whats the best battery charger???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Buy the best charger that you can reasonably afford. Generally speaking, the top of the line charger from the most reputable brands by Pila, Xtar, Nitecore, or Efest will suit you well.

A real time display of battery voltage as the battery is charging a nice plus, but not necessarily needed.

I don't recommend any charger which uses coil springs to hold the battery in the charging bay. Spacers or metal sliders are better.

Reactions: tony7432

Papillon61

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2015
Sunshine Isle
Speaking of chargers - and I do recommend the Nitecore D4 with display and auto-cut off and everything - there is something I would like to ask about.

When it displays the mah what is it doing exactly - telling you how much you actually have or how much you need to "build up" so to speak till it is fully charged?

Last edited:

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Speaking of chargers - and I do recommend the Nitecore i4 with display and auto-cut off and everything - there is something I would like to ask about.

When it displays the mah what is it doing exactly - telling you how much you actually have or how much you need to "build up" so to speak till it is fully charged?
I think the chargers that display mAh are showing how much they have put into the battery since you started charging it. So, presuming you drained the battery all the way dry before charging (or as close to "dry" as you plan to ever drain it) then when it's finished, the mAh displayed will be the "true" capacity of that battery.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Speaking of chargers - and I do recommend the Nitecore i4 with display and auto-cut off and everything - there is something I would like to ask about.

How much it is putting back and/or how much it can still hold.

The idea is if you let batteries drain to 3.0 or lower it can give you a decent guesstimate on the life of your battery.

To test this I have a 2100mah battery I know is dead, it will not go higher than roughly 730mah

I vote xtar, cept for the ones I destroyed in accidents they have never failed me. Got a vp at home and a vc in the car

Reactions: Papillon61

Papillon61

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2015
Sunshine Isle
How much it is putting back and/or how much it can still hold.

The idea is if you let batteries drain to 3.0 or lower it can give you a decent guesstimate on the life of your battery.

To test this I have a 2100mah battery I know is dead, it will not go higher than roughly 730mah

I vote xtar, cept for the ones I destroyed in accidents they have never failed me. Got a vp at home and a vc in the car

Well i don't know what exactly going on - with every change in numbers, while the volts are going up the Mahs are all over the place, up and down - though the trend is generally down. I have 2800Mah batteries but the Mahs on the charger don't go past 200 when it's close to fully charged.

Last edited:

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
The Nitecore D2 and D4 show on the display MaH it is outputting to charge the battery, starting high and tapering off as the battery gets closer to full charge, also length of time it has charged a particular channel. Believe the max output per channel is 500mah to start off, tapering down to 300 or 200mah by the end of the charge cycle, compared to Xtar and Efest chargers, Nitecore chargers are slower and what I term a trickle charger which is actually better for the battery. The D2 and D4 use about the same chipset as the i2 and i4, only it has a digital display showing what it is doing.

Xtar and Efest chargers do trickle charge as well, but can be overridden and set into 1amp (1000mah) or 2amp (2000mah) mode for rapid charge, I have an Nitecore i4 and an Efest LUC 4bay, only time I put the Efest into 1 or 2amp charge mode is when I'm recharging my 26650 cells, other than that for my 18650 and smaller it is in .5 amp mode to be gentle on those batteries as I use them the most.

Reactions: Papillon61

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
The Nitecore D2 and D4 show on the display MaH it is outputting to charge the battery, starting high and tapering off as the battery gets closer to full charge, also length of time it has charged a particular channel. Believe the max output per channel is 500mah to start off, tapering down to 300 or 200mah by the end of the charge cycle
I do believe those are milliamps (mA), and not milliamp hours (mAh). One is a rate of charge/discharge, and the other is a total amount.

It's like the difference between "miles per hour" (a measure of the rate or speed at which you're traveling) and just plain "miles" (total distance traveled). Think of "miles" as "mph-hours" (rate * time) and you'll get it. For example, charging at a rate of 500mA for one hour yields a total of 500mAh. So does charging at a rate of 1A (1000mA) for half an hour, or 250mA for 2 hours, etc., just like you can travel 50 miles either by going 50mph for 1 hour, or 100mph for half an hour, or 25mph for 2 hours, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mooch

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
The Nitecore D2 and D4 show on the display MaH it is outputting to charge the battery, starting high and tapering off as the battery gets closer to full charge, also length of time it has charged a particular channel. Believe the max output per channel is 500mah to start off, tapering down to 300 or 200mah by the end of the charge cycle, compared to Xtar and Efest chargers, Nitecore chargers are slower and what I term a trickle charger which is actually better for the battery. The D2 and D4 use about the same chipset as the i2 and i4, only it has a digital display showing what it is doing.

Xtar and Efest chargers do trickle charge as well, but can be overridden and set into 1amp (1000mah) or 2amp (2000mah) mode for rapid charge, I have an Nitecore i4 and an Efest LUC 4bay, only time I put the Efest into 1 or 2amp charge mode is when I'm recharging my 26650 cells, other than that for my 18650 and smaller it is in .5 amp mode to be gentle on those batteries as I use them the most.
Interesting, the xtars show the actual mah its replacing, I just assumed this charger was doing the same

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread