What Do You Guys Think? Battle of The Coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonkeyTokes

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
May 12, 2014
Collegeville, PA
So I just ordered two Nemesis Mods, a Black Hawk Panzer, Big Dripper RDTA and some batteries, charger, and so on.

This will be my first experience bellow .8ohms so I've got a few questions.

1. Can you use ICR batteries in a mod? I read mixed answers. What about with a smok vape fuse?

2.What is best for rebuilding? I know it's subjective, but I've been thinking about getting some SS mesh for my RDA (not a genesis). Right now I just use cotton but lately I feel like I can taste it, though it's gotten a bit better since I switched brands but still I'm health conscious and most cotton balls at the store don't sag unbleached or w.e and there's no way of boiling everything out if there is chemicals you don't want in it.

What about wire? Kanthal A1, nichrome, braided, flat, no resistance wire, ribbon, some magical metal blend for the best sub ohm vaping that's like $2 a foot. You get the point, that coupled with, SS mesh, .... cotton pads, cotton yarn, braided cotton wick, silica wick, ekowool, etc. There are so many options, too many for me to try them all especially since its not at all economical to buy 3 feet of a wick or wire when 100 ft is maybe triple the price!

readeuler

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2014
Ohio, USA
Ahoy there, Mr. Monkey.

I cannot recommend ICR batteries, as they're not safe chemistry. They have a propensity to go 'boom' if something goes wrong, unlike safer chemistry IMR batteries, which typically just 'fizzle'. I'll edit my post to include a link to Baditude's list of good battery choices. Personally at the moment, I'm using Samsung 25R, although LG HE2 batteries are great as well, both some kind of IMR/hybrid/safer chemistry.

I've never messed with steel mesh. I know what you mean by cotton taste, and it is a problem with the organic cotton balls you can get about anywhere. I use cellucotton rayon from Sally Beauty, and it works beyond great, for me. Many people also use some kind of Japanese cotton: Koh Gen Do, Shiseido, Muji, etc.

For wire, I've always stuck with good old Kanthal A1 round wire, tried and true. Many people use round Nichrome, but I have yet to. Anything besides Kanthal A1 tends to have a lower resistance by the cm, and I just don't need lower resistance, quite frankly :)

There are a ton of choices out there, you're right! I've dealt with it by choosing some standard stuff, perhaps changing it up if I'm bored/unhappy. It hasn't happened yet, so there's that!

Welcome to ECF, I hope you enjoy the gear and the forum!

ETA: here's the link http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blogs/baditude/4848-9-battery-basics-mods-imr-protected.html

It's a bit old, and doesn't reflect all the current choices like Xtar, Imren, etc. Also the gold standard, the VTC series, are quite hard to come by. Lots of fakes, so I avoid them personally.

A good 20A battery is good down to 0.21 ohms, while a 30A can take you down to 0.14. For a measly 0.07 ohms, I don't think it's worth the risk for a potential fake/misrepresented battery! Not to mention, I haven't even gone down to 0.21 ohms...

Last edited:

MonkeyTokes

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
May 12, 2014
Collegeville, PA
Thanks a lot for the info! I suppose youre right, cotton and Kanthal do the job for me, I just don't like feeling like I may be missing out :p

Looks like I'll be ordering different batteries.it seems like there are a ton of fake vaping batteries in general. I saw a few ultrafires wrapped in panasonic plastic, cake aw IMRs, and of course VTC4/5S. And my B&M store wants something like $80 for a 15 nitrcore charger and two vtc4s :(

Cory Troutman

Dec 8, 2014
Ohio, USA
I dont know enough about IMR batteries to say anything about that but im sure they answered that question. I personally have 2 VTC5s that I use and since they are hard to find without it being a clone and probably unsafe im actually looking for some new batteries to add to my collection. And i use standard cotton balls (I need to boil them out to be smarter lol) and as far as wire i have a 250ft spool of 24g Kanthal that i picked up for 16 dollars.

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Based on your battery question I take it you are fairly new to mech mods and rebuildables. I highly recommend you spend some time with Baditude (one of our resident battery experts) and visit his blogs. Make sure you purchase an ohm reader and a voltmeter or DMM so you can measure your builds, check for shorts and measure the remaining charge on your batteries.

Baditudes Blogs. The blogs regarding mods and rebuildables are listed below:

BATTERIES

9. Battery Basics for Mods: IMR or Protected ICR?
* Another essential read to understand which batteries are safe to use in mechanical and regulated mods. Includes a frequently updated list of recommended safe-chemistry, high-drain batteries with their specifications.

17. Purple Efest Batteries Not As Advertised
* A cautionary blog that reveals that the purple Efest batteries may not have the specifications advertised. Also includes a commentary on "continuous discharge ratings" vs "pulse discharge ratings" of battery specs.

OHM'S LAW

14. Ohm's Law for Dummies (Vapers)
* My attempt at explaining Ohm's Law in layman terms and how it relates to vaping.

16. Explain it to the Dumb Noob: Ohm's Law Calculations
* As simple as it is to use, some people have a tough time grasping the concept. Warning: Includes graphic photos of mod explosions.

MECHANICAL MODS & REBUILDABLES

7. Information Resources for Your First RBA
* An essential read and reference guide for someone new to rebuilding coils. Includes a multitude of useful links on battery safety, mod safety, coil meters, coil building, and the differences in the three types of RBA's.

15. Inexpensive Mechanical Mod and RDA Setup
* A response to the frequently asked question on how to get into rebuildable atomizers with a mechanical mod inexpensively. Includes a list of commonly used tools and supplies for rebuilding and where to find them.

BATTERIES - WHERE TO BUY

Only buy batteries from a reputable supplier (not ebay or Amazon) as there are many counterfeit batteries being sold. Here are several reputable battery suppliers in the US.

* RTD Vapor
* Illumination Supply
* Lighthound
* Orbtronics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread