Will lowering my battery voltage by 0.4 volts up its life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Do you mean high voltage hits? btw I love your signature.
YES AND NO.. What they are really refering too is LOW ohms.. Voltage levels are relative to the ohm rate. Low ohm coil can pull more power than a high ohm coil at lower voltages.

So yeah, like with anything else if you use less, what you have lasts longer.. Also remember you battery life is rated at difference power levels than you use. And since you can't do perfect discharges and charges, you will not match the average they do in testing. Less voltage draw wont affect the NUMBER of charges. They way you drain and charge the battery will though.

jambi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2014
SoCal
I have an "alternate philosophy". Granted, batteries are expensive but I've concluded that in the grand scheme of things, they're actually the cheapest part of the vaping equation. I just use them within their design parameters and vape for maximum enjoyment, rather than maximum battery longevity. I mean, that's what vaping is for me after all, enjoyment.

I've learned to plan my vaping investments so I don't need to worry; all my equipment is regulated, and I never (well...rarely) exceed 35 watts or build lower than .5 ohms. I don't adhere to those limits for the sake of equipment longevity, and I don't need to since my equipment can perform far beyond them. Those ranges are just my own personal "happy zone". I don't consider them self-impositions...I mean, I already have enough restrictions in my life, thanks! I also have a drawer full of "restrictive" vaping gear that performs below my happy zone. I'd say it's worthless, but no; part of the learning process, part of the overall investment.

Point is, if I wake up one morning and decide I want to bump it up to 50 watts, I can and will. Not going to worry about the battery and don't have to...the equipment will do its job and cut me off if I go buck wild.

If you want to go to 4.7, go. If you're at the point where you're really concerned about pushing the limits of your equipment, it might be time to upgrade. If and when you do that, consider your investments wisely. Cheaper at the moment isn't necessarily cheaper in the long run. Believe me, I have the drawer full of obsolete gear to back that up. Whatever you buy, just make sure it keeps you in your happy zone with room to grow. Better to be satisfied than to be counting battery discharge cycles, no?

Last edited:

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
$6.50 for something you will use for over a year is expensive?

In guessing the OP is talking about a stick battery? Like an ego?
If so the 300 charges is figured in a perfect world scenario, which will never happen.

And the off brands I doubt will ever come close. The cost of tossing a stick battery is what drives many to replaceable battery type mods, something you may want to consider.

Depending on the chemistry some rechargeable 18650 batteries are rated as high as 1000 charges.

For the cost of one ego you can get 4-5 rechargables like Samsung or lg that will last way over a year when rotated.

Taking steps to pamper a stick battery wont have any noticeable effect beyond a few dozen extra charges if your lucky.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
When you say the way I drain do you mean the % of the battery that I decide to recharge at?

We really need to know what type of battery / power device & delivery device & resistance you're talking about.

4.2 v using a 2.4 coil/head draws substantially less amps from the battery than using a .5 coil/ head at 4.2v.

Ego type & regulated APV's / anything with low voltage protection won't allow the battery to drain too low, they quit firing = time to recharge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread