What is the best way to use Max VG/High VG liquid in a KayFun?

Status
Not open for further replies.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Welcome to ECF, mdj...

A few things come to mind. High VG has terrible (for our purposes) viscosity issues with wick/seal and "boundary layer" atomizers... the Kayfun fitting the latter category. Some wicking materials have a better capillary action with VG... rayon for example tends to work a bit better than cotton.

You may also have a wick (assuming cotton here) that is too dense. If you're using a pull-through wick, made from loose cotton... the piece should be small enough that you can obtain the necessary diameter with only a few turns in your fingers, and should pull through the coil with only a slight drag.

A mechanical "cure" you can try with your existing set-up is... every few draws, cover the AFC air inlet port, and without firing your mod, take a few moderate draws. This will increase the vacuum signal to the tank and do a better job of pulling the juice boundary layer up to the wicks and the vaporization chamber. Sort of "priming the pump"... if you will.

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
I agree that Rayon wick is superior for wicking. Rayon and cotton are exact opposites when it comes to density of material used in wicking application. Whereas with cotton and its tendency to swell, you use a minimum amout (barely enough to fill the inner dimeter of your coil). With Rayon, you want to put enough in that you hear it squeek in the coil as you pull it through.

I've used several wicking mediums and am sold on Rayon as the best. I use it in my bottomfed RDA and in my KFL+. It is more forgiving with dry hits, also. Just because you get a funky puff doesn't always mean it's ruined like cotton. Cotton does not recover from dry puff IMO.

wonkeypickle

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
'murrikka
i use max vg in my kf as well, the blocking the airhole and pulling trick as described above works best for me, only need to do it every so often. i'm using rayon on a 1.9 ohm coil at 12.5 watts, seems to work well.

for whatever reason i cannot vape 50/50 which works best in the kayfun imo, the pg scratches my throat and leaves it sore. :vapor:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread