Status
Not open for further replies.

MsShona

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2014
McKeesport, PA, USA
www.rishona.net
Since I started vaping, I've always selected 50/50 PG/VG e-liquids. As a newbie, I figured that would be a good place to start I guess. I have about 7 flavors, including a menthol (tobacco) and dessert flavors. They come from 4 different suppliers. In general, I find the sweet flavors to be harder on my coils (I'm using the Kangertech MOW clearomizer with a 1.5 ohm coil).

In my recent order from Mr. e-liquid, they threw in a free sample of their Icarus e-liquid. It's a no-nicotine, 67 PG/33 VG blend (they call it their "signature blend"). I must say that I'm pretty surprised. With my 50/50 e-liquids, you feel this, I dunno, 'film of taste' build up in your mouth if you are vaping for a while. I find that the Icarus was a much cleaner feel to its vapor. I know that PG is for the flavor, and VG is for the clouds, but I actually find that this liquid still produces a good amount of vapor. And you don't need to draw as long to get it; and it has a lighter consistency (don't linger as bad) when exhaled, but it's still copious.

In regards to flavor and throat hit, it's hard for me to comment. I definitely miss the nicotine 'bite' in this liquid. I'm not really getting any type of throat hit; in spite of the higher PG. Or maybe it's just because I'm so very used to the liquids with nicotine. Not sure. :confused:

I know that many people swear by 100% VG e-liquid. However are there any out there who prefer PG e-liquid?

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto
It also seems like the higher PG produces a cooler vape. This is so hard to tell/test though! Unless you happen to have another bottle of the same flavor, but with a different blend. :glare:

I've been making juice for a year ... higher PG should not produce a cooler vape ... hot or cool depends more on voltage.

Verb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Eastern, PA, USA
It also seems like the higher PG produces a cooler vape. This is so hard to tell/test though! Unless you happen to have another bottle of the same flavor, but with a different blend. :glare:

Depending on your setup, PG has less viscosity and can wick to the coil quicker. Keeping it cooler. There are ways to get VG to wick well too.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
*Raising hand*

I vape 80% PG at the very least, usually 83%-85%. I gotta have throat hit, even though I don't vape tobacco flavors -- and yeah TH really is a combo of nicotine and Pg; you can compensate to some degree for *low* nicotine with higher PG, but really good TH requires both. That VG film you describe apparently builds up in my asthmatic lungs to the point that it constricts my already-tetchy airways, so I absolutely CANNOT vape more than 25% VG, or I can't breathe; really 80% PG works better, while 85% really brings the TH.

Andria

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
My experience with high VG juices is that they produce a cooler vape with low throat hit and a sweet undertaste. Too much VG and I can sense an faint oily film in my mouth after a while. It seems to coat the lungs and produce a slight sense of O2 reduction.

OTOH, I like 10% to 30% VG component in my juice mixes. At that level there's not a lot of coil contamination and the vapor is smoother and thicker than with 100% PG. 100% PG can be a little harsh, but those who like high throat hit swear by it.

Last edited:

UnclePsyko

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2013
PJNY
I prefer higher PG... the majority of my juices are 70-75% PG.
Too high of VG does seems to make my flavors seem muted and overly sweet, and I'm not a fan of cloyingly sweet vapes.
PG carries the flavors great and adds a little "kick" to the TH.

As others have mentioned, some people get "heavy-lung" from high VG juices, a feeling like you can't really seem to catch your breath.

Maiar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2014
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
I've also been all over the board with PG/VG ratios and still prefer 50/50. Everything has it's ups and downs though. High VG makes great clouds but gunks up your stuff. High PG i find floods your stuff easier and burns faster but has great throat hit and a cleaner flavor. 50/50 is the best of both. Clean flavour. Nice clouds. Easy on your tanks and rarely pulls any flooding nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread