What do you guys think about clone mods and devices?

Status
Not open for further replies.

abstractcousin

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2013
Thousand Oaks, CA
Hey guys, So i have been into vaping for almost about 2 years and i just got into collecting mods for something other than function. i bought the all brass king when it came out, only to find a bunch of clones come out shortly after with better connetions and a far lower price. I also baught a gold trident when it came out only to see a bunch of clones come out a bit later. I just bought an all brass Poldiac about a week ago (extremely happy with it!!!) and i herd that there are now poldiac clones available.

I dont necesarrily know how to think about it, but i was pretty disapointed when the King mod clones came out, because they started selling them at my local shop and the king sort of lost its value and everyone just assumes that i have the clone and that i didnt spend the time and money to support a company that made a mod that i respect. I dont know if i was just stupid for buying an authentic King and paying all that money on something that isnt worth the money in its raw material form, or if it is wrong that people are making clones that look pretty much exactly like the real thing with the exact same logos and everything.

the only thing that kind of frustrates me about the situation is that people are selling and buying these clones without any shame at all. i was so suprised to see the local shop that i would expect to be interested in quality and authenticity, selling knock off fake mods. in my opinion, it is a little trashy and i hate to see the vape seen go into this direction. its just like a fake louis vuittons or fake jordans.

if you like the mod, you sould support the people who put time into making it, not by buying a fake copy. i just hope that this sort of thing turns into a faux-pas. i mean, i cant even look at the nemisis, the chi you, the sentinal, or the king the same any more!

I dont know guys, sorry, im kind of ranting, but these are my thoughts. what do you think?

FT-KingModBrassLion.jpg

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
  • Deleted by Caridwen
  • Reason: save the snark

OlDogNewTricks

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2013
Venice, FL
Clones, not counterfeits, don't bother me at all. After all, none of this is new. It is all variations on a theme. I've seen many cars that remind me of Porsches, yet they still sell. Someone makes a Porsche with the logos and they'll have Hell to pay. It is the intellectual property that is unique to the company. Just my two cents, I agree with Thrasher's comment wholeheartedly. Good luck and have fun!

Brusky

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2013
PNW
People love exclusivity. In my opinion these clones destroys the exclusivity of the original, which makes the original some what less desirable.

If everyone has a Nemesis/Chi you/etc clone that looks exactly like the original, it makes the original less exclusive to use/showoff because people cant tell the difference between the two and everyone has one or the other.

Although the clones may not hurt sales, when you hear about a Nemesis or Chi You, it just does not have the wow factor no more.

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
There are probably 50 makers of ego type batteries but only 1 original. DO you see anyone complaining about the clones of the original ego? Is it the cost of an original mech that makes people yell about clones? I really don't get it. Be happy with the original you bought because you wanted an original. Others make different choices.

I am at the point with most things where I am getting originals because the QUALITY is just better. I really don't care if someone else thinks its a clone. That said I do own some clone devices I used those as a cheap way to see if I liked the device well enough to then go out and get the better quality real deal at the higher price. Sorry I just don't have the budget to take a 200 dollar risk on something I might not like.

Brusky

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2013
PNW
There are probably 50 makers of ego type batteries but only 1 original. DO you see anyone complaining about the clones of the original ego? Is it the cost of an original mech that makes people yell about clones? I really don't get it. Be happy with the original you bought because you wanted an original. Others make different choices.

I am at the point with most things where I am getting originals because the QUALITY is just better. I really don't care if someone else thinks its a clone. That said I do own some clone devices I used those as a cheap way to see if I liked the device well enough to then go out and get the better quality real deal at the higher price. Sorry I just don't have the budget to take a 200 dollar risk on something I might not like.

I don't think I've ever heard about people buying clones to test the waters, that sounds a bit misleading (or can't think of the word). In that case if you don't like the clone you don't buy the original because you were not happy with the clone. And if you were happy with the clone why pay $200+ that you did not have to buy the original, when it looks just like the clone that you are happy with?

And at the same time the reason you would buy the clone is because you want the original, but don't want to pay the price. Ego batteries are another story, and don't fall in the same line.

I am just saying people love exclusive items, especially in hobbies. Of course this is just my opinion. :2c:

JulesXsmokr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2013
Hurricane Alley, FL. USA
When you make a look alike and put the original makers name and even serial numbers on something you didn't originally produce and do not have the rights to produce it authentically, you have a counterfeit piece. That's worse than a clone...
Even though we know its done all the time now in the e-cig market, it does not make it legit..if you are buying a counterfeit piece you are contributing to thievery. Plain and simple...

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
I don't think I've ever heard about people buying clones to test the waters, that sounds a bit misleading (or can't think of the word). In that case if you don't like the clone you don't buy the original because you were not happy with the clone. And if you were happy with the clone why pay $200+ that you did not have to buy the original, when it looks just like the clone that you are happy with?

And at the same time the reason you would buy the clone is because you want the original, but don't want to pay the price. Ego batteries are another story, and don't fall in the same line.

I am just saying people love exclusive items, especially in hobbies. Of course this is just my opinion. :2c:

I buy the clone and if I like it I get the original FOR THE QUALITY. Think of it this way. I have a physical disability that means my hand strength is not good. I can pick up a clone and get a pretty good idea if I can even use the thing. If I can and I like it I will get the original to use everyday and the clone goes in the vapocalypse box as a backup.

No I do not thing an ego is a different thing at all. SOMEONE did the original one. It would be just as much a crime against them as a fancy mod being cloned. Principal is identical.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
(edited comment)

I dont necesarrily know how to think about it, but i was pretty disapointed when the King mod clones came out, because they started selling them at my local shop and the king sort of lost its value and everyone just assumes that i have the clone and that i didnt spend the time and money to support a company that made a mod that i respect. I dont know if i was just stupid for buying an authentic King and paying all that money on something that isnt worth the money in its raw material form, or if it is wrong that people are making clones that look pretty much exactly like the real thing with the exact same logos and everything.

if you like the mod, you sould support the people who put time into making it, not by buying a fake copy. i just hope that this sort of thing turns into a faux-pas. i mean, i cant even look at the nemisis, the chi you, the sentinal, or the king the same any more!

the only thing that kind of frustrates me about the situation is that people are selling and buying these clones without any shame at all.

Seems Op knows exactly how he/she feels.
Just another Fuel Thread to fire people up.

As to Spending - I spend my money the way I see fit and there is no shame in that. I earned every penny.

Last edited by a moderator:

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
When you make a look alike and put the original makers name and even serial numbers on something you didn't originally produce and do not have the rights to produce it authentically, you have a counterfeit piece. That's worse than a clone...
Even though we know its done all the time now in the e-cig market, it does not make it legit..if you are buying a counterfeit piece you are contributing to thievery. Plain and simple...

But But the originals are so expensive! I have a right to own a forgery! Its the greedy modders fault for not making enough, and pricing them so high. All of us cant afford the real thing so its ok to support thieves besides some of the forgery's work better. I am entitled to what ever I want no matter the consequences I, I, I,

Theres no patent, everything is a clone, The Chinese invented the ecig so everyone is ripping them off so its ok if we help them rip off everyone else.

I think that about covers what the forgery defenders usually say oops forgot my favorite one highend mods are elitist keeping the regular vapor down:blink:

SmellYaLaterCigs

ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2013
United States
OP, have you ever complained at your local grocery store about the store-brand soda? It's a clone of Coca-cola but no one seems to be outraged about it. What about "polo shirts" that don't have the horse logo? Same shirt but not the name-brand, do you get in people's faces who don't wear the authentic version?

"Knock-offs" are standard in most consumer industries. Congrats to you if you want to support the original creator but this issue doesn't only affecting vaping and you shouldn't feel immoral about buying a clone, society has deemed it acceptable. Personally my loyalty lies with the better deal assuming two products are identical.

Brusky

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2013
PNW
OP, have you ever complained at your local grocery store about the store-brand soda? It's a clone of Coca-cola but no one seems to be outraged about it. What about "polo shirts" that don't have the horse logo? Same shirt but not the name-brand, do you get in people's faces who don't wear the authentic version?

"Knock-offs" are standard in most consumer industries. Congrats to you if you want to support the original creator but this issue doesn't only affecting vaping and you shouldn't feel immoral about buying a clone, society has deemed it acceptable. Personally my loyalty lies with the better deal assuming two products are identical.

Unless that store brand soda said coca cola and looked exactly like the coca cola cans with coca cola's branding, it's not the same situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

scalewiz

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2011
  • Deleted by Caridwen
  • Reason: Not joking-save the snark

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Unless that store brand soda said coca cola and looked exactly like the coca cola cans with coca cola's branding, it's not the same situation.

May as well be. The same arguments were going on 3-4 months ago before all the artwork started being added.

I have a Sigelei #20 - looks sort of like a roller, but Not an exact copy. Telescoping tube. different end cap with totally different(Junky) Switch assembly. SIGELEI clearly emblazoned on the Mod. Yet I still got the Ripoff, knock-off arguments.
Same Mess with the KTS Storm...........OH MY GGTS CLONE.....yea, Not even. I will agree they both have a side button.:)

The point is, there is no longer a point to be made. they have all been made, many many times. Yet someone bored with life will start one more clone/copy/counterfeit thread just to sucker everyone back into fighting with each other.

I carry an eVic in public. What I choose to use and do inside the 4 walls of my home is my business and not the concern of some phantom identity on the internet.

abstractcousin

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2013
Thousand Oaks, CA
Clones, not counterfeits, don't bother me at all. After all, none of this is new. It is all variations on a theme. I've seen many cars that remind me of Porsches, yet they still sell. Someone makes a Porsche with the logos and they'll have Hell to pay. It is the intellectual property that is unique to the company. Just my two cents, I agree with Thrasher's comment wholeheartedly. Good luck and have fun!

sorry yea, the clones are cool i guess, but the counterfeit mods like the ones made by hcigar are the ones im talking about. like the sigieli caravela clones are cool because they arent exactly like the mod and they werent made to look like the actual caravela. im talking about the ones with fake serial numbers and the brand logo and everything on them. idk it just kind of bothers me.

Brusky

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2013
PNW
You are confusing counterfeits with clones.

Not necessarily. I never said the clones available are all counterfeits. Although they borderline are with the only thing preventing it from being a counterfeit is if they sold it as the real deal.

Honestly I don't like the cloning that's going on, but again that's just my opinion. I just wish they would differentiate the clones from the originals a bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread