Status
Not open for further replies.

pappertapper

Verified Member
Apr 14, 2012
USA
I've seen a couple threads about rewicking and plan on doing this with some of my old clearomizers. My problem is that there are just too many options and I have no idea which one to chose! Most of the suppliers only sell huge quantities that I would never be able to use as well. This is why I need to find a supplier that sells small quantities so I can try a few different kinds and get it right. Can anybody make this a little simpler for me? Thanks for any help

-pappertapper

pappertapper

Verified Member
Apr 14, 2012
USA
If you have'nt already found some you can get relatively small amounts of wire and wick at COV. Odysseus - iAtty 2 - USA, Canada, Mexico only

Thanks for the link! I read about 20 pages on a wick post here and got a few ideas, but really didn't want to read the other 45 pages or so lol. Didn't find many good posts about wire tho. Will look into this

Brent Davis

Oct 3, 2012
Kentucky, USA
Ebay is the best place for Kanthal, mesh and silica wick that I've found. It's 5 to 10 times cheaper than buying in small quantities- I paid $10 for 100 ft of A-1 Kanthal.

Oh, and silver wire is great for NR wire, as it is essentially non-resistive.

Well is silver the best quality to use as in it will last longer and not get the .... taste from buildup on it? and about how long do your coil / wick last when you make them before you throw them out?

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali
Depending on what you're rebuilding, you probably want to use kanthal only. Certain devices, like the Vivi Nova, require the leads coming off of the coil to be NR wire, which essentially makes the coil R wire with NR wrapped around the leads of it.

Silver wire on its own will not work.

I don't use silica wick anymore, but your Kanthal coil should last a long, long time. Generally, the wick will burn first after a few weeks or months, depending on how you vape. I use only stainless steel mesh as my wicking material of choice now- I have no idea how long it lasts, but I have not had to rebuild any of mine yet after getting it to work right. SS mesh will probably outlive the coils

Last edited:

Brent Davis

Oct 3, 2012
Kentucky, USA
Depending on what you're rebuilding, you probably want to use kanthal only. Certain devices, like the Vivi Nova, require the leads coming off of the coil to be NR wire, which essentially makes the whole thing NR wire with Kanthal wrapped around the actual coil part of it.

Silver wire on its own will not work.

I don't use silica wick anymore, but your Kanthal coil should last a long, long time. Generally, the wick will burn first after a few weeks or months, depending on how you vape. I use only stainless steel mesh as my wicking material of choice now- I have no idea how long it lasts, but I have not had to rebuild any of mine yet after getting it to work right. SS mesh will probably outlive the coils

can you post some pictures of how you modded a vivi nova head or stardust head with mesh vs silica wicks and also I have to ask why did you go that route exactly?

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali
yeah, I have the tutorials posted on my blog (ninjavapes). Link is at the bottom of my posts in my signature. I actually don't even use the Vivi Nova's anymore, because I'm so much more impressed with true rebuildables now (phoenix and DID clones, mostly). Originally, I rebuilt the Vivi because I *hated* it for its wicking issues, burnt-taste-issues, and flavor loss issues. In fact, I still despise it, and make sure to tell the fanboys how much of a flawed device I think it really is... I mean, in stock form, it's finicky and nearly useless- and technically, it is NOT designed to be rebuilt! It's designed with throw-away heads for a reason- because eventually, you'll go and rebuild it and accidentally cause a short, killing your mod or your hand or face...etc etc. These among other things.

Anyway, I kept the tutorials up because they DO work...you just need to be cautious. By design, a rebuilt Nova will never perform as well as a true genesis or RBA, but it is mildly-acceptable when rebuilt properly with kanthal and SS.

gemi

Verified Member
Mar 2, 2012
Houston, TX, USA
About the silver wire. Do you use 30 or 32 AWG?

Ebay is the best place for Kanthal, mesh and silica wick that I've found. It's 5 to 10 times cheaper than buying in small quantities- I paid $10 for 100 ft of A-1 Kanthal.

Oh, and silver wire is great for NR wire, as it is essentially non-resistive.

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali
About the silver wire. Do you use 30 or 32 AWG?

Unlike R wire, the thickness of silver wire will not have a noticeable effect on the overall resistance of your setup. I would go with the 32 AWG if you're using 32 Kanthal as your R wire, as it will be easier to connect the two together.

gemi

Verified Member
Mar 2, 2012
Houston, TX, USA
Don't know if I should put the link here but the one I am looking at is described as .999 FINE SILVER (NOT STERLING) 30 GAUGE ROUND WIRE HALF HARD. Has a .01022 inches or .255MM diameter. I will use it with either 30awg or 32awg A1 kanthal.

Thanks.

Unlike R wire, the thickness of silver wire will not have a noticeable effect on the overall resistance of your setup. I would go with the 32 AWG if you're using 32 Kanthal as your R wire, as it will be easier to connect the two together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread