Why can't I get big clouds with my mechanical mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamteresah

Aug 28, 2015
So last week I bought my first mechanical mod.. an infinite stingray mechanical mod clone and I could never get those big clouds you'd see other people who have mods get. I use an 18 mg nicotine with 50% PG and 50% VG (I also have juice with 100% VG and juice with 0 nicotine but those are 50% VG) and I use the purple efest 18650 3.7V 2500mAh battery. I've fully charged the battery and I still don't know why I can't get big clouds. I didn't try the 0 nicotine juice with it yet, just the 18 mg nicotine 50 vg. Am I doing something wrong to not get big clouds?

Ou2mame

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2015
Long island
Ok there's a few issues here. What tank or rda are using?

Another thing is juice. Vg makes clouds, pg makes flavor. So the higher the vg, the bigger the cloud.

Also the battery you have is an efest, which is a rewrap, which means we don't know who made it or what it actually is.

Once we know what kind of tank or rda you're using, at what ohm, then we can recommend a battery to you that will be safe. A good charger is also a very good investment. And by investment, 15 bucks is enough to be safe. Most battery accidents happen during charging.

Reactions: Mooch

vincom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Philippines
first of all you shouldnt be using a mech mod.
mech + rda = big clouds
read more, get ohm reader, get good batteries, learn ohms law, learn coil building, then u can get a mech.
if not willing then get a high power regulated mod + rda = big clouds
nautilus will never get u big clouds but a good sub ohm tank/rta will be close to an rda cloud wise.

Last edited:

Strings

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2014
Manitowoc WI USA
Well... you shouldn't have problems with battery safety with the nauty on a mech. But you aren't gonna be getting big clouds

I would suggest learning about how to safely run a mech before going any further. Mechs don't have the safety features of a regulated mod: not understanding things like Ohm's law when running one is a good way to have a bad day

Ou2mame

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2015
Long island
The Nautilus isn't really a cloud type tank. You're going to want to look at the delta 2 or Arctic tank or other sub ohm tanks. I would run 0.5 ohm coils with a Samsung 25r battery and charge it with a nitecore d2 charger. They are all relatively cheap. The delta 2 can be found on vaporbeast for like 15 bucks now with coupon codes it's a steal.

dbrandt01

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
Alabama
I'll echo everyone. Nautilus isn't a cloud tank. It's more of a mouth to lung tank. The Nautilus are prebuilt coils, I believe at 1.6 or 1.8 ohms. That in a mech mod wouldn't get clouds even if it was with an RDA. 50/50 e-liquid doesn't matter too much in clouds. I've vaped 50/50 and got good clouds in an RDA.

You should read up on battery safety and ohms law though before using a mech mod. If your shop recommended a Nautilus on a mech mod, well I'd pick a different, better and more knowledgeable shop.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
You could try a Subtank (22mm?) with the 1.2ohm or 0.5ohm. The 1.2 is nice vape (for me), the 0.5 will be more cloudy.. for sure! :)

Aspire do some subohm tanks... if you like their style.

a 0.5ohm coil (atomizer) on a mech (fresh battery) will start you around 30-35 watts, depending on the voodoo art of efficiency.

Reactions: Denvap0r

Denvap0r

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2014
Colorado
Is this mech mod your first mod?

I would recommend you get a regulated mod. Maybe an Istick 30 or 50. Maybe pull out the mech mod later on when you're a little more familiar with everything and are getting into dripping or RTAs. I believe you would have a more satisfying experience with the Nautilus on a regulated mod.

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
You should read up on battery safety and ohms law though before using a mech mod. If your shop recommended a Nautilus on a mech mod, well I'd pick a different, better and more knowledgeable shop.
I believe you would have a more satisfying experience with the Nautilus on a regulated mod.
Definitely this! ^^

Using you Nautilus on a Mech mod will give you a VERY anemic vape at best. On a fully charged battery (4.2v) you are only getting 11.3 watts using the 1.6Ω coil. And as your voltage drops your wattage goes down.

Put that same tank on a regulated mod and up the wattage (I use to run mine at 15-17 watts) and you will get a much better vape. However, it won't give you loads of vapor because the airflow is limited.

Whoever sold you on that combination needs to go "back to school".

Last edited:

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
to put it simply.... the tank you have now doesnt have low enuf ohms to produce clouds on mech... you will need to get below .3 ohms to start seeing decent clouds... but first, buy an ohm meter to check out your builds and go play around on Steam Engine to see how changes in coil size, wire dia, # of wraps change the values...

Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

Last edited:
Reactions: Izan

MoDmAnDaN

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2013
Spanaway, Wa.
I have to agree with most of these posts to some extent. You don't have to go super sub-ohm to get clouds though. A subtank running at .5 with a regulated mod is safest for you since you're just getting into it.

Definitely learn proper battery safety and ohms law, it'll be your friend if you decide to build your own coils and use a mech mod!!!

I've changed my style of vaping over the last year. I used to be in all the cloud comps I could find and insisted that a dripper with dual coils on a mech was the only way I could vape. But recently, I've switched to "almost" nothing but regulated mods with either Delta 2 or Kanger Subtanks. I enjoy clouds..yes, but I also like the convenience of tanks (don't drip and drive) and adjustable settings depending on the tank and coil.

There are some people who say tanks are for wussies, but I don't care what they say and the vast majority thinks tanks are just fine. At this point, tanks are what I love and will stick with it!! I still use my favorite drippers at home, but nowhere else.

Last edited:
Reactions: DingerCPA

themightyturtle

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2015
Bryson City, NC
no I don't have an ohm reader. I got what the shop I bought the stuff from recommended for my type of mod

It's time to find a new shop. I cannot stand the irresponsibility shown here. Sadly this is neither the first or last of these instances.

MoDmAnDaN

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2013
Spanaway, Wa.
Your absolutely right 'turtle, There are so many popping up right now and the lack of knowledgeable sales folks is the problem. Young kids is what I typically see, a few older, but for the most part, just kids who think vaping is cool and know next to nothing about proper safety. I only frequent a few shops around here whom I know are serious vapers and respect it.

mjrshark

Jun 6, 2015
disassemble the mech mod , remove atomizer/battery , leave it in drawer , get regulated mod like istick 30 or anythin similar and try it. stay on this setup for while and read around forum to know what u doing.

i was going to mech mod for my day 1 of vaping since they are so cheap clones and fire high compared to some regulated mod in same price. but if something went wrong , i may melt my face and that's not worth it.

dont try to do what many do in youtube , their mod/tank/juice and plus their lung has major on making cloud, not all are same.

MoDmAnDaN

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2013
Spanaway, Wa.
Just for an FYI, since so many people seem to be a bit misinformed, while the Nautilus isn't exactly a great tank for blowing clouds.....

It's not as bad as many of you seem to think.

No one is saying it's bad tank, in fact my wife has two of them. We're just saying it's not designed for making big clouds (self admitted). It's also not ideal on mech mods, much better suited on a regulated mod. She has two of the new Istick 40w TC and the nautilus is perfect on them.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Reactions: David Wolf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread