What was YOUR first mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Secti0n31

ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
I've been beating the mod horse for over a month now because A) The mods I've wanted have been out of stock. B) I'm still saving up. and C) I just CANT DECIDE!!

What I'd like to know from all of you guys are the answers to the following questions.

1.) What was your very first mod? Voltage, Battery type, Box or tube, etc.

2.) Was it worth what you paid for it?

3.) Did you end up upgrading, downgrading, or buying another of the same mod?

4.) If given the option, in hindsight, would you get the same mod again knowing what you know now? Or would you have gotten something else?

5.) Why do you like or dislike it, and what would you change about it if you could?

I look forward to reading your responses. Thanks for all of your help.

EDIT: If the mod is uncommon: Where did you get it?

Fusoya

ECF Veteran
May 26, 2009
Dallas, TX
Sure - let's do this.

1. My first mod was the original first-run of the Prodigy. It ran at a regulated 5v, was a tube mod, and took two CR123as.

2. Don't remember what I paid for it - probably ~$100. It absolutely was worth it though as it helped me kick cigarettes my first go round with PVs.

3. I ended up going back to my Pall Mall 100s but since coming back to PVs I've since upgraded to a Darwin.

4. I would have gotten the same mod at that time as there were not very many choices and I don't believe any at 5v.

5. I would have made it so the batteries fit more snug. Also a better battery life.

Best of luck man.

LibertariaNate

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2011
Utah
1) DIY 5v box mod - I purchased the kit from MadVapes
2) $12 + batteries - Absolutely
3) After finding I enjoy HV vaping I purchased a Maxi Roughstack also from MadVapes
4) Probably not, but only because I'd rather not have to build it myself. I'm not very handy with a soldering iron.
5) I love it because it was cheap, and once I got all the kinks worked out has worked flawlessly. I do wish it was VV though.

cskent

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Ohio
1. First mod, an assembled 3.7v boxmod from Madvapes.
2. For $18.99 (at the time) it was well worth it.
3. I've upgraded but still use boxmods, sadly the first one bit the dust when I dropped it 6 ft onto concrete.
4. Would I get the same one again, no I'd get the kit and save myself about $15. They only take 1/2 an hour to assemble.
5. I like them cause they're cheap and vape just as well as mods costing 10x more, they're just not as durable, but hey, buy 3 kits and put'em together and you're still way ahead of the game and you've got a bunch of spares.

Levitas

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2011
Saint Louis

MonkeyBoxx Bottom Feeder Variable Voltage - Wood/Box - AW16340 or 123's

Every penny

I have since gotten a Foxy Box 5v (won from a contest) and another Foxy Box 3.7v (I bought) for travel purposes, to school, the store etc. Without worry of hurting the Monkey

4.) If given the option, in hindsight, would you get the same mod again knowing what you know now? Or would you have gotten something else?

I would definitely of re-purchased this mod again, but sadly because I'd have to wait another 3 weeks for it to come ;)

5.) Why do you like or dislike it, and what would you change about it if you could?

I love that it's a bottom feeder, though I don't always use the bottle feeding system. It's great to have when playing video games or studying and I don't feel like dripping.

I love that it's VV, nothing better than being able to have any voltage ya want.

I love the customation - you get to choose wood types, inlays, cup color, and a personal etching.

I don't like that if I drop it on concrete, it'll probably shatter.

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky

My first mod was actually also my first e-cig. It was an original madvapes rough stack I traded for.

The old cowboy I traded with broke a lariat and he admired one that was hanging on my gun rack in my truck. I traded a $60 lariat for an RS, an almost worn out battery, a hand carved wooden drip tip, a couple of used attys, and about 20 ml of not so good tasting chinese juice. -- After finding better juice on line, I ended up no longer smoking. So, it would have been worth it even if I had traded the lariat, the gun rack, and the truck for that beat up old RS.

I don't really know, but I did end up buying a couple of Rough Stack V2s a couple of months ago. I have other mods, but I can't say what's an upgrade, downgrade etc. The RS's work as well as anything else I have.

As soon as Hoogie has the kinks worked out of the powder coating process, I'll be buying at least one more maxi RS when they come in colors. But, I also have my eye on the megalodon and I'm either going to build or buy a tekk mod.

The one and only thing I don't like about the RS is the switch being so close to the 510 connector. To use MAP tanks or eGo mega attys or tank attys, I have to use a 510 battery extender and it doesn't restrict the airflow at all so the draw is more "airy" than I care for, so I can't really enjoy megas, t's, or my MAP tanks on the RS. I have other tube mods that will accept all three of those devices, so it isn't a big deal... but it is probably why I'm thinking about buying the don.

rrayda

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2010
the icy northlands
Here it goes:

Darwin. VV tube(ish) mod.

Definitely

I can't think of needing another mod. Maybe a bottom-feeder at some point, but it'll have to be VV

I would buy another Darwin in a second.

Like: It feels good in the hand, is easily and completely adjustable, it's very solidly built, the battery last forever.
Dislike: The fit 'n' finish could be better, the brass could be stainless...I hate brass, it's big.

WomanOfHeart

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
Colorado

My first mod was my Chameleon. It does 3.7, 5 and 6V.

Hell yeah it was worth what I paid for it! Especially since you can't buy them anymore. I bought it in the Classified section!

I wish I could get another one! I ended up buying an Indulgence as a second mod.

I would get the same again. It hasn't failed me in any way whatsoever.

I love it because it's small, feels nice in my hand and vapes like a dream. I wouldn't change a thing about it.

ancient puffer

EX PV Collector
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Virginia, USA

My first mod was a puck I made for around $15. Its 4.8v (off the charger) and recharges in 15 minutes. Uses 4 AAA Nimh rechargeable batteries, built into 2 x 4AAA boxes.

Its the cheapest PV I own and also the (2nd) best.

I upgraded to a Reo mini, because I wanted a bottom feeder and didn't want to hassle with building it.

I would absolutely do it again. Its a *great* PV, and I learned a lot about modding and mods.

I love it because it got me dripping and a chance to try higher voltage. I wish I had built a bottom feeder to start with, but it wouldn't have been as sturdy as the Reo.

BiancaMontgomery

SQUIRREL!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
North Carolina
This was my very first mod:
biancamontgomery-albums-stuff-picture16719-bianca-stick-rip.jpg

I'll anwer your questions below....

I've been beating the mod horse for over a month now because A) The mods I've wanted have been out of stock. B) I'm still saving up. and C) I just CANT DECIDE!!

What I'd like to know from all of you guys are the answers to the following questions.

Box mod (3.7v, 14500 batt) (see photo :))

Every penny...it was free. :) (Thanks again Tim!)

The first mod I actually bought was a 5v Turbo from Vaprlife (though I bought it used from a friend). I would consider that an upgrade from a box mod. The Turbo can do 3.7v or 5v, was nice to have the option.

In hindsight, I definitely would have went with a mod with longer 5v batt life between charges. The two I've been happiest with at 5v are the GoldDigger from Aceofvapes and the Genesis (which is no longer being made). For 3.7v, have to go with a mod that takes a 18650...recently discovered a love for bottom feeders...the Phidias is on it's way :).

My major complaint with any mod that doesn't have extremely high mAh batts is (of course) batt life between charges. I found out through trying many different mods how very important mAh is to my vaping experience. Refilling is also a pain at times, so I believe for me the Phidias paired up with a dual coil is going to be my best experience with mods to date. We shalls see. :)

EDIT: If the mod is uncommon: Where did you get it?

Last edited:

TNT

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2009
York, PA
Depends how you define "mod." If the Ego-T qualifies my answers would be very different. However, let's go with:

1. The REO Grand. 3.7v bottom feeder box mod.

2. Worth every penny. It's the Sherman Tank of mods. The last days of Earth will be giant cockroaches vaping REO Grands.

3. Sidegraded. As good as the Grand was, I eventually went with a Provari because it suited my needs better.

4. If I could afford two pricey mods, I'd have another Grand.

5. I liked it for the reasons mentioned above.

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN

A VV Evercool built in a 4" x 2" box

Every penny and then some, awesome vape and battery life.

I thought I would need 18650s for battery life. Turns out the chip the Evercool uses is so efficient giving me at least 4 days and usually more, it was overkill so I've went to a smaller/better looking enclusures with the same chip for everyday usage.

Yes I would do it over again in a heartbeat. Although it's overkill for my regular usage who knows when I'll need a vape in between charges for the better part of a week.

Likes: Consistency, Dependability, Cost, No worry about matching ohms to voltage. and the 10amp rating will handle anything I throw at it.
Dislikes: Plain looking box which I've gotten away from in later builds.

Last edited:

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
First was the REO Grand

Worth more than what I paid

Bought a REO Woodvil, another REO Grand, and another Woodvil

Same REO Grand only a lot sooner!!!

I love REO's because they are built to last. The Grand is solid, built tuff. Woodvil, is so pretty, and a workhorse of a mod. Change? Oh, my only the number of them that I now have!

thomas_mikel

ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2010
Winterfell
Prodigy V2 by puresmoker. 5V tube model.

Yes.

Bought a Protege shortly afterward and went to l/r attys.

I'd go straight to the eGo.

Didn't like the switch/button on the prodigy and protege, didn't have the problems lots of folks had, but I like the eGo better.

Sacker

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2010
USA - Honolulu, HI
Tube: Black Silver Bullet, 18650, 3.7v

Yes worth every penny and more, this tube mod is the one of the industry standards, almost everyone compares this mod to _____ you name it. Reliable workhorse.

downgraded to a smaller type battery : tube : Provape 1, 14500 battery

4.) If given the option, in hindsight, would you get the same mod again knowing what you know now? Or would you have gotten something else? No, I think switching from penstyle 510 180mah battery to Black Silver Bullet using a 2400mah battery was the best solution for my needs as a heavy ex smoker. knowing what I know now, I would repeat the samething again with no changes.

Nothing, I like the quality of this casing, it's built to last. I would change the new version 1.1 back to the old, to give consumers battery options. :D

phonedude

DIY Enthusiast
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2011
Kansas

Steampunk Sparkplug/3.2-3.7/rc123 type/tube (actually my first and only mod)

absolutely .. quite inexpensive actually

Following month I ordered another one because they added the Thermo tube for free allowing 6V

I would order another one .. they have a new one coming out but I don't know when

It was inexpensive but I would prefer the button on the side

No problem .. good thread here :p

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
1.) E-power from Smok Tech. Strong points are modular design, uses 510 connection, rugged construction, uses a good battery that is readily available at good prices. Only cons I can think of is it's size and its 3.7v limit may not suit some folks.

2.) I think it's excellent value for the money.

3.) It's a 3.7v device which is plenty for me. VV is supposed to be in the works, but I don't need it. I also think attys are going to become history for me because of the e-power. I think duel coils for main use and ce2s for dripping and tasting juices is going to make my vaping experience a whole lot simpler.

4.) I'm very happy with the e-power, duel coils and ce2 cartos. I have an eGo for back up but when they go, I probably won't replace them. I am thinking about a box mod for backup though.

5.) Smaller would be nice but in the long run I'd rather have the heavy duty modular design that it has.

:vapor:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread