What does a short mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikita Marinko

Jul 14, 2015
The good coils I made today read 1,6 ohms and 2,3 ohms. I vape the lower one at 4V and the other one at 4,8V and they seem fine.
Im obviously asking cuz I dont want the battery to explode in my hands.
I need an adapter for egos for the ohm meter I got. I place it there by hand and it switches randomly here and there until finally settling at one for a couple tries.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
So in a sense if it finds a way somehow to travel in less resistance, there will be more power output?
A short circuit has extremely low resistance, meaning the current has a stronger flow than the components were designed to handle. Consequently, the affected area can overheat or even generate an arc of uncontained electricity. This can result in severe damage to components and devices, electrical shocks, or even fires.

A coil whose measurement on an ohm reader or meter jumps around a lot usually means it has a short. A wire may be touching where it shouldn't, or may actually be broken.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Vision Spinner II. Manual says it has short circuit protection.
That's good it has short circuit protection. Still, we read all the time of batteries that have vented, flamed, or exploded despite having short circuit protection. Batteries are very unpredictable devices.

If your Spinner II fails to fire the coil and only blinks, it's telling you the atomizer has a short.

Last edited:

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
The good coils I made today read 1,6 ohms and 2,3 ohms. I vape the lower one at 4V and the other one at 4,8V and they seem fine.
Im obviously asking cuz I dont want the battery to explode in my hands.
I need an adapter for egos for the ohm meter I got. I place it there by hand and it switches randomly here and there until finally settling at one for a couple tries.

The guys you got in here will know much more than I do. One thing I will caution is the Spinner 2 has around a 2.5 amp limit according to some threads. 1.6 Ohms at 4 volts is 2.5 amps.

Here's a old short thread on it. Look at Bad's chart too.. It may help explain things.

Vision Spinner 2's AMP LIMIT, anyone?? | E-Cigarette Forum

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Vision Spinner II. Manual says it has short circuit protection, but then again its not high tech grip

You're safe Nikita, it will not fire if there is a short. It will also not fire if the resistance is too low but it's not a short. If it doesn't fire sometime, don't keep hitting the button to get it to work, there is a problem and it won't work until you fix it :)

That Spinner has 1600 mAh and though it's not mentioned in the specs for it I feel pretty confident saying it's capable of at least 2.5A output. Here is an online Ohm's law calculator. Plug in 1.6 ohms and 4 volts and hit enter and you get 2.5A and 10 watts. If you increase the volts above 4 the amp draw goes up and if it has a 2.5A limit the Spinner will not give you more than the 4V no matter what you set. If OTOH the Spinner's safety system fails and it lets you draw more current you could have a problem so it's good to check the calculator just to make sure you're in its safe range :thumb:

Reactions: Baditude

Nikita Marinko

Jul 14, 2015
You're safe Nikita, it will not fire if there is a short. It will also not fire if the resistance is too low but it's not a short. If it doesn't fire sometime, don't keep hitting the button to get it to work, there is a problem and it won't work until you fix it :)

That Spinner has 1600 mAh and though it's not mentioned in the specs for it I feel pretty confident saying it's capable of at least 2.5A output. Here is an online Ohm's law calculator. Plug in 1.6 ohms and 4 volts and hit enter and you get 2.5A and 10 watts. If you increase the volts above 4 the amp draw goes up and if it has a 2.5A limit the Spinner will not give you more than the 4V no matter what you set. If OTOH the Spinner's safety system fails and it lets you draw more current you could have a problem so it's good to check the calculator just to make sure you're in its safe range :thumb:

What do you mean? I tried the 1,6 ohm at 4,8 V and it was a dry and the taste was bad. at 4V its good

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
What do you mean? I tried the 1,6 ohm at 4,8 V and it was a dry and the taste was bad. at 4V its good

These batteries heat up when you pull more current (amps) from them than they are able to handle. When one gets too hot it vents and that's when they can burn or explode. The amps pulled form the battery is dependent on the resistance and the voltage you set. The higher the voltage and the lower the resistance, the more amps are pulled. This has nothing to do with how your vape tastes, it's about battery safety.

Your battery should handle at least 2.5 amps safely. Plugging 1.6 ohms and 4.8V into the calculator I linked to gives you 3 amps so if the safety in the Spinner fails you'll be pulling 0.5 amps more from the battery than is safe.

If the Spinner can actually handle 3A which if the vape changed between 4.8V and 4V is probably the case then you're in its safe range at 4.8V should that be a good vape with another juice.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Baditude

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
I started rebuilding my bdc coils today.
What does a short mean?
Some of my first tries were super burnt taste.
Others vape good.
My ohm meter usually jumps around some numbers then sticks to one for a couple tries then jumps again.
Here are some Bermuda Shorts[emoji12]

uploadfromtaptalk1440034174255.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread