What's the best mechanical mod for cloud chasing

Status
Not open for further replies.

NancyR

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Washington State
There really isn't any best, as so much depends on other factors like what you are running on it, the cells you use and so forth right down to the juice you vape.

Now that said, please if you are going to go to a mech set up make sure you have a multimeter, know about battery safety, have a good charger and cells.

Retro138

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2014
Philadelphia
I have to agree with Nancy. I was at a cloud contest recently and the winner used a 50 watt IStick with an unknown dripper and the juice he used was almost all VG.

There are so many variables that fit what you're chasing personally, it can't be nailed down by anyone really. We can help, but help is all it will be.

petrotech

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2015
indiana
safety first! I use a multimeter, then hook it up to a regulated device and measure it again...cloud chasing has much more to do with the batteries, type of atty, e juice used, and coil build then the actual mod itself....this question has been asked on here a lot, just search for 'clouds' or 'cloud chasing' and something will pop up that will help you some more.

I'd think a dual battery box mod is probably something worth looking at.

Last edited:

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
It will be QUALITY copper or brass, it will have the fewest pieces possible. Beyond that buy the one that you like best. There really is no BEST mech, they are all a metal battery tube with a switch. what make them good is the thing the Juice goes IN, and how you prepare that.. The TOPPER also determine how much battery you need and POWER.

NancyR

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Washington State
I have great batteries and ohms reader I can vape on .14 with ease and safely

An ohm reader is good for checking ohms on a build, a multimeter on the other hand can be use to help check your button, and help with finding shorts in the mod that the ohm meter just won't be able to do, a multimeter can also allow you to check battery charge, and if you ever find yourself not remembering what size a wire is, it can be used to help you find out.

Ohm meters are good for what they do, but they will never replace having and knowing how to use a multimeter with a mech mod.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Hopefully a dual battery box mech, no way to vape safely drawing 100% of any battery's CDR.
4.2v / .14 = 30a.
Leaves zero headroom as a safety margin or ohm reader inaccuracy.

Completely Average said:
The best mod for cloud chasing is no longer a mech mod. They used to be the best, but not anymore.

With 250W regulated mods out there you would have to make a coil at .07ohms on a mech mod to get the same wattage through the coil, and at that point you would really need three 30A batteries running in parallel to be safely within the amp limit. Alternatively you could make a coil with a huge amount of surface area and metal in it and run it at a far higher wattage than a mech could ever achieve.

:thumb: Agree!!

Last edited:

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
The best mod for cloud chasing is no longer a mech mod. They used to be the best, but not anymore.

With 250W regulated mods out there you would have to make a coil at .07ohms on a mech mod to get the same wattage through the coil, and at that point you would really need three 30A batteries running in parallel to be safely within the amp limit. Alternatively you could make a coil with a huge amount of surface area and metal in it and run it at a far higher wattage than a mech could ever achieve.

Now, I can understand why some people just love their mechs. They're cool looking and kind of fun to tinker with. But they're old school and are too power limited when compared to the high powered regulated mods out now. (Which is why those high powered regulated mods are banned from most cloud chasing competitions at vape meets.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread