronic Cigarettes

EvilZoe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
Savoir-Faire is everywhere!
PG, propylene glycol, a common ingredient in liquids for vaping, is also used as an anti freeze. It is also used as a carrier for disinfecting air handling systems in places like hospitals. It is also used as a carrier for medication in inhalation therapy. One more use is as what makes the "fog" for fog machines at concerts and in movies. Propylene glycol is GRAS, generally regarded as safe, by the Food and Drug Administration, the FDA.

VG, vegetable glycerin, is also GRAS by the FDA as an inhalant as well as a food additive.

Nicotine is addictive, but the jury is still out regarding how carcinogenic it may be from what I have seen, so far. It is a vasoconstrictor and can raise blood pressure, but the medical community seems to regard it as similar to caffeine only more addictive. Many food, such as tomatoes and potatoes contain nicotine in small amounts.

Most of the flavorings used are also FDA approved food grade liquids. There is some reason to be careful with where they come from and what they may contain.

The media seems to be siding with the idea of controlling vaping in the same manner as cigarettes or prescription drugs. Whether this is simply a government control issue or related to big tobacco is another question.

For a reasonable evaluation of vaping have a look at CASSA and the study done by Drexel University - CASAA - The Consumer Advocates for Smoke-free Alternatives Association

The MAIN problem with the media is that they aren't investigating the topic in even a remotely thorough way. They're just barely investigating at all and pushing out the hyped up stories in order to gin up ratings. The scarier it all sounds, the better to draw viewers in.

It's revolting the lack of actual reporting going on in ANY subject these days. The news is no longer a good place to get actual NEWS.

Penn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2013
In the wilderness
It was 1 of 18 that had trace amounts of dactyl glycol and it's been cited every time an anti wants to stir the pot against e-cigs. Propolyne glycol is added to anti-freeze to make it less toxic. There is a lot of information available on the CASAA website and links further down the main page of ECF. Arm yourself with knowledge.

I mis-phrased that. 2 or 3 had low levels of stuff that isn't supposed to be there and you are right, only 1 had ethylene glycol. I did say "something like" for a reason. Exact numbers weren't relevant in my mind, just the overall truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread