What makes a perfect supplier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Given the wide range of experiences with suppliers it might be nice for if we gave a list of what we consider important from a supplier. I'll start with my own list of pet peeves that I've run into. For the sake of keeping this thread cooler it might be a good idea to leave out supplier names if giving examples :)

Edited list to include all suggestions. Might help new suppliers some day.

* Out of stock indicator so we don't order and then sit on our hands for weeks waiting. The best would be a note on an expected restock date as well.

* The currency clearly listed so we don't get burned by currency scams.

* Some indication of the base models so we don't have to play detective to find out other sources for consumables.

* Fast shipping. Within 48 hours for in-stock items.

* Order tracking from start to finish.

* A website free from excessive animations, or worse, auto-play video or sounds 8-o

* Responsive CS. Even if the supplier is overwhelmed, a quick note goes a long way to ease the feeling of being ignored.

* Proper packaging of all juice. This includes child safety caps, warning labels and a list of ingredients.

* A presence on this board (that one is a bit selfish, bit it is a WISH list)

* No NRT or any other claim that hasn't been substantiated.

* No fake 'cartridge lasts for 1700 cigarette' claims. Keep them realistic.

* Actually has product to sell

* Real credit card processing, not just paypal

* They take the time to test each item

* A shopping cart with realtime inventory. None of this "send me an email and I'll invoice you" stuff.

* A clearly stated warranty

* Realtime communication such as Skype would be a small plus, but the only reason I'd personally need that is to check inventory. If the site worked like it should, this wouldn't be necessary. I'm not big on the communication thing. I shouldn't ever have to talk with anyone unless there is a problem with my device. If I have a question that needs answering it's because you didn't put the info on the site where it should be.

* Ability to select different shipping options. Free shipping might be great for some folks, but if they're gonna send it first class I'd rather pay $20 than wait several days

I think that about covers it...anyone else have some?

Last edited:

ainako

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2008
Southern California
the perfect supplier also needs to have real-time shipping prices. I have a hard time spending more than 5$ to ship 5 atomizers. If I can get 5 atomizers from China for 8$ shipping using the post office. I dislike shipping quotes based on price. I recommend vaporguys and ecigmall, and if you don't mind waiting ruyandirect.

Deficit

Moved On
Mar 2, 2009
Vienna, Ohio
Getting them to honor their warranties has been a bugger to get from some suppliers, and also having to pay return shipping can get costly, especially from companies that ship a lot of bad parts. Someone on the forums said they ordered an e-cig from a company I won't name, got a few bad parts, paid to ship back, got more bad parts, paid to ship back, until they racked up almost $70 in shipping charges. There comes a point where it's almost cheaper to just buy new replacements.

Not sure how they would work out paying the return shipping, maybe store credit? I think that would be fair. If the shipping cost you $10 to return an item they could hook you up with a box of carts or an atomizer or something. Or if you're going for a full refund, give you the refund plus an extra $10 to ship it back or whatever.

So yeah, warranties and return shipping compensation are the only things I can think of right now. Oh, and FFS I wish some of them would stop trying to charge restocking fees unless you return an item in perfect condition for a refund just because "you don't want it". No one should have to pay restocking fees on bad parts.

kylewinther

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Yeah that would make me angry too! Thats why we just have the customer keep the bad part, throw it away, do what they want with it, and we send them out a new part for free. It makes no sense to me to send it back, what are we going to do with it? Throw it away. Honoring a warranty is definitely a must when in business!

Deficit

Moved On
Mar 2, 2009
Vienna, Ohio
Yeah that would make me angry too! Thats why we just have the customer keep the bad part, throw it away, do what they want with it, and we send them out a new part for free. It makes no sense to me to send it back, what are we going to do with it? Throw it away. Honoring a warranty is definitely a must when in business!

Well, some suppliers ask customers to send back bad parts, understandably, because you have those few bad apples who ruin it for everyone else by trying to scam the supplier into giving them free "replacements" when in all actuality nothing is wrong with the stuff that have. So that part I can kinda see, but there should still be some form of reimbursement for the return shipping IMO.

RjG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2008
Edmonton AB Canada
-A website free from excessive animations, or worse, auto-play video or sounds 8-o

that is a very good list!

LOL - I just clicked on your link, sitting in the living room, notebook speakers were cranked up, I think I woke up the whole house!

I'm clicking on the controls on the little video window in the top right.... Why doesn't the PAUSE or STOP or VOLUME controls work? Aaagh.... now that guy's talking too!

Yes. I agree. Not cool. (no offense Delite)

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
LOL - I just clicked on your link, sitting in the living room, notebook speakers were cranked up, I think I woke up the whole house!

I'm clicking on the controls on the little video window in the top right.... Why doesn't the PAUSE or STOP or VOLUME controls work? Aaagh.... now that guy's talking too!

Yes. I agree. Not cool. (no offense Delite)

Same here! I couldn't get off the page fast enough. Tried to close it out and this "Wait don't go" thing popped up. Not cool is right. I wasn't even interested in staying on the site after that. Too bad :|

Lu

Programmer

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa
Adding a few items:

• Actually has product to sell
  • Real credit card processing, not just paypal
  • They take the time to test each item
  • A shopping cart with realtime inventory. None of this "send me an email and I'll invoice you" stuff.
  • A clearly stated warranty (covered fairly well already)
  • Realtime communication such as Skype would be a small plus, but the only reason I'd personally need that is to check inventory. If the site worked like it should, this wouldn't be necessary. I'm not big on the communication thing. I shouldn't ever have to talk with anyone unless there is a problem with my device. If I have a question that needs answering it's because you didn't put the info on the site where it should be.
  • Ability to select different shipping options. Free shipping might be great for some folks, but if they're gonna send it first class I'd rather pay $20 than wait several days

-Some indication of the base models so we don't have to play detective to find out other sources for consumables.
This one's huge huge huge in my book. Tell me what model you are selling, don't just say it's "your" penstyle. If I can't get compatible parts from at least 3 other suppliers I'm not going to purchase your pen. If you sell RN 4075 and want to call them DSE 901's, that's fine, just at least put RN4075 somewhere in a small font perhaps.

Liberate_Yourself

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 14, 2008
U.S.
www.smokeliberation.com
Those are some great requests guys. I will definitely look-into all of the ones that we don't currently meet. Here are some that we already have in the works:

Real-time Inventory/Stock - We currently have a php/ajax guru working on an inventory tracking system for the site. Keep a look-out for it in the near future.

Part Numbers - We are also going to be including a detailed compatibility list on all product pages. That way you will know if our parts will fit other units, and vise versa. We are currently in the process of updating the whole site right now, and that information will be up within the week.

Shipping - All orders on the site ship for free, and everything ships via USPS priority (2 day service to most states). Is this ok with you guys, or would you still like an option to ship it faster? If so, we can probably implement something..

Warranty - We have a 30 day warranty on all parts (minus juice, of course) and we honor it. If anything goes wrong, we ship a new part out to you asap, before we receive the defective part (if we have it in stock). We know how important your devices are to you, and we want there to be as little down time as possible.

Emails - We answer all emails in a timely fashion. We usually get to them within 1 hour, but definitely within 12 hours, even if we are EXTREMELY busy. I know what it is like to be on the other side of the fence. I wasn't always a supplier, so I know what it is like to have to wait without a response. :)

Programmer

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa
Shipping - All orders on the site ship for free, and everything ships via USPS priority (2 day service to most states). Is this ok with you guys, or would you still like an option to ship it faster?

Can't complain about 2 days! Seems fine to me as long as it's sent out asap. Especially with free shipping!

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention in my list, that the shipping method used should be mentioned on the site. With some of these sites sometimes you just don't know.

Last edited:

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
I think it makes a difference if someone is doing this for a hobby, part time income, or full time income too.

My son started doing some selling on ebay shortly after he started college. Everyday when he got home from school, he would spend a minimum of 5 hours answering emails and preparing orders to ship. He made great money but after awhile, it got too much for him with school so he shut down.

I remember when PS was much smaller and Steve still had a job. I really don't know how he did it but he used to be on here all the time answering questions and contributing to the forum...and now look. It's paid off for him and this is his full time job.

I know how it feels when you send a supplier an email on a Friday and don't hear back until Monday with a "I was away for the weekend" reply. Or you write on a Monday and get a reply on Thursday "I was away on business".

I realize this isn't a full time job for most of the suppliers but availability of person and product is of utmost importance. Just like any other business, "if you want the dime, you gotta put in the time." And those who aren't willing to do so shouldn't get upset when other suppliers are coming out ahead.

I pretty much look at PS now as a newbie site because when I need replacements or juice, I don't want to be waiting for stock to come in or waiting for a thousand other orders to be processed ahead of mine. I really don't have time for that. Availability is still most important to me.

I see a couple of sites (like vaporguys) even have phone numbers to call them if you need help. Now that's availability! And I am glad to give praise where praise is due.

Lu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread