What's the best vaping device out there so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

canonikon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2012
ny
So before I drop $$$$$ on a Provari, what other devices are one of the best out there?

I like the Reos mods but I were never able to make a nice enough coil to get vape clouds like these so I sold it.

Can someone also explain to me what's the benefits of using dripper at super low resistance a with a mechanical mod versus a Provari?

I want to be able to take this out for convenience too, so I prefer to drip at home and not drop when I'm not home.

What do you guys recommend?

Last edited:

Cacique

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2014
Orlando, FL
You don't have to build crazy coils like that. I use steam-engine to figure out how to do what I want to do. I just built dual .25 (or so) vertical ohm micro coil, 24g kanthal and it came out real nice, especially since it's my first vertical coil. I've only been doing this for a month or 2, just start with simple coils and work your way up.

As for mechs, I really like my copper SMPL mod clone. It's really my first and only mech mod but I haven't found anything else making me want any more. I run a Mutation X v2 clone on it.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
There is no "best" device.
"Best" is a subjective term.

There is a huge difference between any regulated device and a mechanical mod.
It will a depend on how you vape, and your knowledge level.

Do some more research before jumping the gun.
If you understand how each type of device works, you'll be able to make a better choice.

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
I agree with Bad Ninja, but, personally, I would never be able to use a Provari. It wouldn't fire my builds and doesn't have the power to push builds that I did make specifically for it to my preference.

What do you consider super low? It would be safer to use a dual battery unregulated mod if going below .2 ohm. But I fire .21 on my mech tubes all the time. The differences are that the mech will hit harder, look cooler, is easily repairable, and is a simpler electrical concept with a single switch button.

The Provari requires a specific resistance range to fire, has a slow menu system that takes awhile to get the setting you want, and offers a very limited range of available power. Some people love them, though.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
I love my $15 dollar mech being regulated by the $7 kick running a $10 Kayfun nano tank. It does everything I NEED, from a vape.

Therefore the BEST device is a cheap Fastech Clone, built in the 1.7ohm to 2ohm range.

Could vapor and flavor be improved via an Upgrade, Maybe. BUT, Improved does NOT mean better. There are many a product RUINED by being improved.

canonikon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2012
ny
I love my $15 dollar mech being regulated by the $7 kick running a $10 Kayfun nano tank. It does everything I NEED, from a vape.

Therefore the BEST device is a cheap Fastech Clone, built in the 1.7ohm to 2ohm range.

Could vapor and flavor be improved via an Upgrade, Maybe. BUT, Improved does NOT mean better. There are many a product RUINED by being improved.

Any recommendations on your build? Too many items showing up in fasttech...don't know which one to buy...

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Any recommendations on your build? Too many items showing up in fasttech...don't know which one to buy...

Thats the point. It doesn't really matter. If you are after a MECHANICAL, and not doing competition vaping. You just need to decide the size of battery you are going to use and if or if not you will kick it. These 2 are both based on the ohm range you plan to run at. Then get the one that LOOKs good to you. Read the reveiws, focus on quality related issues rather than PERFORMANCE. If you stay above 1ohm, voltage drop and all that crap doesn't matter. FWIW from Fatsech my mod is the Brass Origin Mod, Tank is the cheapest 3.1 Kayfun they had, the 5-12watt kick and cheap $2 charger. batteries and Kanthal I get from Lightning Vapes. DON"T order loose batteries from China, they might not ever deliver. I build coils between 1.6 and 2.2 ohms and use 29 and 30awg for single coils and 31-32 for twisted and dual coils. I got a mech because I could do some Natural power sub ohming if I chose.

If I was going to want to vape mainly in the sub-ohm to 1.5 ohm range I would look at a mid range regulated mod.. By mid range I mean 30-50 watts. If you plan to vape at ohm and higher, I don't see the need of a reg mod of more than watts

Eitherway, you go, It is easy to do a complete setup in the $50-100 range, Quit trying to find the BEST, look for what you like, learn to make that work. This is the only way you will ever even be able to identify the BEST. You must first learn what does NOT work.

Reactions: DPLongo22

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
As subjective as vaping is - the best vaping device for you is unfortunately one you build yourself. The coil portion that is.

There is no need to build superfancy coils. With all due respect for building skills and nice looking coils - some of the linked coils look like someone tried to re-invent the heatsink. Keep it simple, start with basics and work your way in any direction that appeal to you. I believe current 'basics' is learning how to make a micro-coil. Which is no big feat if you get decent instructions.

Check this forum members youtube channel. He has a lot of nice videos on microcoils.

Moonbogg

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2014
Whittier, CA, USA
I can give you a real answer. Get a high powered regulated mod, like the SX350 mini. There is an updated model coming soon with temp control. They have high build quality, sexy design, and 60 watts which I think is enough to drip pretty good. They are compact and have excellent reviews. They will be great for tank systems on the go, or dripping at home as long as you don't need enough wattage to create a time warp, you should be fine.

BigEgo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Alabama
So before I drop $$$$$ on a Provari, what other devices are one of the best out there?

I like the Reos Mods but I were never able to make a nice enough coil to get vape clouds like these so I sold it.

Can someone also explain to me what's the benefits of using dripper at super low resistance a with a mechanical mod versus a Provari?

I want to be able to take this out for convenience too, so I prefer to drip at home and not drop when I'm not home.

What do you guys recommend?

Provari can only go to 20 watts. I do not recommend it for that reason. Sure, it's build quality and reliability is unmatched, but 20 watts in 2015 doesn't cut it. Sorry, Provape, but it's true. If you are a flavor vaper, then 20 watts will probably get you by, but just barely. If you want any decent clouds at all, it won't do.

So that kind of answers your question about mech mods vs. a Provari. A Provari, again, can only push 20 watts, which will be a joke on a subohm build. A mech will push any wattage your battery can stand (which also makes them dangerous).

I would go with a regulated device. There's zero reason to use a mech mod today, especially if you're not familiar with them. Tons of good regulated mods out there. It just depends on what you want. A good quality one is the SX mini if you prefer a single battery -- it is probably the best chip on the market right now (at least out of chips that go higher than 40 watts). If you want more battery life, go with one of the many dual battery mods out there: IPV3, Sigelei 100w, etc..

Last edited:
Reactions: evan le'garde

Mike 586

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2014
Ottawa
Yep, IMO the Yihi sxmini is the ultimate device. That chip is amazing.

While I like my mechs, my DNA40s, hell I still like my MVP 2.0 when I'm using it within its capability, there's just nothing else out there running on a single 18650 that quite compares to what the SX Mini M class coming out in a couple of weeks can offer. It pretty much offers unparalleled control over your vape.

I've just pulled the trigger on a pair of M class SX Minis tonight for the pre-order discount. You guys are finding out before my wife does since she's in bed now....

....I'm not looking forward to that conversation:laugh:

EDIT: It's pricey by a lot of people's standards and if you're looking to skip a few intermediate steps, right now its the best device available. Way better bang for your buck than its closest competition being the DNA40 based devices.

Last edited:

canonikon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2012
ny
While I like my mechs, my DNA40s, hell I still like my MVP 2.0 when I'm using it within its capability, there's just nothing else out there running on a single 18650 that quite compares to what the SX Mini M class coming out in a couple of weeks can offer. It pretty much offers unparalleled control over your vape.

I've just pulled the trigger on a pair of M class SX Minis tonight for the pre-order discount. You guys are finding out before my wife does since she's in bed now....

....I'm not looking forward to that conversation:laugh:

EDIT: It's pricey by a lot of people's standards and if you're looking to skip a few intermediate steps, right now its the best device available. Way better bang for your buck than its closest competition being the DNA40 based devices.

How many different versions are there? I'm hearing 350mini, Mini M, and Mini S class

canonikon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2012
ny
Provari can only go to 20 watts. I do not recommend it for that reason. Sure, it's build quality and reliability is unmatched, but 20 watts in 2015 doesn't cut it. Sorry, Provape, but it's true. If you are a flavor vaper, then 20 watts will probably get you by, but just barely. If you want any decent clouds at all, it won't do.

So that kind of answers your question about mech mods vs. a Provari. A Provari, again, can only push 20 watts, which will be a joke on a subohm build. A mech will push any wattage your battery can stand (which also makes them dangerous).

I would go with a regulated device. There's zero reason to use a mech mod today, especially if you're not familiar with them. Tons of good regulated mods out there. It just depends on what you want. A good quality one is the SX mini if you prefer a single battery -- it is probably the best chip on the market right now (at least out of chips that go higher than 40 watts). If you want more battery life, go with one of the many dual battery mods out there: IPV3, Sigelei 100w, etc..

Dangerous?

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Dangerous?

Yes, dangerous.
There are no safety measures with a mechanical mod.
Building a coil that exceeds your battery's limits can cause the battery to "vent" or explode.
Yes, explode.
You need to know what you are doing.

This is why we STRESS learning the basics of OHMs Law.
This is why we don't recommend certain devices to new vapers.

Regulated devices have safety features that will protect against shorts.

canonikon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2012
ny
holy shi.....I didn't know it can explode the battery. Looks like I'll be getting a non-mech for safety measures.

Edit: Just googled about it and HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII !!! I will never buy a mech ever again...since I'm a complete idiot with engineering, wiring, and electric. Have no idea what Ohm is really.

Thanks Bad Ninja, I think you just saved my face from being blow off.

http://imgur.com/a/KHcuP#h85I6Bp

Yes, dangerous.
There are no safety measures with a mechanical mod.
Building a coil that exceeds your battery's limits can cause the battery to "vent" or explode.
Yes, explode.
You need to know what you are doing.

This is why we STRESS learning the basics of OHMs Law.
This is why we don't recommend certain devices to new vapers.

Regulated devices have safety features that will protect against shorts.

Last edited:

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto
Everybody will have different ideas to whats best for them ... for me, it is a Provari topped with a Kayfun.

I just traded my never used 50w box mod for a used Provari.

I only vape for flavour and the clouds are bigger than anything a cigarette gives off.

Sent via iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread