Why do we still call them "e-cigarettes"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluse

Moved On
May 26, 2015
Just two cents, it seems a lot of the ongoing stigma against vaping could be at least partially avoided if we dropped the word 'cigarette" from the name.
Why not rebrand and call them personal vaporizers instead? If people ask me about my set up I no longer tell them I have an e-cigarette I just say it's a vaporizer. Thoughts?

Kahina

Verified Member
May 16, 2015
Land of many beaches.
I've committed to calling it a vaporizer when anyone asks about it. And plenty of people are asking. It doesn't look like a cigarette, smell like a cigarette, taste like a cigarette or burn like a cigarette (including the hole in your pocket). You don't even use it like a cigarette.

Because it's not a cigarette. It's way better than a cigarette. It's a vaporizer. It's got me off cigarettes.

Tomorrow AR

May 25, 2015
Arkansas, USA
I've committed to calling it a vaporizer when anyone asks about it. And plenty of people are asking. It doesn't look like a cigarette, smell like a cigarette, taste like a cigarette or burn like a cigarette (including the hole in your pocket). You don't even use it like a cigarette.

Because it's not a cigarette. It's way better than a cigarette. It's a vaporizer. It's got me off cigarettes.
Me too! The ship may have sailed but it's not too late. Language changes with the common usage. We just need to be persistent and patient in correcting ignorance when we encounter it. :)

Skitterpop

ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2015
Nova Scotia Canada
When I first started vaping and people would ask me what it was I would tell them it was a e-cigarette. The usual response was oh you are still smoking and they would walk away. Now I tell them it is NRD (nicotine replacement device), they will generally ask what is that. This gives me a chance to hopefully enlighten them on the health benefits of vaping over smoking. Does not always work but I meet with much more success.

Last edited:

tvapernow

May 25, 2015
When I first started vaping and people would ask me what it was I would tell them it was a e-cigarette. The usual response was oh you are still smoking and they would walk away. Now I tell them it is NRD, they will generally ask what is that. This gives me a chance to hopefully enlighten them on the health benefits of vaping over smoking. Does not always work but I meet with much more success.

Hi Skitterpop;

I try real hard not to call mine an ecig. I try to call them PV's (Personal Vaporizer) to get away from the cig connitation completely, since i am using mine for quitting or at the least harm reduction.

Rabbit Slayer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2015
Scottsdale, AZ
Reactions: mauricem00

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
Because sitting there for 5 minutes explaining that "vaporizer" does not naturally imply "illicit substances" is a real nuisance.

Seriously. Look up "vaporizer" -- the first hit is not about e-cigarettes.

By saying, "it's an e-cig" rather than "it's a vaporizer," I don't have to explain "it's nicotine e-liquid".

Reactions: caferacer

Rabbit Slayer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2015
Scottsdale, AZ
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Inappropriate and disruptive

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
And saying, No, it isn't for ******** it is for nicotine is too complicated??

And then you get the, "Oh, well I know they make vaporizers for [illicit substance here] and they look like that." (Whether you're using a box mod or a ego.)

It just seems easier to use the term people are commonly used to/prevent further confusion. If they're interested I'll likely use the term "PV" or "personal vaporizer" or "vape" when elaborating, but for a layman it's just far easier to hear "e-cig" because it immediately eliminates the other possible alternatives.

Lastly, this is an argument of rather "pedantic semantics", and will go nowhere fast.

Reactions: caferacer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread