Status
Not open for further replies.

baronvoncardo

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2011
SE Wisconsin
www.youtube.com
I'm pretty new to the ECF forums. I've been hitting them pretty hard over the last few days. Something has been on my mind...

The concept of the "throat hit" seems to be a big factor in the quality of the vaping experience. People refer to it when discussing different PVs, atomizers, cartomizers, voltage levels, and juices. It certainly was one of the things I enjoyed about smoking, so it was important to me when trying to re-create the sensation of smoking with a vapor device. It has been awhile since I have had a cigarette, but the throat hit is still something I seek with every inhalation of vapor.

For me, a throat hit is more of a lung hit. When I smoked menthol cigarettes, it was like a mule kicking me in the chest. Oddly enough, that became one of the most pleasurable parts of smoking (insanity?). When vaping, it is more subtle. It is more of an awareness that the warm vapor has been drawn into my throat and lungs, and an awareness when I exhale and it leaves. Some juices, such as menthol flavors, also provide a sensation in the mouth and throat. I have a few juices that provide little or no throat hit and they sit in the box, largely untouched (even if I like the flavor).

I finally decided to post this thread as I was reading a thread about Boba's Bounty. Some people described it as having no throat hit at all. To me it has a significant throat hit (at 18mg). I know there are many factors to consider, such as nic level and voltage/wattage.

What is throat hit (TH) to you? Describe the sensation?

Thanks for indulging my curiosity.

Clinton

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2010
NorCal - The place to be!
TH is also one of the most enjoyable parts of smoking/vaping for me also. I've seen TH described as the irritation of your throat caused by nicotine. From what I've learned, there are 5 factors that determine TH. These are:

1: Nicotine strength
2: Wattage (volts to ohms ratio)
3: PG content
4: Menthol
5: Cinnamon

The higher of any of these 5 factors the better, when you're looking for a good strong shotgun blast to the throat and lungs.

For me, if I were to describe throat hit, it would be that nice warm sensation in the lower back of my throat that moves partially down into my lungs then out, letting me know that I'm working on getting that nicotine fix that we all (well, most of us) crave. Next to flavor, it's the other most important aspect of vaping for me.

baronvoncardo

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2011
SE Wisconsin
www.youtube.com
TH is also one of the most enjoyable parts of smoking/vaping for me also. I've seen TH described as the irritation of your throat caused by nicotine. From what I've learned, there are 5 factors that determine TH. These are:

1: Nicotine strength
2: Wattage (volts to ohms ratio)
3: PG content
4: Menthol
5: Cinnamon

The higher of any of these 5 factors the better, when you're looking for a good strong shotgun blast to the throat and lungs.

For me, if I were to describe throat hit, it would be that nice warm sensation in the lower back of my throat that moves partially down into my lungs then out, letting me know that I'm working on getting that nicotine fix that we all (well, most of us) crave. Next to flavor, it's the other most important aspect of vaping for me.

Thanks, Clinton, good info here. I'm already glad I posted this, learned sumthin' already.

I know TH is a big part of the compulsion to smoke/vape. I think recreating that is a big reason why vaping can really help smokers quit.

Psychomaster

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2011
USA
Another thing I have heard is to add PGA, or Pure Gran Alcohol, to give your juice that kick! I have never tried it, but I just might! TH didn't seem important to me when I started vaping, but when you vape something with no TH, you don't even feel like you are vaping. I have to say that a nice set of FULL lungs is what I like. I can go without a harsh sore throat, but if I have to suffer it to feel the lungs expanding, it is worth it to me.

baronvoncardo

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2011
SE Wisconsin
www.youtube.com
Another thing I have heard is to add PGA, or Pure Gran Alcohol, to give your juice that kick! I have never tried it, but I just might! TH didn't seem important to me when I started vaping, but when you vape something with no TH, you don't even feel like you are vaping. I have to say that a nice set of FULL lungs is what I like. I can go without a harsh sore throat, but if I have to suffer it to feel the lungs expanding, it is worth it to me.

Whoa, grain alchohol, huh? That sounds pretty extreme!

I agree with the throat thing. That raw throat is something that I DON'T miss about smoking.

Sedateme

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2011
Bismarck, ND
For me, it's not so much throat and lung hit, but a mouth feel. The best way I can describe it is the first smoke of the day. You haven't smoked in hours, and that first smoke was always the best. You could feel the smoke in your mouth and the back of your throat very distinctly. That's what I look for and enjoy.

This might stem from me smoking cigars and pipe tobacco for the last few years so YMMV. Haven't had an actual cigarette in years, but I still needed to quit smoking (which I have yay!).

baronvoncardo

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2011
SE Wisconsin
www.youtube.com
For me, it's not so much throat and lung hit, but a mouth feel. The best way I can describe it is the first smoke of the day. You haven't smoked in hours, and that first smoke was always the best. You could feel the smoke in your mouth and the back of your throat very distinctly. That's what I look for and enjoy.

This might stem from me smoking cigars and pipe tobacco for the last few years so YMMV. Haven't had an actual cigarette in years, but I still needed to quit smoking (which I have yay!).

Very good description. I have smoked pipe and cigars, pretending not to inhale, but inhaling anyway. Now THERE'S a throat hit! I'm glad you've managed to quit. Kudos...

wdave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
I'm pretty new to the ECF forums. I've been hitting them pretty hard over the last few days. Something has been on my mind...

The concept of the "throat hit" seems to be a big factor in the quality of the vaping experience. People refer to it when discussing different PVs, atomizers, cartomizers, voltage levels, and juices. It certainly was one of the things I enjoyed about smoking, so it was important to me when trying to re-create the sensation of smoking with a vapor device. It has been awhile since I have had a cigarette, but the throat hit is still something I seek with every inhalation of vapor.

For me, a throat hit is more of a lung hit. When I smoked menthol cigarettes, it was like a mule kicking me in the chest. Oddly enough, that became one of the most pleasurable parts of smoking (insanity?). When vaping, it is more subtle. It is more of an awareness that the warm vapor has been drawn into my throat and lungs, and an awareness when I exhale and it leaves. Some juices, such as menthol flavors, also provide a sensation in the mouth and throat. I have a few juices that provide little or no throat hit and they sit in the box, largely untouched (even if I like the flavor).

I finally decided to post this thread as I was reading a thread about Boba's Bounty. Some people described it as having no throat hit at all. To me it has a significant throat hit (at 18mg). I know there are many factors to consider, such as nic level and voltage/wattage.

What is throat hit (TH) to you? Describe the sensation?

Thanks for indulging my curiosity.

As it was explained to me a while ago, and as your observation indicates, "throat hit" is a misleading term. What most of us are looking for is "lung hit". No further explanation required.

HTH,
Dave

Animeguy

ECF Veteran
Jan 28, 2011
Virginia
I never tried pipe, but I did smoked some cigars. Yeah I also inhaled it. I never understood why people do not. I can't just take a drag and leave it in my mouth it has to go in my lungs. imo camel or marlboro non filters will give you one heck of a hit more than cigars.
I sometimes exhale thru my nose and while doing that take another hit. That does the trick when my juice don't give me enuff TH. I vape @5-5.5V, with 75vg 20flav 5water or vodka. With 2.8ohm atty I get a nice hit.

Greykin

Verified Member
May 20, 2012
Arizona, USA
I also have become addicted to a nose hit.
When i french inhale and then blow it back out my nose and mouth...burns like Chinese hot mustard.
I love it!:laugh:

I've always figured the TH was something like the perception of vapor volume inhaled from the mouth and into the lungs.

Anyways, I too am all about the nose and even smoking analogs I exhaled through the nose quite a bit. While vaping I get way more flavor by cycling my first vapor drag from mouth to nose, then taking a second drag from mouth to lungs while I exhale the first hit out the nose. Needless to say, I take big greedy hits all the time. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread